Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Default Our Solstice cruise is almost here

We leave in 2 and half weeks. We were able to upgrade to a sky suite for $300 more total with the final price drop before final payment. I am very excited.

Anything special I should look out for on the Soltice or in Europe? Our ports are Split, Kotor, Venice, Naples, Rome , Livornio, and Toulon.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Enjoy!! what do you have planned for each port?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Default Venice/Kotor/Rome

Hi

Where do you dock in Venice? and how much time do you have?

Kotor

Lucky you! Stunning - IMHO more beautiful than Dubrovnik which is a Wow in my book ; I saw one of the Costa ships berthed there last year - say 5 minutes walk from the City Walls. Just walk around and enjoy.

Rome

So much to see - what are your interests and how much time do you have?

Annie
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sounds like you got a fabulous deal! Take the Herculaneum tour in Naples...Much easier to get around then Pompeii,and just amazing. I love this class of ship,and I want to hear all about it on your return. Have a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Docking in Venice, I understand it is still the scenic way-but I have no idea what that is called. Plans-let see Naples- Pompeii, Pompeii museum and pizza. Rome-is a 10 hour tour that includes the Forum, coliseum, Trevi fountain and Vatican plus an authentic Italian lunch. Livornio-we go to the Leaning tower of Pisa in the morning and in the afternoon a Tuscan winery. Venice we do on our own. We bought that Rick Steives Med travel book and he recommended buying a 24 water bus pass to ride all over-which we will do-but we also will do a gondola ride and go to an old Palace (and a Venetian glass factory? I think). Kotor and Split we will do on our own and go to another famous palace at one but I forget the name. From Toulon we go to an old town called Aix.

Especially for Venice, Kotor and Split-let me know if thee is something we have overlooked. The other places we have booked tours which will keep us busy. We will be in Venice overnight.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 30th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sounds like you got a fabulous deal! Take the Herculaneum tour in Naples...Much easier to get around then Pompeii,and just amazing. I love this class of ship,and I want to hear all about it on your return. Have a ball!
Trip sounds great but hubby is wanting Pompeii. I have heard that area is really wonderful so maybe we can go one day and see that and Sorrento also.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 30th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Aiz-en-Provence - lovely.

The palace in Spit is the Diocletian ? I think - you can can't miss it.

In Venice - I would just hop on Vaperetto No 1 and stay there all day - that is the Grand Canal route.

In Pisa the Leaning Tower is situated in the Field of Miracles; if you get the chance visit the Bapistry. Collectively the Field of Miracles puts the Taj Mahal in the shade IMHO.

Annie
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post

In Venice - I would just hop on Vaperetto No 1 and stay there all day - that is the Grand Canal route.

Annie
Couldn't agree more...who needs the ships transfer to St. Marks, hop on the #1 and don't get off

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Enjoy that sky suite, bet that will be a real treat, plus the itinary....Looking forward to hearing about this amazing cruise, Bon Voyage.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mom, I don't blame your husband one bit..Pompeii is a wonderous place,and had been on my bucket list for eons...For me though, it was much to expansive to get around. Take tons of pictures, and share them with us.

Have the best cruise evah!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Aiz-en-Provence - lovely.

The palace in Spit is the Diocletian ? I think - you can can't miss it.

In Pisa the Leaning Tower is situated in the Field of Miracles; if you get the chance visit the Bapistry. Collectively the Field of Miracles puts the Taj Mahal in the shade IMHO.

Annie
Thank you Annie-that about Venice is what Rick Steives's guidebook says-he says it is a great value-we will still do a gondola rid thoguh-got to-it's Venice!

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 31st, 2012, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Mom, I don't blame your husband one bit..Pompeii is a wonderous place,and had been on my bucket list for eons...For me though, it was much to expansive to get around. Take tons of pictures, and share them with us.

Okay I will-Linda I have heard so much about that area of Italy that I really think we should come back if at all possible. It will be a few years though-it is just not in our budget to do this often.Hubby has several other things on the bucket list-but maybe we can go again at some point!

We watched a documentary on Pompeii a couple of months back that Netflix had-I may watch again before we leave (it streams)-hopefully that will help me to take more in on it.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 31st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Thank you Annie-that about Venice is what Rick Steives's guidebook says-he says it is a great value-we will still do a gondola rid thoguh-got to-it's Venice!
On gondola rides, many gondoliers tout for passengers near the Rialto Bridge - good deals were to be had the last day I was there.

Enjoy

Annie
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
On gondola rides, many gondoliers tout for passengers near the Rialto Bridge - good deals were to be had the last day I was there.

Enjoy

Annie
thx-got most of my packing done-only have toiletries and medications left. They go in last minute. By now this time next week our ship will be out to sail.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old July 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Trip I tired to add pics to my profile-your site would not let me-do not know why?

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old July 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Enjoy

Annie
Annie-it was hot so we did this in the evening as I am very sensitive to the sun-100 euros but well worth it-and there were four of us-so still less than ship's price.

I keep trying to post an album on my profile but I keep getting a message that a security token is missing-not sure what that means. If anyone can tell me how to post a link from Flicker I will post that.

I have now achieved-
139 days total