Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
So rare it happened on all 3 formal nights with at least 10 different couples that I saw?

I was chatting to two of the couples(age late 60s) in Michael's club ; they said they had only packed shorts and capris and had absolutley NO intention of dressing up and NO intention of NOT eating in the MDR.

They were on a Caribbean cruise and would dress according to temperature.

As I said an interesting cruise

Annie
Selfish, inconsiderate people...I could'nt even think about not wearing appropriate attire. Some people have no class whatsoever. The people in shorts should have been told that they were not allowed in the MDR for dinner. They can eat in their stateroom !
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Default Dress code

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Henry

On your last cruise what was the dress code adherence on formal night?

I have never seen so many jeans in the MDR The expressions on some of the faces was priceless - I swear I even saw many in shorts and 'muscle' t-shirts around the ship on formal night- so different from my last Celebrity cruise.

The food and service had deteriorated as well - but I made a few comments - someone left me an attention to detail card to complete - mistake - but kudos - huge improvement very quickly - at least they listened and reacted very quickly.

Annie
There were 2 mandatory formal nights and one optional formal night . On the first formal night I wore a black tuxedo suit .A high percentage of men wore sports jackets and some with jeans .

The second formal night ,a higher percetage of sport jackets .On the optional night I chose to dress as I did the first 2 nights but I would say 70% of the men were dressed casually .
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

1 - I sure would love some more entertainment choices, am I right

2- I agree I wish people would get a little more fancy from time to time, I mean you are on a cruise am I RIGHT!

3- The SPA! and SHOPPING!
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

What is all the fuss about dress code? Live and let live. We are year 2012.
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff7xs View Post
What is all the fuss about dress code? Live and let live. We are year 2012.
If you know there is a dress code and you don't want to participate, why did you pick Celebrity? We are in year 2012 and there are other cruise lines that do not have format nights.

As more and more people are allowed to not abide by the dress code, I can envision some day I will feel out of place for wearing a tux on format nights.

O F C'er
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Dress Code doesn't bother me, to me it's such a small part of the cruise experience. I do think they should just scrap it though if they're they're not going to enforce it.

I would like them to be more liberal with bringing wine on from ports

Fix their bloody website which is probably one of the worst in the industry

Keep their current Formal Night Rules that only apply to the MDR leaving the rest of the ship Smart Casual +

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post
If you know there is a dress code and you don't want to participate, why did you pick Celebrity? We are in year 2012 and there are other cruise lines that do not have format nights.

As more and more people are allowed to not abide by the dress code, I can envision some day I will feel out of place for wearing a tux on format nights.

O F C'er
How about we ask them to just pick another dining room for formal night? Not wanting to dress for formal is no reason to pick another cruise line. Sure Celebrity has them, but it's only applicable to the Main Dining Room, not the rest of the ship. Specialty Restaurants, Blu, Theatre, Lounges, Bars, etc. are smart casual every night. Celebrity's definition of smart casual also includes Jeans. So someone that wore jeans on a NON formal night, is just following Celebrity's policy.

I hate the "Find another cruise line" stance, it's silly for a two hour dinner, twice a week. Just eat elsewhere and cruise the line that you like.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Admiral

For us, formal night's gives us a reason to dress up. Depending on the coast you live on, and we live on the west coast, most people dress from casual to sloppy, cruise or no cruise. Business attire seems is limited to upper cooporate levels. So we look forward to the opportunity to wear 'dress up' wear.

The only caveat to this has been in 'air travel'...packing suits, gowns etc. With the suitcase weight and size guidelines, we intend to travel lighter and with way fewer pieces of luggage. My husband will rent a tux and I will bring only wrinkle resistant, light weight type evening dresses. I've seen some that are simply lovely and pack easily. Yes, it's a challenge and it can be done...but it does take planning.

I do agree, if you don't want to dress up on formal night...it's no big deal...simply eat at one of the alterative restaurants. Don't take a 'juvenile' stand on the issue. Save your protests and bravado for something that has real meaning. Walking into a restaurant in your shorts and T'shirt, when everyone else is in formal attire is making a statement about yourself and standards, just not the kind you think.
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
How about we ask them to just pick another dining room for formal night? Not wanting to dress for formal is no reason to pick another cruise line. Sure Celebrity has them, but it's only applicable to the Main Dining Room, not the rest of the ship. Specialty Restaurants, Blu, Theatre, Lounges, Bars, etc. are smart casual every night. Celebrity's definition of smart casual also includes Jeans. So someone that wore jeans on a NON formal night, is just following Celebrity's policy.

I hate the "Find another cruise line" stance, it's silly for a two hour dinner, twice a week. Just eat elsewhere and cruise the line that you like.
You are right. What I was thinking but did not express it correctly is: "If you know there is a dress code and you want to eat in the MDR and don't want to participate, why did you pick Celebrity?"

O F C'er
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Hi Trackypup

My solution was make the lower MDR formal and upper MDR smart casual.

It should work

Annie
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We're Elite on Celebrity altho our last cruise was to Italy on Oceania's Marina. As much as I like Celebrity (and they unexpectedly upgraded us last time from Concierge to a Royal Suite!!) I really liked Oceania a bit better. But to address your point about dressing up for dinner. That's exactly the opposite of why I cruise. I want to relax and not worry about wearing a suit and tie. I'm not advocating jeans and sloppiness, but formality isn't relaxing for me. Plus, a suit takes up more space in our luggage. But we play along, and although I don't wear a tux, I will suffer with my suit and hope I don't spill. Different strokes.....
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsbob View Post
We're Elite on Celebrity altho our last cruise was to Italy on Oceania's Marina. As much as I like Celebrity (and they unexpectedly upgraded us last time from Concierge to a Royal Suite!!) I really liked Oceania a bit better. But to address your point about dressing up for dinner. That's exactly the opposite of why I cruise. I want to relax and not worry about wearing a suit and tie. I'm not advocating jeans and sloppiness, but formality isn't relaxing for me. Plus, a suit takes up more space in our luggage. But we play along, and although I don't wear a tux, I will suffer with my suit and hope I don't spill. Different strokes.....
Agree - formal + vacation is like oil and water to me.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post
You are right. What I was thinking but did not express it correctly is: "If you know there is a dress code and you want to eat in the MDR and don't want to participate, why did you pick Celebrity?"

O F C'er
Agree 100%...why would the people who dress formal be pushed out of the MDR..why can't the people who don't want to dress formal just hang out at the pool and have a burger or hotdog....or go to the cafe for a buffet dinner. Its been like this since the begining of time and it will never change considering how many people love formal night.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Banned
Captain

Well another thread has been hijacked by a number of posters...this is about Celebrity cruise line survey..NOT A TIT FOR TAT VOLLEY ON WHY YOU WANT OR NOT WANT FORMAL NIGHTS.

If the posters want to continue posting about formal or not formal then just start a new thread...Lets see "Formal nights or no formal nights"...thats a good start for a new thread.
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Agree 100%...why would the people who dress formal be pushed out of the MDR..why can't the people who don't want to dress formal just hang out at the pool and have a burger or hotdog....or go to the cafe for a buffet dinner. Its been like this since the begining of time and it will never change considering how many people love formal night.
But it has already changed. Since this is a Celebrity board, let's look at them. Couple of years ago the Specialty Restaurants that were always very formal every night went smart casual on formal nights, last year jeans came off the prohibited list in the MDR and now Blu has dropped formal nights and is smart casual every night. If you don't think that's moving away from Formal then you're burying your head in the sand. It has changed already.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
But it has already changed. Since this is a Celebrity board, let's look at them. Couple of years ago the Specialty Restaurants that were always very formal every night went smart casual on formal nights, last year jeans came off the prohibited list in the MDR and now Blu has dropped formal nights and is smart casual every night. If you don't think that's moving away from Formal then you're burying your head in the sand. It has changed already.
It dont matter to me....I cruise on Crystal and the higher end lines from now on...I wont be on the so called mass market lines..BTW I hate sand and the beach...so I would'nt be caught burying my head in that.

Go to the MDR on the mass market lines in a bathing suit...jeans and a tee shirt... don't matter to me...I will be on Crystal...Silversea where fine dining and atmosphere is the norm, I won't have to put up with people in jeans at dinner...thats my choice..I pay for the cruise, I will dress as I want...thats the bottom line.

Being on Crystal I doubt I will see anyone in jeans at dinner in the MDR. Higher quality of food, classy ship and all inclusive...the only way for me from now on.

have you had a chance to take a peek at the videos of the High end line's yet...there are many on You Tube...Seems like classy dressing to me.

Oh yea almost forgot...formal wear is on all lux lines....

Send out the F.B.I. This thread is Hijacked.

Last edited by buttons16; July 1st, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It dont matter to me....I cruise on Crystal and the higher end lines from now on...I wont be on the so called mass market lines..BTW I hate sand and the beach...so I would'nt be caught burying my head in that.

Go to the MDR on the mass market lines in a bathing suit...jeans and a tee shirt... don't matter to me...I will be on Crystal...Silversea where fine dining and atmosphere is the norm, I won't have to put up with people in jeans at dinner...thats my choice..I pay for the cruise, I will dress as I want...thats the bottom line.

Being on Crystal I doubt I will see anyone in jeans at dinner in the MDR. Higher quality of food, classy ship and all inclusive...the only way for me from now on.

have you had a chance to take a peek at the videos of the High end line's yet...there are many on You Tube...Seems like classy dressing to me.

Oh yea almost forgot...formal wear is on all lux lines....

Send out the F.B.I. This thread is Hijacked.
Since you obviously have a disdain for us simple people, I am glad you will not be on Celebrity ships anymore. There is class and there is class and some people just exude that they don't have any.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Why is it that when someone brings up dressing on formal nights it's high jacking the thread; yet when you included it in the very first post it's ok???

And if you have no intention of ever cruising with the common folks, why on earth did you even bother to start this thread?
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea View Post
Why is it that when someone brings up dressing on formal nights it's high jacking the thread; yet when you included it in the very first post it's ok???

And if you have no intention of ever cruising with the common folks, why on earth did you even bother to start this thread?
Read the entire thread very carefully and notice who keeps bringing up they dont like formal dinner...and they think its on the way out...

After you read the entire thread...only one poster will keep raising her trackypup I mean head and always has to counter.....But its all good...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Since you obviously have a disdain for us simple people, I am glad you will not be on Celebrity ships anymore. There is class and there is class and some people just exude that they don't have any.
Well actually I was just answering TRACKYPUPS continiuous volley...she seems to always want to rebuttal my statements. But thats what this forum is all about...I will just volley it back into her court and wait for her to volley it back to me...I welcome a good volley.

You see she's trying to tell me that eventually all formal dinner's will soon be gone, so shes actually trying to stir the pot because she knows I love formal nights (read the entire thread real close and you will see what I mean).

But if she wants to believe, that I don't mind....I will cruise on Crystal and SilverSea not because I think I'm better, but because I love the real formal dinner's, higher quality of food and better service.

Is'nt The bottom line with us all is to sail with a line you think you will enjoy, and if you find that line then stick with it...

That is the basis of my attitude towards why I am sailing on the lux lines...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Couple of things, I don't think I've ever said they're going away on all lines. I said they have gone away on some lines. Regent and Seabourn have changed relatively recently unless on long voyages. I'm not sure Oceania and Azamara ever had formal nights.

Secondly, you haven't cruised in 7 years so you may want to before telling us how things haven't changed

And lastly, you've never cruised a luxury line so you really don't know how it's going to compare.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Couple of things, I don't think I've ever said they're going away on all lines. I said they have gone away on some lines. Regent and Seabourn have changed relatively recently unless on long voyages. I'm not sure Oceania and Azamara ever had formal nights.

Secondly, you haven't cruised in 7 years so you may want to before telling us how things haven't changed

And lastly, you've never cruised a luxury line so you really don't know how it's going to compare.
I will volley back to you and state I am cruising on Crystal cruises in December because :

I love formal dinner and Crystal offers that

I love the higher quality of food that will be offered

I will love the more attentive service

I will love the more classier ship

BTW, If I decide to sell my business (Unsure at this time) I will make up for lost time by cruising multiple times a year on Crystal and SilverSea.

P.S. What you did say was that I should'nt bury my head in the sand...I think you also said that Crystal is one of the lone holdouts...Which could be the reason why I will be cruising with them.

Speak to me in the early part of Jan and I will let you know how Crystal was and I would be more then happy to tell you how the lines compares to other lines.
Have to tend to some business...your volley...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Admiral

I really have no desire to engage you in whatever little twisted game you think you have going on. So let's just agree to keep this board civil. It's a nice place to hang out.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I really have no desire to engage you in whatever little twisted game you think you have going on. So let's just agree to keep this board civil. It's a nice place to hang out.
I agree to keep this civil....hope to speak to you soon on some other topics...Have a good night.

P.S. I was only answering some of Your statements.
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via MSN to HNLGAL Send a message via Yahoo to HNLGAL
Default I agree.... BUT

Quote:
I am not sure if I agree. Like I stated if I want to cram in as many games and stunts as possible then I would take a Carnivale cruise. However cruising is not always about how much beer I can drink in 2 mins or whatever other stunt is dreamed up. Sometimes to some people a cruise means just that, a relaxing elegant form of traveling. Maybe take in a book in the library, maybe a cup of coffee or a martini. How about a wonderful dinner some great conversation and a nice show to take in, then maybe some dancing.... Thats my idea of a cruise....relax, breath in and out...and take in some sun as you drift off in dreamland....

Like I said the reason for so many different cruise lines is because everyone does not have the same taste.
The one thing that stood out in my mind on our last Celebrity cruise (Infinity up to Alaska) was that there was this wonderful fellow giving talks (and some visuals behind on a screen) about what to expect, look for, enjoy etc. at each port the next day. He was very informative and yet very entertaining and we learned alot about Alaska just listening (and watching) him. Can't think of his name off the top of my head but he was excellent. I do think that this sort of 'event' is enjoyed and appreciated.