Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Ceddie

Default roughest & smoothest cruises

I know this is a touchy subject to some people but the oceans can be mean sometimes.
My roughest days at sea were a transatlantic crossing on the Q.E.II. Westbound with 85 foot seas. There were not many people around the ship. On the other hand the same ocean in october was the scene for the smoothest crossing on a brand new ship the Cunard Countess on her Maiden voyage where the north atlantic was as still as a millpond and we arrived 2 days early in Antigua.
What are your best and worst??
Ceddie
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2001, 01:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: roughest & smoothest cruises

I remember being on the Veracruz in the Caribbean (but not when, 79 or 80?) There were about 5 of us in our 20's who danced till the band got sick, a much hardier bunch than 95% of the passengers. We went out on deck and watched waves which seemed higher than the ship! The next day, the first officer said it was the worst seas he'd seen since a typhoon in the Philippines.
Old February 8th, 2001, 10:16 AM
First Mate

My roughest was in 1968, I was not quite 11 years old. We were crusing to Hawaii from San Francisco in February on the Lurline (Matson Lines).

The first two days were very rough and I still have memories of watching a movie with the other kids on the ship (about 20 of us) and the ship was tossing and rolling all over the place. We were in some kind of lounge and the bar ware was falling and crashing behind us.

In those days guest were allowed on board the ship prior to leaving port so they schedule the safety drill for the first day at sea. There we all were lined up in tossing seas with out life hjackets on and with the crew hollering over the wind and waves.

This was my Mother's first cruise and she was sick for most of it, but my folks still won a bottle of Champaign in a dance contest.

For those old Celebrity cruisers you will remember this ship as the Britanis, now sunk off the coast of southern Africa.
Old February 15th, 2001, 02:08 PM
First Mate

back to front!!