Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Default Graturities added to ship account Eclipse ???

What is current graturities policy on Celebrity Eclipse? By that I mean, are they automatically charged to your shipboard account daily? If so, is there any problem in opting out of auto tip in order to traditional tip ..cash last night? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
What is current graturities policy on Celebrity Eclipse? By that I mean, are they automatically charged to your shipboard account daily? If so, is there any problem in opting out of auto tip in order to traditional tip ..cash last night? Thanks in advance.
Fleetwide the policy is gratuities are added on a daily basis and you can opt out if you wish and pay the old fashioned way. The only exception is if you choose Select Dining in which case gratuities for all services are required to be pre paid, that is paid prior to getting on the ship.

Here's a link to the page with the amounts charged....

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan..._during_cruise
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was told by a chatty cabin steward that Celebrity gives their staff that receives the auto tips a list of cruisers who remove tips. Also, how many cruises you have w. X. Typically, he said those removing tips do not tip at end. He says he adjusts service accordingly.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengal View Post
I was told by a chatty cabin steward that Celebrity gives their staff that receives the auto tips a list of cruisers who remove tips. Also, how many cruises you have w. X. Typically, he said those removing tips do not tip at end. He says he adjusts service accordingly.
They do get a list, the other items may be just one person, who knows.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengal View Post

Oh well, if that was to happen, I would complain to guest services and adjust tip accordingly. I like to tip traditional...cash at end of cruise. Why would a cabin steward need to know how many cruises we have had with Celebrity? We always let our cabin steward know, on first day, that we will tip cash at end. My cruise...my choice.

Old January 6th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Captain

We just finished a B2B on Jewel of the Seas on RC and paid in cash at the end. She was great so we paid her more than the "recommended" $7.25 a day.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14

Legend of the Seas; 04/16/2014; Booked
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Oh well, if that was to happen, I would complain to guest services and adjust tip accordingly. I like to tip traditional...cash at end of cruise. Why would a cabin steward need to know how many cruises we have had with Celebrity? We always let our cabin steward know, on first day, that we will tip cash at end. My cruise...my choice.
The auto tips are the default, you will have to go to customer service at the beginning of the cruise and have them removed...

Just as an FYI, if you maintain the tips on the account, they may be adjusted upward but not down. The only way you can adjust them down is by removing ALL of the tips completely.
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Thanks for that info.

Old January 6th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Admiral

I think just pay the tips, if you feel you need to give more you can, I think the staff like the system, they get what they are promised this way. AND I am a Brit!
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I think just pay the tips, if you feel you need to give more you can, I think the staff like the system, they get what they are promised this way. AND I am a Brit!
I don't think of a tip as a "promise". How can you promise something that should be based on level of service before you receive the service? I think that whatever works for each person is okay. I think we all agree that it is important to reward good service with the appropriate tip regardless if you pre-pay, pay as you go each day on ship bill or pay cash at end of cruise.

My wife is a Brit, so I know exactly what you mean .

Old January 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Celebrity make the promises, we had an expose type TV programme over here about life for the staff.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

So do you plan on finding the chefs, laundry personnel, assistants, etc to be able to tip them all what they normally would have gotten?

I think people seem to forget that the gratuities on a cruise aren't just for your stewards and your waiter in the MDR - they are for a ton of other people behind the scenes that you never meet.

What do you have against these people that you'd want to remove auto gratuities from your account?

If you want to tip on top of the auto, that's a whole other thing, but to short folks out of their portion just because you never see them working hard for you, seems wrong IMHO.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariawoman View Post
So do you plan on finding the chefs, laundry personnel, assistants, etc to be able to tip them all what they normally would have gotten?

I think people seem to forget that the gratuities on a cruise aren't just for your stewards and your waiter in the MDR - they are for a ton of other people behind the scenes that you never meet.

What do you have against these people that you'd want to remove auto gratuities from your account?

If you want to tip on top of the auto, that's a whole other thing, but to short folks out of their portion just because you never see them working hard for you, seems wrong IMHO.
Very well put & dead right. I tend to think people who like giving little envelopes to "staff" have some sort of motive, I always find it embarrassing & prefer the auto method. We do give a little more in cash but don't make an issue of it.
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Very well put & dead right. I tend to think people who like giving little envelopes to "staff" have some sort of motive, I always find it embarrassing & prefer the auto method. We do give a little more in cash but don't make an issue of it.
Most of those people listed don't get tips anyway, Celebrity for the most part does not pool tips...

I also like the auto tip option...

Don
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Up until just a few years ago...I think 4 or 5, Celebrity did not do auto tips unless YOU went to them and asked for it. Most gave the envelopes to staff on the last night. No hidden motive just the way it was done. No one seemed embarrassed . Some of us prefer that system still.

Old January 7th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariawoman View Post

Wow Don't forget the Captain, cruise director, dancers, the guy who sets up the pool chairs, etc.

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I am one who will not tip up front. I don't thank anyone in advance for a job they haven't done.

I will remove the grats on our cruise next week then decide for myself who gets what - in cash - at the end of the week.

And if the steward service deteriorates because of it - well guess what.......

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
First Mate

Do you have any idea how many people "stiff" the hard working waiters and room attendants? We have been cruising since the early 50.s prior to Carnival and have seen this too many times and it is no wonder why the cruise lines have gone to automatic attempting to recapture some of this problem. In many instances it is the major complainer who wants to remove.We have gone along with the changes and reward those who have provided us with extra service with the envelope as was done in the past. I can remember in the old days certain individuals would not come to dinner on the last night to avoid any type of tipping. Maybe the answer is to increase the fare and be done with it.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Make a reservation before Jan 27th and you can take advantage of Celebrity's
1-2-3 offer.

Choose Your Offer - Cruise Specials & Packages | Celebrity Cruises

then you won't have to worry about gratuities..