CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Crucon (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/398599-crucon.html)

Mike L August 28th, 2013 11:35 AM

Crucon

Anybody have any experience dealing with CruCon Cruise Outlet Plus, Inc:?:

storybookcruises.com August 28th, 2013 02:31 PM

I've gotten lots of complaints about them. Be careful to read the fine print! They charge $100 cancellation fee even when the cruise line does not charge one.

Like other online sites whose advertisements are misleading, they advertise "every cruise on sale every day" when they sell the same cruises at the same price as everyone else.

Nothing special - just dealing in quantity.

Best to look for a reputable agent you feel comfortable with and have trust in.

Pete

richsea August 28th, 2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1483386)
I've gotten lots of complaints about them. Be careful to read the fine print! They charge $100 cancellation fee even when the cruise line does not charge one.

Like other online sites whose advertisements are misleading, they advertise "every cruise on sale every day" when they sell the same cruises at the same price as everyone else.

Nothing special - just dealing in quantity.

Best to look for a reputable agent you feel comfortable with and have trust in.

Pete

I realize that you are a moderator, but aren't you also a travel agent? Not sure if your advise would necessarily be in the poster best interests. Isn't this conflict of interest?

felix_the_cat August 28th, 2013 06:52 PM

I am also a travel agent. I can tell you Crucon has only 5/6 employees. They do run the odd special as they buy a small group of cabins and use them as loss leaders (just as grocery stores do) then try to sell you something else.

They have a cancellation fee and you have very few options.

I know this as I know someone who has booked with them.

storybookcruises.com August 28th, 2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richsea (Post 1483395)
I realize that you are a moderator, but aren't you also a travel agent? Not sure if your advise would necessarily be in the poster best interests. Isn't this conflict of interest?

Yes, I am an agent, but it's not a conflict of interest to advise people to search for a reputable agent they can work with who will look after their best interest. And it's especially good advise not to work with an online agency that charges cancellation fees. A good agent won't charge any fees.

It's like looking for someone in any other profession; find out their background, find out about their personal cruising experience, and ask alot of questions. There are alot of unscrupulous people in every profession, so it's definitely not a conflict of interest to advise people to do their homework and find someone they feel comfortable with and want to build a good working relationship with.

As for Crucon, I have personally talked to several people who have had complaints with them, especially about their service, fees, and misleading advertising.

Pete

dkjretired August 29th, 2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richsea (Post 1483395)

Actually, isn't this entire thread against the rules.....

Don

Mike L August 29th, 2013 10:23 AM

CruCon

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjretired (Post 1483455)
Actually, isn't this entire thread against the rules.....

Don

Are you saying my post is against the rules or are the responses:confused:

storybookcruises.com August 29th, 2013 02:11 PM

Don't worry about it, Mike. There's nothing in any of these post that are against any of the rules.

Pete

Paul Motter August 29th, 2013 02:38 PM

We welcome all opinions here, and we welcome the advice of travel agents.

Personally, I would think another travel agent is the perfect person to ask about CruCon - who would know them better? However, I am not an agent.

I do not know them that well - but I believe they specialize in cheap prices for people who want to handle most of the cruise details themselves.

If you already know what ship, cabin, sail date and [other things] you want then CruCon can probably get you a good deal. But if something goes wrong, if you need to change something, if you have an emergency [etc] then I think you would do better with a "full service" agent that works by selling quality cruises over quantity cruises.

CruCon is the "favored" travel agent at Cruise Critic (at least they were in the past, I haven't checked lately) and most of the people there know exactly what they want in a cruise, and probably make their own air arrangements and hotel reservations. I doubt if they even want any advice from an agent.

But if you are looking for an agent who will do it all for you, or at the very least double check everything you do (I can't tell you how many little mistakes I typically make when planning any travel myself, it is almost embarrassing) and who will be there for you if you have a problem, then go with a different agent.

I can almost guarantee (I can't say I give absolute guarantees on anything) you the price of the cruise will be the same very close either way.

zydecocruiser August 29th, 2013 09:35 PM

Isn't Crucon in bed with [edited for TOS]?

If the same one, I would never consider their group cruises simply because of the cancellation penalty and who knows what else.

dkjretired August 30th, 2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1483483)
Don't worry about it, Mike. There's nothing in any of these post that are against any of the rules.

Pete

Perhaps as a moderator you should read the rules if they can be found, they appear to be hidden very well.

Post or transmit any content that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, threatening, harassing, defamatory or which discloses private or personal matters concerning any person, company or legal entity. This includes CruiseMates and its Staff.

Words Defamatory against a company applies....Also, even discussing the words cruise critic in the past have been grounds for posts being removed.

Don

Paul Motter August 30th, 2013 10:37 AM

DKJ...

I respect you as a poster, and I am very glad you continue to use CruiseMates. I guess you could say the rules have been lightened up a little, or you could say the way we apply them has lightened up.

I don't like to turn any thread into a discussion of the rules - but we do allow people to ask about various agencies and I think most of us gave fair assessments of what we think is the business model of the agency.

We also don't have rules against mentioning Cruise Critic (we have rules against people telling people here to go there) - that is difference.

the "attacks" and defamatory language that are not allowed refer to people doing it to one another here in the boards, but you have the right to express any opinion about a cruise-related business.

I actually don't even find what people said here about the agency to be that negative - they described what they believe the business model to be (based on their experience) and if that is what a person wants (and many people do) then I see no problems with going that route.

I cannot personally verify for the accuracy of what people say here, but that isn't my job. If someone wants to express a different opinion about the company they are welcome to do that - its open discussion here - we don't censor people's opinions here as long as it isn't slander (and look up the definition of slander - deliberately lying in order to cause harm to a party - and I have no reason to believe that is the case here). That's all I will say about rules here - this is a cruise discussion board.

zydecocruiser August 30th, 2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1483516)
Isn't Crucon in bed with [edited for TOS]?

If the same one, I would never consider their group cruises simply because of the cancellation penalty and who knows what else.

actually somewhat irrelevant since it seems they have discontinued future group cruises.

Paul Motter August 30th, 2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1483561)
actually somewhat irrelevant since it seems they have discontinued future group cruises.

I admit I do not keep track of CC does on a regular basis - but this happens to have been a VERY big deal when they started this program that affected us because we didn't think it was a good idea (for us - we don;t care what they do)

But I am just curious - when did they change this policy? Is it already in effect?

Does anyone know what happened?

storybookcruises.com August 30th, 2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1483556)
DKJ...

I respect you as a poster, and I am very glad you continue to use CruiseMates. I guess you could say the rules have been lightened up a little, or you could say the way we apply them has lightened up.

I don't like to turn any thread into a discussion of the rules - but we do allow people to ask about various agencies and I think most of us gave fair assessments of what we think is the business model of the agency.

We also don't have rules against mentioning Cruise Critic (we have rules against people telling people here to go there) - that is difference.

the "attacks" and defamatory language that are not allowed refer to people doing it to one another here in the boards, but you have the right to express any opinion about a cruise-related business.

I actually don't even find what people said here about the agency to be that negative - they described what they believe the business model to be (based on their experience) and if that is what a person wants (and many people do) then I see no problems with going that route.

I cannot personally verify for the accuracy of what people say here, but that isn't my job. If someone wants to express a different opinion about the company they are welcome to do that - its open discussion here - we don't censor people's opinions here as long as it isn't slander (and look up the definition of slander - deliberately lying in order to cause harm to a party - and I have no reason to believe that is the case here). That's all I will say about rules here - this is a cruise discussion board.

Very well stated, Paul!

As you said, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it. And as far as this post goes, I agree completely; no rules have been broken or even bent. People are simply passing along their personal experiences dealing with a question that was asked.

As for Cruise Critic removing posters, they are notorious for that! All it takes is one comment disagreeing with a long-time poster and it will get you banned even if their comments were completely wrong and your comments are 100% accurate. I know that from first hand experience. Had someone post something that was definitely not correct and all I did was post a comment that here is the cruise line's policy on the matter and then pasted a copy directly from the cruise line's website stating their policy. Made no comment the poster was wrong, simply posted three words; "here's their policy". But because it made the long-time poster look bad, I got banned. Go figure. I've actually been banned 3 times and each time was for providing factual accurate details so the person asking a question had the correct information. Found out a long time ago they really aren't interested in the facts. But there are sure alot of attitudes over there! Not to mention alot of inaccurate information.

I'm thankful that Cruise Mates doesn't sequester the exchange of information and encourages differing viewpoints without the threatening expulsion.

Pete

zydecocruiser August 30th, 2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1483563)
I admit I do not keep track of CC does on a regular basis - but this happens to have been a VERY big deal when they started this program that affected us because we didn't think it was a good idea (for us - we don;t care what they do)

But I am just curious - when did they change this policy? Is it already in effect?

Does anyone know what happened?

No clue. They still have some scheduled but I saw a post that mentioned someone had tried to organize a group cruise but was told they aren't accepting any new ones.

Don't know it if is permanent or something temporary.

As for travel agents over there, some are notorious for reporting any perceived competition for any perceived infraction. Rules are sometimes created on the fly, it seems.

dkjretired August 30th, 2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1483556)
DKJ...

I accept your statements, no problem. The only difficulty I had with this one is that is was crucon which is associated with a competitor and it might look a little self serving.

dkjretired August 30th, 2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1483570)
No clue. They still have some scheduled but I saw a post that mentioned someone had tried to organize a group cruise but was told they aren't accepting any new ones.

Don't know it if is permanent or something temporary.

As for travel agents over there, some are notorious for reporting any perceived competition for any perceived infraction. Rules are sometimes created on the fly, it seems.

They were trying to start a group cruise of the regulars on the board but it never worked out, don't believe it was anything official just a thread.

They specifically have prohibitions in the rules against Travel Agents which are very strict and their threads are usually pulled pretty quick.

Don

Paul Motter August 30th, 2013 05:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying DKJ...

We decided travel agents are some of the best sources of information on the internet, and naturally we already know many of the posters here are travel agents whether they divulge it or not - and we don;t really care - as long as no one is soliciting business.

Frankly - it is pretty hard for an agent to solicit business here without us seeing it (Pete knows, he is a regular here and he has told me it hasn't changed with business any)

So we are just happy to have him - and Felix.

But if you think anything we said about CruCon or anything else is not accurate, feel free to speak up. They can come here themselves if they want to...

zydecocruiser August 30th, 2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjretired (Post 1483577)
They were trying to start a group cruise of the regulars on the board but it never worked out, don't believe it was anything official just a thread.

They specifically have prohibitions in the rules against Travel Agents which are very strict and their threads are usually pulled pretty quick.

Don

I have noticed there are no longer 500 official group cruise threads that are continually being bumped to page 1. Only see 5 member cruises listed, all on Carnival, none after Feb, 2014.

felix_the_cat August 30th, 2013 09:21 PM

I have been banned from cruise critic a number of times. Now I very seldom post unless the remark is so blatantly wrong it could cost cruisers their cruise or a lot of money.

I like to help people - answer questions and I'll offer advise to those who are booked direct or with someone else.

I would never purposely say something derogatory about another company or TA however, I would point out if they are giving misinformation which is not usually being done intentionally.

If I'm wrong, I know I'll be corrected - gently by the "bosses" on here rofl

dkjretired August 31st, 2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1483580)
Thanks for clarifying DKJ...

We decided travel agents are some of the best sources of information on the internet, and naturally we already know many of the posters here are travel agents whether they divulge it or not - and we don;t really care - as long as no one is soliciting business.

Frankly - it is pretty hard for an agent to solicit business here without us seeing it (Pete knows, he is a regular here and he has told me it hasn't changed with business any)

So we are just happy to have him - and Felix.

But if you think anything we said about CruCon or anything else is not accurate, feel free to speak up. They can come here themselves if they want to...

Paul:

I don't have anything either way to say about Crucon either way, I just don't want to see the board become an advertising agency......

Don

storybookcruises.com August 31st, 2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjretired (Post 1483601)
Paul:

I don't have anything either way to say about Crucon either way, I just don't want to see the board become an advertising agency......

Don

Didn't see anyone advertising on here.

Pete

Cruznut2 August 31st, 2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1483401)
I am also a travel agent. I can tell you Crucon has only 5/6 employees. They do run the odd special as they buy a small group of cabins and use them as loss leaders (just as grocery stores do) then try to sell you something else.

They have a cancellation fee and you have very few options.

I know this as I know someone who has booked with them.

Crucon's main office is in Boston on Bennington St. I do not know how many are employed at that office as I have never been there.
Around 2002 They opened a call center in Moultonborough NH. I went and applied for a job there. They had quite a few employees at that time. They also told me that they would be moving to larger quarters as they were planning to expand their operation there.

Laura

dkjretired September 1st, 2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1483648)
Didn't see anyone advertising on here.

Pete

Exactly my point and it should be kept that way....

felix_the_cat September 1st, 2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruznut2 (Post 1483659)
Crucon's main office is in Boston on Bennington St. I do not know how many are employed at that office as I have never been there.
Around 2002 They opened a call center in Moultonborough NH. I went and applied for a job there. They had quite a few employees at that time. They also told me that they would be moving to larger quarters as they were planning to expand their operation there.

Laura

I don't know the company, only what I've been told but I've also been told they are not open on weekends. Whatever - it doesn't matter to me. Someone asked for info and I passed on second hand info that I had been given, but I did say from the beginning it was second hand.

2002 was before the economy tanked. A lot of companies including Travel Agencies went under. Just surviving was an effort.

Sulross September 1st, 2013 10:34 AM

Crucon

All I can say is I have used Crucon about 10 to 15 times and have always had great experience. Had to cancel because of health once and paid only $50.00 fee and no cruise line fee. Since my insurance I purchased did not go into effect I carried it over to my next cruise with no additional insurance charge. I don't care who my travel agent is I always do my own searching and know what ship I want, what cabin type I want and date leaving. I then turn it over to travel agent who gets me a good price and some amenities and someone to talk to if a problem.