Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Technical Help needed - Celebrity TV/Laptop hook up

Hi there,

We are off on our second Celeb cruise next week.
Last time I took my laptop with the intention to connect up to the cabin AV system and watch our own movies through the TV.
Looks like I need a hdmi cable, but no-one on board had one to test.
We are going on the Silhouette, does anyone have experience of 'hacking' into the AV system via hdmi and accessing from the generic TV input menu or is the TV 'locked' to Celebrities central server?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerT View Post
Hi there,

We are off on our second Celeb cruise next week.
Last time I took my laptop with the intention to connect up to the cabin AV system and watch our own movies through the TV.
Looks like I need a hdmi cable, but no-one on board had one to test.
We are going on the Silhouette, does anyone have experience of 'hacking' into the AV system via hdmi and accessing from the generic TV input menu or is the TV 'locked' to Celebrities central server?

Many thanks in advance.
Since you've received something like 60 responses on the other board, I'm sure you know by now that the units are not supposed to be "hacked." and therefore are disabled.
Old August 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Since you've received something like 60 responses on the other board, I'm sure you know by now that the units are not supposed to be "hacked." and therefore are disabled.
Not supposed to be and not possible are 2 different things.

I'm a IT techie by profession, and am quite capable of changing a couple of settings and then reversing the changes before leaving, but without the set infront of me, it's not so easy to know which cables to take along.

It appears it can be done rather simply:

There were only 5 responses on the other forum by the way, but thanks for bumping this thread

Last edited by Trip; August 18th, 2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: to remove commercial link
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Not supposed to be and not possible are 2 different things.

I'm a IT techie by profession, and am quite capable of changing a couple of settings and then reversing the changes before leaving, but without the set infront of me, it's not so easy to know which cables to take along.

It appears it can be done rather simply:

There were only 5 responses on the other forum by the way, but thanks for bumping this thread
Whether you are an IT tech by profession is irrelevent, they are in that state for a reason. Just annoying that people think they can do anything. What other rules do you break.

Last edited by Trip; August 18th, 2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: rto remove commercial link
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Admiral

There were two threads that you were involved with that had well over 5 responses.
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
There were two threads that you were involved with that had well over 5 responses.
and ... ?

Didn't you say:

Quote:
To be honest I really don't understand you input. Seems like you think it is your job to police other people's lives when it clearly has nothing to do with you, nor any impact on you.

Ever thought of getting yourself a hobby where you can contribute rather than berate others? just a thought

PS. Was it the word 'hack' that got you so excited. If so, my apologies, the term is used in IT to be synonymous with 'work around'

Have a great day
Old August 18th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
and ... ?

Didn't you say:

To be honest I really don't understand you input. Seems like you think it is your job to police other people's lives when it clearly has nothing to do with you, nor any impact on you.

Ever thought of getting yourself a hobby where you can contribute rather than berate others? just a thought

PS. Was it the word 'hack' that got you so excited. If so, my apologies, the term is used in IT to be synonymous with 'work around'

Have a great day
You have no clue what your are talking about as far as Policing other peoples actions. I don't have to describe my helpful posts on this board and others. Just don't like when people violate the rules and think they are a world of their own. By the way, I had a job and am now retired and the word hack doesn't bother me. Seems you are making a lot of assumptions about things you know nothing about.

If you have such an urgent need to break the rules why not contact the cruise line as others have done and do it the right way. No excuse whatsoever not to do that.

Last edited by dkjretired; August 18th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.