Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Panama Canal or Hawaii?

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a decision on which cruise to do in April. I'm currently booked on the Infinity to do the Panama Canal, but really thinking about changing it to the Centure to cruise to Hawaii.

I love sea days, but not sure if I can do 4 to 5 straight days at sea just yet. If any of you have done either or both!! of these cruises can you give me a quick overview so help me make my final decision.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Admiral

The Panama Canal is our favorite cruise besides Alaska.
We like sea days so 4 days won't bother us. I love to do the 28 day on the Star or Sapphire . That cruise has 18 + sea days.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Admiral

We have not cruised to Hawaii,but we did cruise to the Panama Canal last year and it was fantastic .
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
First Mate

I've done them both, on HAL, and loved both. If you or your travel partner is a techno-junkie, definitely do the canal. But in April you'll likely see whales in Hawaii. You'll probably enjoy both, so the question actually becomes, which should you do FIRST.

Whether or not you can "do" the four days each way to Hawaii depends a lot on what you like to do on board. They always have extra games, activities, and lectures on sea days. If all you're going to do is sit somewhere and read, you may get bored.

Only you know what kind of cruising activities you like. Want to go ziplining? Probably the canal. Want to trek around a volcano? Definitely Hawaii.

Whichever you choose, if you plan to have a good time, you will.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Talking

Thanks for the feedback everyone.... I've booked Hawaii. I'm looking for a less busy travel experience in April and I think this will suit us well. Lot's of down time.....
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
First Mate

Cool I would book the canal

Hawaii will always be there, the canal you were going through may not be there much longer. The new canal is going to be opened in 2014 which would accomodate the larger ships of today. In April you could see the new construction and visit the original one at the same time. Not sure if old one is to close or if both will operate, but the new canal would be great to see during construction and in a few years after.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old November 26th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Both set of locks are to be left operational after the expansion.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.... I've booked Hawaii. I'm looking for a less busy travel experience in April and I think this will suit us well. Lot's of down time.....
You made the right choice. We have been to Hawaii twice and plan to go again in 2013.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Admiral

We are booked for twice for Hawaii . One in Nov 2012 and another in April 2013. Second is with friends of ours. The first is by ourselves.

Ships Sailed:

Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks again for all the feedback... Haven't never been at sea for more than 2 days in a row (which I loved), can you give me some idea of what type of activities and Celebrity Life events are offered? I think I'll be fine just reading and relaxing, but should plan for the "just in case"!

Thanks
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Familiar Face

i am looking for cruise cabin mate for panama canal on infinity on march 26 th let me know if you interested
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Icelady,

We booked both as a B2B on the Millennium this coming October - 16 night Panama (East to West) and an 11-night Hawaii, from Ensenada to Honolulu.

We've done the Panama before, and it's a great and relaxing voyage. Used to live on Maui, but have never sailed there. That should be fun.

Either cruise, you're going to have a wonderful time. I'm curious to know what the Century looks like now, since they refurbished it a few years back.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Panama hands down. Hawaii deserves more than the time a cruise spends there. Cruising to and from Hawaii would be at the bottom of my list.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets