Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Ask Me Questions about Life

I'm sure everyone who reads CruiseMates knows by now that I am a wealth of information (most of it useless).
I'm a ture Sage, and I invite everyone to make use of my wisdom by asking any questions about life that have been nagging for an answer. Just remember, I have one motto that permeates my life... If I don't know the answer, I make stuff up.
Hopefully we can have some fun with this thread.. and I certainly invite everyone to jump in with answers to questions, when mine are really bad <VBG>
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Mary Lou

Default Re: Ask Me Questions about Life

Something that has bothered me for years.......what is the best way to get the catsup out of the bottle?
Old February 8th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Mary Lou wrote:
>
> Something that has bothered me for years.......what is the
> best way to get the catsup out of the bottle?

MaryLou.. thanks for starting out with a simple problem. U just have to make certain u take the top off the bottle BEFORE pouring! And if that's too difficult, do as I do... buy the plastic squeeze type.

Seriously though.. there is a sure fire easy method for getting the catsup flowing out of a new bottle. As I stated before, u take the cap off <G>, and then invert the bottle and tap the bottom side of the bottle gently against your index finger. The catsup will be flowing freely in no time.
Tap it too hard and the red is flowing from your finger, not the bottle.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
& all round Sage
Old February 8th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Hyway

How hungry did the first person to ever eat Mountain Oysters have to be before he began snipping?
Old February 9th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Mary Lou

Thanks so much for the advice.....that cap thing is great advice!!! Thanks Kuki....you really are the best!!! VBG.
Old February 9th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Hyway wrote:
>
> How hungry did the first person to ever eat Mountain Oysters
> have to be before he began snipping?

Actually I believe it was the Native Indian who first showed the settlers this delicacy. The story goes, that the settlers tasted the Natives before resorting to the Oysters<G>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
and all round Sage
Old February 9th, 2001, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Default Whats wrong with me???

Kuki,
I live in Lincoln Nebraska...look at photo I took today we are getting lots of snow.
Do I have a problem?? Why do I live here?? I could live in a warm state like Florida?
Help!!!! Boy a cruise sounds really good now.

Michael

Old February 9th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Hyway

Default Re: Whats wrong with me???

Michael, do you live on a hill? I think your house is slipping. It appears to be tilting.
Old February 9th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Mary Lou

Default Hotel Problem

Okay Kuki:
Here is another pesky problem.....
Hotel Problem
Three men went to a hotel and were told that there was only one room left and that it would cost $30 for the night. They paid $10 apiece and went to the room. The desk clerk, discovering that by mistake he had overcharged them by $5.00, asked the bellboy to return the $5.00. The bellboy, not being as honest as the desk clerk, reasoned that since $5.00 is not easy to divide three ways, he would keep $2.00 and return $1.00 to each of the three men. Each man then actually paid only $9.00 apiece or a total of $27.00 for the room. Add to this the $2.00 the bellboy kept and the total is $29.00. Where did the missing dollar go?

I lay awake nights trying to figure this out.....please help!!!(VBG)
Mary Lou
Old February 9th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Captain

Default Re: Hotel Problem

Mary Lou I am sure Uncle Sam knows where the dollar is.
Old February 9th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: whats wrong with me???

Hi Michael,
I certainly don't envy you with all that snow. Today we have rain, which is melting all our snow finally, the snow we got in Dec, ugh. Think spring, its around the corner, somewhere :-)

Donnassei
Old February 9th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Hyway wrote:
>
> Michael, do you live on a hill? I think your house is
> slipping. It appears to be tilting.

ROFLMAO
Old February 9th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Michael Sinn wrote:
>
> Do I have a problem?? Why do I live here?? >
> Michael

Michael... thanks for another easy question! The answer : Because you're STUPID!

But Canadians, such as myself, understand this sort of stupidity. We live here because leaving in the winter months feels so good!! And in the summer months there's no need to purchase airline tickets to leave. We just jump on the mosquitoes, cause they're big enough.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
and all round Sage
Old February 9th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Hyway

Mary Lou .. the new total is $25, not $30.

10 + 10 + 10 = 30

30 - 5 = 25

(10-1) + (10-1) + (10-1) - 2 = 25

I wish that I could say you can sleep soundly tonight, but I don't know where you are in relationship to Michael's house and it's sliding downhill. Hope you aren't in his path.
Old February 9th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hotel Problem

Mary Lou wrote:
>
> Okay Kuki:
> Here is another pesky problem.....
> Hotel Problem
> Three men went to a hotel and were told that there was only
> one room left and that it would cost $30 for the night. They
> paid $10 apiece and went to the room. The desk clerk,
> discovering that by mistake he had overcharged them by $5.00,> Mary Lou

MaryLou,
I don't know if u realized, or not, but I am in the hotel business, so this is another question that's right up my alley (or in the parking lot anyway).
As a matter of fact, at $25/night it sounds suspiciously like my hotel <G>

Assuming it was indeed my hotel these men checked into, there would be no problem to consider, as our less than honest desks clerk would simply pocket the $5 error and the bellman would keep the extra Dollar !

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
and all round Sage
Old February 9th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Achin' Leg Annie

Default Re: i Broke my leg!

Hello, I have this "problem". I live in a large two story house and every morning when I am ready to leave for school, I jump out my window! I always seem to brake something, my leg, arm, etc. Surely there is a better way to get to school than in the ambulance. Can you help me?
Old February 9th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Annie,
Reminds me of a story... one night on a land trip I was staying on the second floor of a hotel. I'd had a few too many drinks, and I was hanging out the window, trying to "get some fresh air" and I fell out. I landed on the sidewalk, not 5 ft. from a policeman. As I lay there, he said, "What's happened here?". I replied, " I don't know, I just got here myself."

Now to your dilema... my best suggestion would be hanging a rope from your window. If u have a younger sibling, just tie him/her to the bottom of the rope to serve as an anchor. Then sliding down the rope should be no problem.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
and all round Sage
Old February 9th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Hyway

I have found that little siblings have a tendency to wiggle and flail about, thereby making the descent much more diffcult than if you had used no anchor at all. a much better anchor are grandparents. They are heavier, much less mobile and they don't have the stamina of youth. Stability of the rope is reached much quicker so Annie can avoid the school tardies she will receive waiting for a sibling to tire.
Old February 10th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Admiral

Default WHY WHY WHY??

1. When we can put a man on the moon, why can't the cruise lines give us table assignments when we board? There are only so many people, so many tables and chairs. Why, why, why, Kuki?

2. My aunt, a retired teacher, sailed annually on HAL's Rotterdam (last one) during the 1970's. Thirty years later, little has changed in terms of on-board entertainment, activities. The same "Salute to Broadway" show, napkin folding, vegetable carving, bingo. They'll still be doing the "50's Sock Hop" when no one is alive who remembers the 1950! Why, why, why can't they come up with something new?

3. Why aren't men more like women? I know we're both from diffferent planets, but shouldn't men try to emulate women more often? You know, senitivity, no wars, cry for no reason, high heels, hair coloring, etc.

4. Why does my dog, Mr. Ying, only respect Paul? Anytime I beg him to do something he just stares at me. Why, Why, Why?
Old February 10th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: WHY WHY WHY??

1. When we can put a man on the moon, why can't the cruise lines give us
table assignments when we board? There are only so many people, so many
tables and chairs. Why, why, why, Kuki?

Anne, because I'm a Sage I understood U meant to ask why they can't give us table assignments BEFORE we board. The answer.... it would be much to easy to have a computer assign a table right at the time of booking. Doing so could actually create havoc with the world ecnonomy, by eliminating the jobs of those responsible for shuffling and reshuffling the "passenger seating card" deck. Hundreds of third world employees would be sent back to their native countries, with no other talent than being able to say in English.. Sorry, that isn't possible.

2. My aunt, a retired teacher, sailed annually on HAL's Rotterdam (last
one) during the 1970's. Thirty years later, little has changed in terms of
on-board entertainment, activities. The same "Salute to Broadway" show,
napkin folding, vegetable carving, bingo. They'll still be doing the "50's
Sock Hop" when no one is alive who remembers the 1950! Why, why, why can't
they come up with something new?

The answer to this question actually relates to the last. It has taken all those 30 years to advance employees within the corportate structure, and retrain those " Sorry, that's not possible" people to enable them to teach napkin folding. The cruise lines understand how devastating it would be to change things and waste that valuable education.

3. Why aren't men more like women? I know we're both from diffferent
planets, but shouldn't men try to emulate women more often? You know,
senitivity, no wars, cry for no reason, high heels, hair coloring, etc.

Ah.. an interesting topic for the sage. The lines of distinction between men and women are certainly diminishing. No where is this more evident than in your fair city of New York. Walking through Time Square and up Broadway it's near impossible to tell which is which.

4. Why does my dog, Mr. Ying, only respect Paul? Anytime I beg him to do
something he just stares at me. Why, Why, Why?

This is a univeral truth! In the home of the Sage, it goes even further, to include not only the family pet, but the children as well.

And the odd thing is my dog and children have never even met Paul.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
and all round Sage
Old February 10th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Carole Dunham

GREAT thread. I'd ask a question but I have learned all my brain is going to absorb in this lifetime. Think I'll just cruise, continually learning how to fold napkins, then forgetting and having to learn again.

Carole (who actually uses the paper variety at home)
Old February 12th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Passenger

Hi Kuki,

I'm not sure where I read this . Is it true that you will be upgraded if you are a platinum member of RCCL? I read this last night on the boards and can't find it now.
I will be sailing on RCCL Radiance of the Seas 4/7/01 and am on a E-3 cat. Any chance of a D. If yes how can I go about it?

Peggy
Old February 12th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Peggy wrote:
>
> Hi Kuki,
>
. Is it true that you will be
> upgraded if you are a platinum member of RCCL? I read this
> last night on the boards and can't find it now.
> I will be sailing on RCCL Radiance of the Seas 4/7/01 and am
> on a E-3 cat. Any chance of a D. If yes how can I go about it?
>
Wow.. an actual serious question in this thread... what am I going to do? <G>
Peggy,
I don't know of any "rule" that would get U an automatic upgrade because of your status with RCI.
However, it seems to be a good basis for an upgrade if space is available. I'd get your TA to put in a request for the upgrade, and be certain to let them know of your past passenger status.
Failing that, board the ship early, when all the cabin doors are unlocked, and choose the cabin U want, and move in!
Well, most of the answer was serious..
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 12th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Teach

Peggy past passanger status like,"Dimond club membership" along with your sail away card dully signed will get you a drink of the day tip added. Most upgrades awarded by the company out of the goodness of their hearts are to cabins eathe
ier over or under a disco. Where as full a price payer tends to sue. it;s better to give them to passangers who believe their getting something for nothing and make everyone happy. Except the lawyers of course
Old February 12th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why didn't I see any whales in Cabo San Lucas? I looked.

Old February 12th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Admiral

seagoingJLW wrote:
>
> Why didn't I see any whales in Cabo San Lucas? I looked.

Nice pic! I wonder how many times a varation of that picture has been taken. Has to be astronomical!

In answer to your question. I was standing on the port side, stern of the Seabourn Legend. U must not have looked there.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 12th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Hyway

seagoingJLW

How could you miss that whale breaching at the bottm right of the picture. You must have been getting a drink from one of the deck waiters.

Hyway

Old February 12th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Ceddie

Allo Allo I ave found Ze whale
Old February 12th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Tim Rubacky

Default Platinum Uogrades

Peggy,

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do not participate in Ameerican Express's Cruise Priviliges Program for Platinum and Centurion Card Members.

Participating lines are:

Crystal, Cunard, Dinsey, HAL, NCL, Orient, Princess, Radisson Seven Seas, Renaissance, Seabourn, SIlversea and Windstar.

Depending on the line and type of accomodations booked, you will recieve an upgrade or a shipboard credit. Your travel agent must book this a certain way; requesting the program from the cruise line and obtaining approval/tracking codes. Certain restrictions do apply. So make sure your agent is familiar with the program.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old February 12th, 2001, 08:33 PM
First Mate

Default Upgrade Ideas

Peggy,
For a $100 more per person you can have a Cat D. Maybe your agent will split the cost to upgrade if you ask.

Michael