CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Celebrity Reflection Conveyance (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/391900-celebrity-reflection-conveyance.html)

Paul Motter September 17th, 2012 06:16 PM

Celebrity Reflection Conveyance

Celebrity Reflection Conveyance
by Paul Motter

The fifth and final sister ship in the Celebrity Solstice class is the largest and most exciting vessel in the family.

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM...tion-werft.png
Refection was floated out on August 13th Celebrity Reflection just made its way down the Ems River in it "conveyance" to the North Sea. Conveyance s the word that has been coined by the Meyer Werft shipyard for the process of getting a brand new ship down the very narrow river where the shipyard is located.

The Meyer Werft Shipyard is now one of the most popular shipyards in the world, since the competition between shipyards has escalated post-recession. In the past many ships were built at the STX shipyards in France and Finland, and at the Fincantieri shipyards in Trieste and Genoa, but since competition has heated up between shipyards the number of ships being built at the Papenburg yard has been getting busier, and the ships have gotten larger.

Trip September 17th, 2012 06:27 PM

I just love this class ship! I enjoyed every minute on the Eclipse,and we learned of all the new things to come, as the new ships rolled out. I only wish she was stopping in Boston, so I could tour her and drool...boy she is a beauty..thanks for the picture Paul.

cookie1207 September 19th, 2012 06:52 PM

Celebrity food is sure not special anymore.

The bean counters have once again reduced the quality and selection of dining room food on this class of Celebrity ships.

We also found the quality of service in the main dining room to be average at best.(more like a low budget cruise line).

What has happened to the excellent menu's and excellent food quality.:(

Paul Motter September 19th, 2012 07:33 PM

Cookie...

I have been wondering the same thing, Celebrity went from Michelin-starred Michel Roux to a James Beard winner and American Icon Jacques Van Staden to just recently a new executive chef who has never won an award in his life; Steve van der Merwe.

From counting beans to serving them? I am just kidding, but this is a cruise line that was once KNOWN for its food. Can you really promote a guy who started in a Cape Town pizzeria to replace someone who grew up learning to cook in the South of France?

dkjretired September 20th, 2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie1207 (Post 1447046)
The bean counters have once again reduced the quality and selection of dining room food on this class of Celebrity ships.

We also found the quality of service in the main dining room to be average at best.(more like a low budget cruise line).

What has happened to the excellent menu's and excellent food quality.:(

I was on the Summit two weeks ago and had no complaints about the service in the MDR. The food was excellent, sorry but every meal I had was excellent except for one which was only good. I have been sailing Celebrity for 20 yrs and can say that the food is not up to what it was 20 yrs. ago but is the same as it was 10yrs ago.

Even 20 yrs. ago I don't ever remember having Beef Wellington in the dining room (had it at Midnight buffets) but I had it two weeks ago on Summit. Went well with a nice sized lobster tail.

As I said, the dining room is not up to the standards of 20 yrs. ago, that you can get currently in the Specialty dining rooms such as Murano or Normandy but I'm not complaining after this cruise. My previous three cruises had been in AQ and ate in Blu so this was a pleasant surprise on this cruise.