Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Pets on cruiseships???

I don't have any pets, I have fun with my friend's pets, but I just don't want any.

I thought cruise ships were pet-free areas, but I was proven wrong last month. On the Jan 12th sailing of the Celebrity Eclipse, I saw a lady walking her dog around the AquaSpa area. Yes, you read 'D-O-G', as in a four legged canine. And it was obviously no service dog. Now what on earth is a dog doing on a cruise ship??? Neither her or the dog seemed to be strangers to the Spa reception personnel.

Celebrity has lost quite a bit of my confidence and credibility.

I don't care if she's the captain's mother or the CEO's wife, dogs do not belong on a cruise ship. Period.

Last edited by Voyager57; February 10th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Captain

From Cunard Cruise Line:

On transatlantic voyages aboard Cunard Cruise Line's (cunard.com) "Queen Mary II," both cats and dogs are allowed to travel with their owners. An on-board kennel master is in charge of pets' regular feedings, walks, indoor playtime and clean-up. Upon arrival to the ship, pets receive complimentary goodie bags that include name tags, food dishes and toys. Pets are supplied with beds, blankets, gourmet food, snacks and either individual playtime or group playtime. Owners may visit pets throughout the day in two-hour blocks of time. Cunard recommends that passengers book their passage as far in advance as possible, as Cunard Cruise Line allows only 12 pets per voyage.

Not sure if they need to buy a ticket for them or how it all works. I've seen quite a few service dogs on Celebrity but haven't heard about normal dogs. Maybe it was a service dog but was being walked by someone else? Personally I wouldn't mind as long as they keep away from the main dining rooms, or have pet free zones for those passengers who don't like animals or are allergic etc.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If it was a Celebrity cruise it would have had to have been a service dog.

There are a variety of "service dogs", and their purpose it is not always obvious.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
If it was a Celebrity cruise it would have had to have been a service dog.

There are a variety of "service dogs", and their purpose it is not always obvious.
Agree with Kuki, Service dogs are not always obvious, are seen very often on cruise ships and the cruise line is required to allow them.

I just hope I never encounter one of these on a cruise.

http://adamusings.com/2012/06/12/and...n/1923_image3/
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The image of a service dog, has changed over the years, now smaller dogs as well, serve their masters to insure a comfortable cruise, in good health.

I can bet that dog made everyone smile. well, almost everyone.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have the utmost admiration for service animals and they make their companions life much easier.

However, I do see people who try to abuse the "Service Animal" designation because they don't want to leave "Fluffy" at home or pay kennel fees.

My daughter, a Veterinarian, has been asked by a couple of clients for a "Companion Animal" designation for their dogs and one woman wanted it for her cat. My daughter refused.

To be designated a "Companion Animal" a dog must go through a very rigorous training program and must be able to interact with people and not be aggressive. Companion Animals for vision impaired and hearing impaired individuals go through a VERY long learning process.

Yes: There are companion animals for seizures, anxiety and other disorders. There are trained animals for these disorders.

The problem is that someone will take their "pet" and get a doctor to say they must have this animal and then get a Vet to "certify" it and cruise lines and other businesses must allow the animal. (Actually the animal needs to be certified by a registered companion animal training organization) This "pet" is not trained to interact with people and can be aggressive or anxious in new situations and in some cases dangerous.

The person does not really "need" the animal but "wants" the animal to be with them. I'm sorry but I see this as an abuse of the system and it really irritates me.

Here is a website that shows this "abuse" of the system.

Register My Service Animal - No Dispute ID Cards and Vests

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Admiral

My late uncle Harry was on a ship once with his service dog .I believe it was on Cunard.
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM
First Mate

I once took a cruise on a ship which had a "resident magician" who used two small poodles in his act. He was on a vacation home at the time, but had left his dogs on the ship because they would otherwise have been subject to quarantine when he debarked in Europe. The ship had a square, raised, grassy area on the bow deck to which the cruise director or one of his assistants walked the dogs 3 or 4 times a day. The dogs were very cute and passengers who saw them seemed to be amused by the idea.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default The 2 poodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
I once took a cruise on a ship which had a "resident magician" who used two small poodles in his act. He was on a vacation home at the time, but had left his dogs on the ship because they would otherwise have been subject to quarantine when he debarked in Europe. The ship had a square, raised, grassy area on the bow deck to which the cruise director or one of his assistants walked the dogs 3 or 4 times a day. The dogs were very cute and passengers who saw them seemed to be amused by the idea.
I believe I have heard of this as well.
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Admiral

We met a woman who had a "service animal" for her back. The dog was not very well behaved and we never figured out how it helped instead of aggravated her back.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Captain

According to celebritys website you are not required to provide documentation that your animal is a service animal but it is suggested. They do have some requirements such as letting them know 30days prior to sailing and have to be supervised 24/7, never allowed in stateroom unattended and on leash in public areas.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
According to celebritys website you are not required to provide documentation that your animal is a service animal but it is suggested. They do have some requirements such as letting them know 30days prior to sailing and have to be supervised 24/7, never allowed in stateroom unattended and on leash in public areas.
Since the cruise lines pretty much follow the ADA, they are not allowed under the law to ask for documentation. Hotels, restaurants, etc are also not allowed to ask...That's the law...
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:33 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Since the cruise lines pretty much follow the ADA, they are not allowed under the law to ask for documentation. Hotels, restaurants, etc are also not allowed to ask...That's the law...
Quite correct on the note about ADA stating that an establishment cannot ask why. I work at a hotel and the top quote about being supervised, on a leash, never left unattended etc etc is also quite true. The animal in question has to be well behaved as well.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Agree with Kuki, Service dogs are not always obvious, are seen very often on cruise ships and the cruise line is required to allow them.

I just hope I never encounter one of these on a cruise.

And The (Miniature) Horse You Rode In On?? Service Horse in Restaurant ? ADA Musings
True and I know from firsthand.
My friends' daughter has one because she chokes easily- she is a childhood cancer survior- but the cancer was in her throat-that is a side effect of her surgery that has worsened over the years and the dog is trained to go and warn my friend. Whenever she takes her out the dog goes with them-although since the daughter is 35 now and in bad physical shape-she does not take her out much anymore. As the daughter has aged over the years, side effects of the surgery has destroyed her health-she has to have a feeding tube (the choking is so bad) and she uses a wheelchair most of the time because she is so weak. If my friend chose to take her daughter on a cruise I would not begrudge her having her dog one bit-and yes you may would see my friend's husband walking the dog or taking the dog to "potty." He takes care of that for his daughter.

That is what I would think if a saw a person walking a dog on ship-that they have an ill family member that it is a service dog for the family member.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Admiral

That is a tough story but your point is correct, you never know when someone has a handicap. My wife has RA and she has difficulty walking so she has a handicap sticker for her car. If you know my wife, she is really tough, a retired Police Lieutenant from an inner city Police Department. She recently went to a store and she parked in the handicapped spot. A couple was nearby and the wife turned to the husband and said, see there's nothing wrong with her, loud enough for my wife to hear. Her response back to the woman was well maybe I'll take my leg off and throw it at you. The husband wanted to climb under a car and started yelling at his wife. My wife just walked away.
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I think letting a cruise line know 30 days in advance is a good idea. This way they can set up an area for the dog to do his business. I would also guess they might give you advice on any ports you will be visiting. Remember that just because the ship follows the ADA, foreign countries may have different laws. Just better to be prepared.
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Admiral

I saw a doggie area on NCL Sun-it was set up on one end of the promenade deck close to a crew area. A big wooden box with low sides (1 foot high by about 8 feet square) with straw in it

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Location: Seascape Holidays, Macrossan Street, Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia
Send a message via AIM to zacsarneki Send a message via Yahoo to zacsarneki

I am totally agree with your complement. But sometimes it difficult to maintain those pets when they become hungry. It steals our food and gives us trouble.
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:40 AM
Familiar Face

If some extra privilege is given to the celebrities then we the normal people should get that too. It is not done to allow celebrities to take their pets to the cruise.
Old September 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizalee View Post
If some extra privilege is given to the celebrities then we the normal people should get that too. It is not done to allow celebrities to take their pets to the cruise.
I see you are form India and may not be familiar with cruise line names that are popular with Americans and Europeans. They are talking about Celebrity the cruise line not a famous person.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old September 30th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I do know that there are service dogs that can tell when someone is going to have a seizure, its possible you've seen some of these kind of dogs and you have no idea the person with the dog has a medical issue that requires an animal like this.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Did this dog bother you in any way or you were just shocked to see that she/he is on the boat, I have also seen some dogs there but they were wearing vests, so I figured they must be service dogs.