Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 1st cruise, which class stateroom?

We are going to be booking our first cruise

We live in Australia and will be booking through an American online agent as they have better offers.
Looking at the Sydney to fiji (back to Sydney cruise), October 23rd departure.
On other holidays we have not used the balcony much, apart from the occasional room service breakfast. I also get seasick on the small boats i have been on in the past.

We are unsure about booking a deck 3 ocean view or a higher deck balcony stateroom. The money is not an issue other than wasting it. There is $600 difference between the deck 3 ocean view and the category 2D balcony. A further $400 would get us a C2 concierge stateroom.

Please help me make sense of this
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by metter View Post
We are going to be booking our first cruise

We live in Australia and will be booking through an American online agent as they have better offers.
Looking at the Sydney to fiji (back to Sydney cruise), October 23rd departure.
On other holidays we have not used the balcony much, apart from the occasional room service breakfast. I also get seasick on the small boats i have been on in the past.

We are unsure about booking a deck 3 ocean view or a higher deck balcony stateroom. The money is not an issue other than wasting it. There is $600 difference between the deck 3 ocean view and the category 2D balcony. A further $400 would get us a C2 concierge stateroom.

Please help me make sense of this
This is a hard one. I doubt you will have any problem with seasickness on the size ship you'll be on. I think it's Millennium that is doing that cruise.

The best thing about a balcony is to use it. It is a great place to sit when you go into the islands or just stare at the ocean.

If you rarely use a balcony then an ocean view will probably suit you fine. It isn't much smaller, or maybe the same size, as a 2D.

The C2 stateroom will be the same size and layout as the 2D but will come with a few more perks: Like, a bottle of champagne, better robes and slippers, daily canapes and an additional cruise credit with Captain's Club (their repeat cruiser program).

I personally would book the balcony for this itinerary but I enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching the scenery or just the ocean. However, if you aren't balcony sitters than you could use the money for other things.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
This is a hard one. I doubt you will have any problem with seasickness on the size ship you'll be on. I think it's Millennium that is doing that cruise.

I personally would book the balcony for this itinerary but I enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching the scenery or just the ocean. However, if you aren't balcony sitters than you could use the money for other things.

Take care,
Mike
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I should have posted the ship details, it's the Solstice. Does that make any difference, other than I guess less likely to be seasick?
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with Mike, the balcony would be so nice, especially on your first cruise, you are bound to enjoy it, plus it may lessen any sickness you may feel...It is wonderful to get up in the morning and have that first cup of coffee on your balcony and watch the water or enter into a port...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you are a fan of spa services, you could look at booking the spa catagory, which has a balcony. We had one on the Eclipse, her sister ship..

You will love this class of ship...the great lawn and pool area were wonderful.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 9th, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Admiral

I agree with others. First, you will absolutely LOVE the Solstice - it's a wonderful ship. And you really don't need to worry too much about seasickness on that type of ship, but book something towards the middle instead of the front to be on the safe side.

And as others have stated, if you like to use a balcony, then there's nothing like it. But if you're not in your cabin all that much, then an oceanview will do just fine - not much difference in size and really no difference in the cabin itself. And once you leave the cabin, everything else is equal.

For a first cruise, you've selected something that'll be very difficult to beat! You'll definitely be spoiled.

And as for booking with an American agent, we have several Australian clients and they've all stated the same thing you said; it's usually cheaper than booking with a local agent.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the advice. In the end I booked the ocean view stateroom and decided we could use the savings for other onboard purchases.
Booked stateroom 3134.

Due to the excellent offers at the moment (the free classic beverage package) we are looking at also booking a cruise for April 2014. The Australia to Hawaii cruise on the Solstice. If we like our first cruise we have the booking and if not we can cancel. From what i have read though I think we will love it. Will make this longer trip a verandah stateroom.

Thank again and if there is any other advice i can learn from please feel free
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by metter View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. In the end I booked the ocean view stateroom and decided we could use the savings for other onboard purchases.
Booked stateroom 3134.

Due to the excellent offers at the moment (the free classic beverage package) we are looking at also booking a cruise for April 2014. The Australia to Hawaii cruise on the Solstice. If we like our first cruise we have the booking and if not we can cancel. From what i have read though I think we will love it. Will make this longer trip a verandah stateroom.

Thank again and if there is any other advice i can learn from please feel free
Congratulations on booking your cruise. You have made a wise choice since the Concierge cabins on the S class ships are nothing but hype, they are not bigger or have bigger verandas as do the CC cabins on Celebrity's M class ships. I would however keep an eye out for upgrades at a reasonable cost. I was able a few years ago to upgrade from an inside cabin to Aqua Class for $100 pp. This is a real ungrade since it entitles you to eat in Blu which is available only to AQ cabins and suites if space is available. This is like eating in a Specialty restaurant every night.

Good luck.
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Congratulations on booking your 1st cruise! Hope you have a great time.
I would like to point out that because you are prone to seasickness in small boats, does not mean you will be affected as much on a ship. The ride they provide is much different than a cabin cruiser or even a ferry.

In any event, make sure that you take a motion sickness remedy, or wrist bands just in case. May you have smooth seas!
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Balcony is the only way to go to get the most out of your cruise.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Constellation 14
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:35 AM
Familiar Face

I would like to suggest you to save choose money saving options. There is not much difference between the two cruises. Both will give you the pleasant views. If I were you I would certainly have chosen the second option. The saved money can be used for some noble cause.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will love Celebrity! DH and I sailed Celebrity Mercury to Australia/NZ in Jan. '08. It got very rough as we left Sydney Harbor on the way to Melbourne. I was glad we had an OV on the 3rd deck toward the center--my favorite spot. We rolled down there right after dinner and stayed put. I took a Bonine immediately. The next day it was OK.
Crossing the Tasman Sea was no problem--smooth as glass! Go figure!

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W.Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour 2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Partial Transit of PC+4 W. Carib ports
6/06 Jewel of the Seas Brit. Isles/Norw. Fjords
1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib.
6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib.
6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia 2/12 Summit S. Carib.
6/12 Millenium Alaska cruise/tour
2/13 Summit S. Carib. 1/14 Silhouette W. Carib.