Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Banned
Captain

Default Summit to Bermuda..NO WAY

After visiting Bermuda aabout 3 times the last being 6 years ago, I thought I found paradise...Am I wrong.

After reading a few articles and watching a You tube video of the Burmuda police stating how crime has sky-rocketed I am now thinking twice about Bermuda.

According to the police and Bermuda newspaper there are now 5 gangs dug in on the Island of Bermuda...Graffitti and trash has now been littered in the streets and on buildings.

Violent crime such as Shootings and rape have soared. Just watch the You tube video of Titled crime in Bermuda.

the police now say that the place with the most crime per capita in the entire world is Bermuda...SHOCKING But consider there is only 65,000 people living in Bermuda...It is now advised to not roam at night....also a big crime is robbing of scooters after the owner leaves it. Home break in are now common...

How bad has it gotten try this one for size...The mayor of New York City Micheal Bloomburg who is a multi-billionare and owns a home in Bermuda has sent his top gang police officers to Bermuda to try and slow down the crime rate...this is actually against protocol....

Well I will still cruise on Celebrity...I will just not sail into a port with this much civil unrest....AMAZING.

Last edited by buttons16; February 27th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Admiral

I was in Bermuda recently ,my second time there . I spent 7 days on the island and no crimes were written about in the newspapers .I was out at 3AM and felt safe .
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bottons16, U guys are writing about Mexico & Bermuda every were it's bad I'll just stay home no more cruising for me.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think you should perhaps not watch so much you tube. Every place has some crime, given that, you would not travel anyplace....now, your fave place is off limits?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 28th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Really I have to join PoppaDock on this one. Did watch the You Tube video on crime in Eastern PA? I don't know if there is one. Life is too short to live in fear.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Apparantly they don't listen to their own local news.
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Here's a link to the official crime statistics for Bermuda. The trend for the past five years is down as well as overall crime for last year...

http://www.bermudapoliceservice.bm/u...Year%20End.pdf
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Default Living in fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Really I have to join PoppaDock on this one. Did watch the You Tube video on crime in Eastern PA? I don't know if there is one. Life is too short to live in fear.

For some people the answer is to never leave their homes.
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Admiral

I go where I can and I don't worry about the crime. I have been in quite a few places and the only place that I felt that I was in danger was in Vietnam.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Admiral

The only place I ever feared being in was a part of NYC .
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
The only place I ever feared being in was a part of NYC .
All cruises most stay home or stop reading BOTTONS16 post.
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppadock View Post
All cruises most stay home or stop reading BOTTONS16 post.
I am just trying to be safety minded...I spent 6 years in the military and fought for this country. I am tired of seeing violence...So I am trying to pick out a somewhat safe destination. I do understand there is crime all over. I have seen it and have been shot serving over seas, so I just want to be extra careful...ok.

If my posts have offended you then Im sorry. I am also sorry for the civilians who were just murdered by the Somolia Pirates just a few days ago. When will people learn to stay clear of the coast of Africa...I just dont get it.
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Admiral

I personally try to stay away from parts of PA
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I personally try to stay away from parts of PA
If you are trying to make this personal it won't work because I will not debate you nor argue with you...

BTW - have you found out if there is a welcome aboard lunch ?
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Default PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
If you are trying to make this personal it won't work because I will not debate you nor argue with you...

BTW - have you found out if there is a welcome aboard lunch ?
I said I was incorrect re the lunch , I posted that on 2 different threads .

I would not go to Bethlehem ,Allentown or parts of Philadelphia .

A friend of mine is a college Professor in Philadelphia and he fears for his safety when he leaves campus late at night .
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am female and usually travel solo. Everyone, at one time or another, finds themselves in a potentially unsafe situation that they did not anticipate being in. This can happen anytime, anywhere. These are the risks you take while traveling to new and unfamiliar places. For example, I, personally, did not feel safe in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, while friends who were there loved it. This was just my experience. All you can do is to be aware of your suroundings and try not to do anything foolish. I would also like to add that the next port after Jamaica was Grand Cayman. I felt absolutely safe in Grand Cayman and would actually fly and stay a week there if I could!
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Golden, two beautiful islands so close, yet miles apart in public opinion.

GC so wealthy, with banks galore, and one where you get off the ship, you are put in a position of saying no to drugs.

One time in GC, we saw a bank transfer taking place...armed guards, with machine guns on every corner, helped a caravan of trucks make haste.

One island,.. you many stay onboard because the seas are to rough to tender....the other island, you stay onboard because you want to...that will be me, if I sail there again.

Old March 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I said I was incorrect re the lunch , I posted that on 2 different threads .

I would not go to Bethlehem ,Allentown or parts of Philadelphia .

A friend of mine is a college Professor in Philadelphia and he fears for his safety when he leaves campus late at night .
Well Pennsylvania is a huge state. I dont live any where near Philadelphia, Allentown or Bethlehem. Though I do agree with you conclusion on two of the three area's you mentioned. Bethlehem is not as bad as the other two.

I live 2 1/2 hours away from Philly. And I agree that place is a dirty nasty place.

I Happen to live on top of a mountain. The nearest place to me is a general store about 4 miles away. And yes a real general store which also houses a small post office. My block is on the edge of a state forrest. I live on 2 1/2 acres with all sorts of animals roaming around...Deer, Rabbits, a few bear's, skunks (Pew) groundhogs, turtles, frogs, snakes, woodpeckers, racoons, owls,and even bob cats...yes there is ore to Pennsylvania then that place they call Philadelphia. Many beautiful places...and even a old Civil war battlefield (Gettysburg).

Last edited by buttons16; March 1st, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Golden, two beautiful islands so close, yet miles apart in public opinion.

GC so wealthy, with banks galore, and one where you get off the ship, you are put in a position of saying no to drugs.

One time in GC, we saw a bank transfer taking place...armed guards, with machine guns on every corner, helped a caravan of trucks make haste.

One island,.. you many stay onboard because the seas are to rough to tender....the other island, you stay onboard because you want to...that will be me, if I sail there again.
Agree 100 %....seeing the Turtle farm and the place called "Hell" was rather boring...Not much to do on Grand Caymen unless you scuba dive....It is not worth the effort of leaving the ship..And yes seeing all those Guns is not a very tourist friendly site...As far as Jamaica goes...I went once and would never go back...IMHO you can keep the Western Carribrean route.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Here's a link to the official crime statistics for Bermuda. The trend for the past five years is down as well as overall crime for last year...

http://www.bermudapoliceservice.bm/u...Year%20End.pdf
Take a close look at which crimes are increasing...here they are

MURDER
ASSAULT
SEXUAL ASSAULT
BURGLARY
CRIMINAL DAMAGE'
FRAUD DECEPTION
WEAPONS OFFENCES
MANSLAUGHTER AND SERIOUS ASSAULT HAS NOT CHANGED
AND THERE IS A REPORT THAT THE BERMUDA POLICE DOWNGRADE MANY CRIMES.
this makes alot of sense...trying to give a false sense of security, and they dont want to hurt the tourist business....you posted the results...and its right there in black and white.
Oh auto theift and indecent exposure is down...well thats great...MURDER IS UP....well that is'nt so great.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Button, I think GC is quite safe.The machine guns were to protect the "millions" that were being moved...Seven Mile Beach is wonderful,and the shopping is upscale, maybe not for everbody, but I've seen enough tee shirt shops to last a lifetime. Once the pier is built, there will be many happy cruisers,and Captains.

Last edited by Trip; March 2nd, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Default Hmmm

I Happen to live on top of a mountain. The nearest place to me is a general store about 4 miles away. And yes a real general store which also houses a small post office. My block is on the edge of a state forrest. I live on 2 1/2 acres with all sorts of animals roaming around...Deer, Rabbits, a few bear's, skunks (Pew) groundhogs, turtles, frogs, snakes, woodpeckers, racoons, owls,and even bob cats...yes there is ore to Pennsylvania then that place they call Philadelphia. Many beautiful places...and even a old Civil war battlefield (Gettysburg).[/QUOTE]

Is there crime of violence where you reside ? I have a friend that lives on top of a mountain.The nearest place to him is a general store 3 miles away .He lives on 3 acres with similiar animals but ni NY ,not PA . The town that is closest to him has a high crime rate .

There is zero crime where he lives .

I live in an area surrounded by water on three sides . My town has one main road ,no movie theaters ,no bowling alleys . There is zero crime here ,we are ,however ,adjacent to a town that has a high crime rate ,but if you were to google the town I live in you would see that they have not had a crime of violence since 1997 .
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default cruising

Buttons16, your post on crimes & assault sounds like the USA.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppadock View Post
Buttons16, your post on crimes & assault sounds like the USA.
Sadly but I agree with that.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I Happen to live on top of a mountain. The nearest place to me is a general store about 4 miles away. And yes a real general store which also houses a small post office. My block is on the edge of a state forrest. I live on 2 1/2 acres with all sorts of animals roaming around...Deer, Rabbits, a few bear's, skunks (Pew) groundhogs, turtles, frogs, snakes, woodpeckers, racoons, owls,and even bob cats...yes there is ore to Pennsylvania then that place they call Philadelphia. Many beautiful places...and even a old Civil war battlefield (Gettysburg).
Is there crime of violence where you reside ? I have a friend that lives on top of a mountain.The nearest place to him is a general store 3 miles away .He lives on 3 acres with similiar animals but ni NY ,not PA . The town that is closest to him has a high crime rate .

No I do not live anywhere near NY...it would take about 2 1/2 hours to drive to the closest part of Ny near me.

Crime of violence...yes there were 3 family disputes within 5 miles of my house...one of the disputes led to a wife shooting her husband and killing him while he slept...she was sentenced to death and is currently on death row...one was no violence just a verbal dispute and the 3rd was a punching...the husband was sentenced to 1 year probation and ordered to leave the house...since then the wife took him back...
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post

No I do not live anywhere near NY...it would take about 2 1/2 hours to drive to the closest part of Ny near me.

Crime of violence...yes there were 3 family disputes within 5 miles of my house...one of the disputes led to a wife shooting her husband and killing him while he slept...she was sentenced to death and is currently on death row...one was no violence just a verbal dispute and the 3rd was a punching...the husband was sentenced to 1 year probation and ordered to leave the house...since then the wife took him back...
Sorry that you reside in an area where you are subjected to crime and fear of same.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Sorry that you reside in an area where you are subjected to crime and fear of same.
Oh No Henry, Dont be sorry. Nothing to be sorry about. I don't want you to worry at all. Somehow I made it well over 50 years living in the same area...I also made it through a war....my oh my now that was violent. What I am worried about are the rabbits that run around my property...I just hope they don't get too violent...or the deer, racoons, bobcats, bears,groundhogs,and all the other animals....I won't know what to do if any of them get out of hand...Geez....so far I have been lucky, but you never know when an owl will swoop down on you...Lions and tigers and bears OH MY....But I do appriciate your concern and somehow I will manage in my crime infested area....ok, I have to go now and check to see if my front door is locked...bye for now Henry...
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I receive a large amount of email regarding Bermuda, as it is one of my favorite places. This thread was one of them. As I found the title quite odd, I decided to read the posts and now comment. I first watched the youtube video. Maybe you should watch it again, Im not trying to be mean at all. Anywhere you travel will have some crime (by the way folks, crime is down in NYC, dont diss on it, it doesn't make for an intelligent post.)

Do some research on any other island you are considering sailing to and come back and post your results. I respect that you have fought for our country and want to protect yourself, but if in fact that is your mindset, would you really put yourself in any bad area on your own on ANY island? I watched exactly half the video and I was done. Im sure there is crime in your backyard - or 4 miles away, down the road and it might not make your local news reporting. And, if not your immediate town, Im sure there is one "nearby" and you most likely know of townes that you would make sure to avoid. You should follow rules like that when travelling anywhere outside your own area.

BTW, did I mention how safe NYC is people?

Go, cruise, enjoy and live HAPPY. You only get one chance. And.........

SUMMIT ROCKS! It is a gorgeous, classy, hot ship! The ultimate in modern luxury! I hope you enjoy luxury.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:36 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBeauty View Post
I receive a large amount of email regarding Bermuda, as it is one of my favorite places. This thread was one of them. As I found the title quite odd, I decided to read the posts and now comment. I first watched the youtube video. Maybe you should watch it again, Im not trying to be mean at all. Anywhere you travel will have some crime (by the way folks, crime is down in NYC, dont diss on it, it doesn't make for an intelligent post.)

Do some research on any other island you are considering sailing to and come back and post your results. I respect that you have fought for our country and want to protect yourself, but if in fact that is your mindset, would you really put yourself in any bad area on your own on ANY island? I watched exactly half the video and I was done. Im sure there is crime in your backyard - or 4 miles away, down the road and it might not make your local news reporting. And, if not your immediate town, Im sure there is one "nearby" and you most likely know of townes that you would make sure to avoid. You should follow rules like that when travelling anywhere outside your own area.

BTW, did I mention how safe NYC is people?

Go, cruise, enjoy and live HAPPY. You only get one chance. And.........

SUMMIT ROCKS! It is a gorgeous, classy, hot ship! The ultimate in modern luxury! I hope you enjoy luxury.
Good post...

I started this thread because about 6 years ago, Bermuda had no gangs...That is a fact...violent crime was just about non-existant...However in the last couple of years 5 gangs have dug in on the Island of Bermuda...something that no one would have thought possible considering the average household income is highest in in the Carribean and Most of the USA...Seondly you can't just decide that you want to move to and live in Bermuda...you must show the government that you are able to support yourself in Bermuda....

To hear that gangs and murder were becoming a problem in Bermuda was and still is shocking to say the least...My wife and I use to walk all over Bermuda at midnight...would we now...probaly not..

Think about this...One of the most beautiful Islands in the world...with some of the highest family income...now has gangs...along with Grafitti on buildings and drugs....very depressing....
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Captain

Smile

You seem to be a little obssed with crime and saftey.Sounds to me if you are so worried about it you should just stay home ! Everypost you have posted is about crime and violence! Me I tend not to spend my life worrying about every little thing I would rather enjoy life and take it as it comes.All tho I think I am smart enough to keep my self out of bad situations but I am not going to let it control my life.Have a good day and take care its a scary world out there filled with crime and horrors around every cornor