Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Familiar Face

Default Silhouette in June- Italy/Croatia-- best excursions?

Hi,
DH and I are sailing in June on the Italy/Croatia route, and are looking for suggestions of the best excursions?

We looked at all the ship-offered ones, and they are good. We've had good experience in the past (our 1 other cruise) booking an independent tour, and were hoping that might be possible on this cruise as well.

If you have any experience or can recommend any specific tours (Catania, naples, venice, rome, Dubrovnik, split, maletta, kotor) we're all ears!

Thanks
S.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Catania, naples, venice, rome, Dubrovnik, split, maletta, kotor
At least you listed them, I appreciate that. Most of the people who ask this or a similar question just say "sailing ___ in Europe in June - what tours should I take?"

Anyway...

In Naples, I highly recommend going to Pompeii - site of the ash-covered ancient Roman city that was preserved nearly intact when Mt Vesuvius erupted.

In venice, I would get a walking map and just wander the city - walk from the ship to the train station and just start following the locals and the signs to St Mark's Square. There is a specific route that goes over the main canal on a famous bridge. Just keep following the signs that say something Pia. San Marcos (Piazza San Marcos, or St marks Square).

In Rome I recommend a bus tour that takes you to the Coliseum and the Forum. Skip the Spanish Steps, Go to the Pantheon, also. If you have time go to the Vatican and see inside the Cathedral. You probably won't see the best sites at the Vatican because it takes all day. Frankly, I would fly to Rome a few days early and stay in a hotel and then make your way to Venice by train. You could probably do this for about the same price as an excursion from Civitavecchia to Rome from the ship, and you will see a lot more (I don't know that for a fact, I am just being dramatic).

Dubrovnik - just go on your own, no tour needed unless you really want to know the history. Otherwise just go and soak up the atmosphere.

Maletta - grab a taxi and take it to the main church close to the Majorca pearl museum. From there just spend the day shopping.

Just one caveat - make sure you start heading back to the ship early or you will never get a taxi. I spent nearly two hours one night trying to get a taxi from there (it is a 2-mile walk) - I could have missed the ship. I honestly do not know why it was so hard, I think all the taxis were at the ship taking people out to dinner.

Those are the ones I know....
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Looks like me and my family are on the same cruise, I have so many questions also! It looks like Rome is going to be the tricky port for seeing everything and getting back to the boat on time. Looks like it will be an amazing cruise thou!! Have fun!
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

How long is the ship docked in Civitavecchia?

As I said, if you have never seen Rome before, and do not know if you will go back, I would go over three days early and stay in a Rome hotel. Then catch the train to the cruise (I think it starts in Venice, right? - the OP does not say where it starts).

You can get a hotel for about $150/NIGHT (don't go with the cruise line package, they will charge $500 night).