Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Teach

Default whales

I promised before I left on the 28th that I would report on the whales off Cobo San Lucas. I saw about 4 spouts off in the distance just after we turned the point and headed north I only saw one fluke come out of the water. There was no other activity and we I saw nothing else of interest, And the wind on deck was cold and brisk which caused me to give it up and watch from the Tiffany Bar for a while longer with no luck. Teach
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: whales

Teach,
We were on the Mex Riv a week before Jan. 20-28. We spotted one large Whale by Cabo, and not too far from the ship, so a pretty good view.
Our highlight was seeing 30 or so Dolphins cavorting about 50 yds off the port side.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 10th, 2001, 11:44 AM
binkey36

On our return from Ensenada, the beginning of January, I saw several whales breaching from our stateroom window...just about sunset. I didn't want to run up on deck (afraid I would miss them)..so we just stood at the window with our binoculars...watching the short show. It was great!
Old February 10th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Carole Dunham

My favorite place in the world for whale watching is Stellenbach Bank, about 45 minutes out of Boston Harbor. It is a protected area where something called sand eels are abundant. Sand eels are not edible for humans but whales love them. I've seen whales there twice. Once at the tail end of a Clipper cruise. We had a whale expert onboard so learned a lot about these fascinating creatures. We were lucky enough to see them breaching, lobbing, rolling over on their sides and waving a fin and bubble feeding. We also saw 3 separate species. A riddle. Whales are mammals and need to sleep and they must sleep on the surface or they'll drown. However, they are negative buoyant and have a tendency to sink. So, how do they sleep and not drown??? Only one side of their brains sleep at one time. BTW, we saw about 50 whales at that point. They were so close to Nantucket Clipper we could almost have reached out and touched them. We saw about half that amount when we took a 4 hour boat trip operated by the New England Aquarium. We were so close to them on that trip that when they breached we got wet! I'd highly advise whale lovers to take a trip to Boston, not only for the whales but because it is a fabulous city with the world's best New England Clam chowder. I salivate thinking about it.

Carole
Old February 11th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Tim Agg

Several years ago we planned a few pre-cruise days in Boston [prior to heading to Bermuda] in part to take a whale-watch trip. Unfortunately, heavy weather resulted in all trips being cancelled, so that experience is being saved for another time.

Cruisers with an interest in whales should also think about the San Juan / Gulf Islands and BC inside passage waters for orcas, and Alaska and Hawaii for humpbacks. In Alaska, Frederick Sound, south of Juneau, and Icy Strait, outside Glacier Bay are reliable areas to watch whales from the deck of your ship - we've counted as many as 50 in a morning. Juneau also offers excellent whale watch excursions. In the winter, a Hawaii cruise will also find them, especially near Maui. Any creature smart enough to summer in Alaska and winter in Hawaii is truly inspiring!