Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
Familiar Face

Default First Time Celebrity Cruiser

Hi, I've cruised a dozen times, mostly on RC and have a B2B booked on Adventure (Southern Caribbean) for later this year. But I've been missing Alaska (cruised there 3 times before) and wanted to try Celebrity, so I've booked Century for May 2014. It appears that the regular balcony cabins are the same as the Concierge balcony cabins. My question is what are the differences except priority boarding. Would I get priority boarding anyway because I'm Diamond with RC? Any information you would care to share will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
First Mate

Usually the concierge cabins are the more central ones, but other than that they have the same size and layout as "regular" balcony cabins. The only real perks of concierge are fresh fruit baskets, and canapes (if you care for them) delivered every day about 4 p.m. I've heard some people say that room service is faster to the concierge cabins. They also earn you an extra point toward Celebrity's frequent-passenger program, but since you're already diamond on RCCL you'll most likely get all the perks of that, anyhow. For these limited benefits you pay an extra $2 per person per day gratuity.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
Usually the concierge cabins are the more central ones, but other than that they have the same size and layout as "regular" balcony cabins. The only real perks of concierge are fresh fruit baskets, and canapes (if you care for them) delivered every day about 4 p.m. I've heard some people say that room service is faster to the concierge cabins. They also earn you an extra point toward Celebrity's frequent-passenger program, but since you're already diamond on RCCL you'll most likely get all the perks of that, anyhow. For these limited benefits you pay an extra $2 per person per day gratuity.
Thanks for your response. The price difference between regular balconies and Concierge balconies is only $100, at least on my sailing, and if I can get the perks b/c I'm Diamond on RC and save the $100 I'm going for it
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

IMO, Concierge class is not worth the extra $$$ on Century, mainly due to the fact that the stateroom is exactly the same as a standard balcony. Having said that, if the canapés are worth it to you ( you must be in your room when they are delivered, at about 4pm to receive them), & having flowers & fresh fruit in your room appeals to you, then by all means go for it. HOWEVER, for $100, I would consider it! Priority boarding is practically meaningless, because you will find that when you arrive, there are so many lines,& is you are Elite due to your RCI level, there is no difference.
Please make sure that you advise Celebrity of your proper level on RCI, as they will not know otherwise! Call the Captain's Club desk @ Celebrity to advise them

Enjoy your cruise!
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Celebrity offers excellent service and great food.

I have booked Concierge class for our last five cruise on Celebrity. There are a few other perks associated with Concierge class such as extra fluffy towels and robes.
You should try it once. I think that you will like it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks richsea and Manuel for your help. The fruit and canapes aren't a big seller for me but I do like the more central location of the Concierge cabins. My only worry is it will be like getting your first balcony, once you do it you never go back
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Once I cruised on Celebrity with Concierge class, I have never gone back.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Admiral

It's like any other part of cruising; what one person thinks is worth the money, another will think it's not. Some people will only get an inside cabin thinking that an oceanview is not worth the extra expense. We'll very often get an inside cabin so we can save the money and do another cruise later. To us, it's better to do more cruises in an inside cabin than less cruises in a balcony. But obviously, if money is not as important, then we much prefer a junior suite, which is our most preferred cabin.

It really depends on whether you think it's worth it or not, not what others think.

But as was already stated by some, and I definitely agree with this one, once you go up, you'll be spoiled and never want to go back down!

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Admiral

I agree with Rich and find most of the Concierge perks to be either meaningless or advertising hype. The priority boarding is only a separate line for CC cabins however very often the regular lines are shorter. They advertise the Concierge who is actually stationed on the ship but is available to all classes of cabins so that is no big deal. If you are Diamond in C@A you will get Elite on Celebrity which again is a separate line. If you do book make sure whoever you book with gets you a Captain Club number and it is associated with your reservation.

You should also be aware that Century is going into drydock early next year for a three week major overhaul. Because of this cabin classifications and numbers may change. The exact changes have not been announced but the drydock is scheduled for I believe Feb. and March prior to Alaska season.

Since it is so popular I believe Celebrity will be putting Aqua Class cabins on Century during the drydock as well as Blu restaurant which replaces the MDR for Aqua passengers. Prices are usually a little above concierge but are worth it.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:44 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post
It's like any other part of cruising; what one person thinks is worth the money, another will think it's not. Some people will only get an inside cabin thinking that an oceanview is not worth the extra expense. We'll very often get an inside cabin so we can save the money and do another cruise later. To us, it's better to do more cruises in an inside cabin than less cruises in a balcony. But obviously, if money is not as important, then we much prefer a junior suite, which is our most preferred cabin.

It really depends on whether you think it's worth it or not, not what others think.

But as was already stated by some, and I definitely agree with this one, once you go up, you'll be spoiled and never want to go back down!

That has been my experience, too! My second cruise I got a balcony and never went back to an ocean view. I guess we get spoiled pretty easy Thanks for your advice.

Pete
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
I agree with Rich and find most of the Concierge perks to be either meaningless or advertising hype. The priority boarding is only a separate line for CC cabins however very often the regular lines are shorter. They advertise the Concierge who is actually stationed on the ship but is available to all classes of cabins so that is no big deal. If you are Diamond in C@A you will get Elite on Celebrity which again is a separate line. If you do book make sure whoever you book with gets you a Captain Club number and it is associated with your reservation.

You should also be aware that Century is going into drydock early next year for a three week major overhaul. Because of this cabin classifications and numbers may change. The exact changes have not been announced but the drydock is scheduled for I believe Feb. and March prior to Alaska season.

Since it is so popular I believe Celebrity will be putting Aqua Class cabins on Century during the drydock as well as Blu restaurant which replaces the MDR for Aqua passengers. Prices are usually a little above concierge but are worth it.
Thanks for the heads up re dry dock. It may be worth the $100 to go Concierge just in case they change the cabins in dry dock b/c they wouldn't down grade me, would they? I don't care about the fruit or canapes and would get priority boarding as Elite but I wouldn't want my cabin to be moved forward or aft, I really like mid-ship.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:51 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I'm really excited to start cruising on Celebrity. I've seen their ships in port, they are so pretty
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViviW View Post
Thanks for the heads up re dry dock. It may be worth the $100 to go Concierge just in case they change the cabins in dry dock b/c they wouldn't down grade me, would they? I don't care about the fruit or canapes and would get priority boarding as Elite but I wouldn't want my cabin to be moved forward or aft, I really like mid-ship.
Just a minor correction on the drydock, it will start on Feb. 4, 2014 and last for four weeks. The only comment from Celebrity so far on what is going to be done is they will be making Solstice like enhancements.

don
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Thanks for asking the question! I'm looking at booking a cruise on Silhouette in Feb and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the responses as well. Think I might spend the extra just to try it out.

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
Thanks for asking the question! I'm looking at booking a cruise on Silhouette in Feb and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the responses as well. Think I might spend the extra just to try it out.
Big difference on the S class ships. The CC cabins on M class ships can have more space and bigger balconies. On the S class ships this is not the case. CC to me is a waste of money on S class ships, if possible go for AQ cabins. Due to Blu being your dining room in AQ, that is a real upgrade. Most of the perks for CC are non-existent, superfluous or available to anyone on the ship. Really, just a lot of advertising hype.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post

Pete
Wife and I had a different experience, we are frequent cruisers who have been in all types of cabins, suites, AQ, Concierge, Balcony and insides. We sat down one day and figured out that we spend very little time in our cabin and now only book insides. I will look for decent upgrades which I have received on occasion but they have to be really good. Very happy with our decision. We can afford any cabin on the ship including the tops suites so cost is not a factor.

Don
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Wife and I had a different experience, we are frequent cruisers who have been in all types of cabins, suites, AQ, Concierge, Balcony and insides. We sat down one day and figured out that we spend very little time in our cabin and now only book insides. I will look for decent upgrades which I have received on occasion but they have to be really good. Very happy with our decision. We can afford any cabin on the ship including the tops suites so cost is not a factor.

Don
I get asked all the time by first-time cruisers what type of cabin I think they should get and I always say the same thing; it depends on how much time you plan to spend in your cabin. Some people are more active and spend very little time in the cabin, so it might be a waste to get a balcony cabin. Others are more sedate and spend a great deal of time in their cabin. To them I say perhaps you would benefit by getting a balcony. All depends on what you like and how much you've got to spend.

But like you, I'd much prefer to save the money and get an inside cabin so I can do more cruises. Then again, if money is not a problem, then give me my junior suite!

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old June 3rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
First Mate

I will always get a balcony if I can. If I can't then I may not go.
I love waking up and watching the sun come up as we get our first glimpse of a new port. We usually get room service on port days so we sit out and enjoy our breakfast with breathtaking scenery! We also enjoy a cocktail and a snack when we get back to our cabin. Many times enjoying the sunset. I also love getting up in the middle of the night and walking out and just looking out at the sea.

On our way back to porrt on Oasis we followed Sandy. I will never forget the sights of that angry ocean !!! Mother nature at her best and worst!

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:27 AM
Familiar Face

Once I cruised on Celebrity with Concierge class and i cannot forget that moment ever in my life
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
I will always get a balcony if I can. If I can't then I may not go.
I won't cruise without a balcony.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViviW View Post
Hi, I've cruised a dozen times, mostly on RC and have a B2B booked on Adventure (Southern Caribbean) for later this year. But I've been missing Alaska (cruised there 3 times before) and wanted to try Celebrity, so I've booked Century for May 2014. It appears that the regular balcony cabins are the same as the Concierge balcony cabins. My question is what are the differences except priority boarding. Would I get priority boarding anyway because I'm Diamond with RC? Any information you would care to share will be appreciated.
I am also a first Celebrity cruiser.

AND, I am travelling alone as my friend back-off att he last moment

WHO is also taking the August 4, 2013 Bermuda Celebrity Summit?

Please email: rosaligia.alvarez@gmail.com

Thanks.

Peace,

Rosaligia Álvarez
Puerto Rico