Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2001, 09:27 PM
First Mate

Default Around The World Cruise

OH MY GOD!! Is that the ultimate in cruising? Do people actually do the entire 70+ days journey? Have any of you fellow chatters been on such a trip? Would you get tired of being on the ship for that long? Here is somthing to think about, what kind of tips do you need for that? Need to plan now for the future.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Ceddie

Default Re: Around The World Cruise

Pat I once worked on a World Cruise on th Q.E.II. and it was NOT my favorite cruise by any means, The age group that can afford either (a) the time or (b) the money to do such a cruise is 70+ thus as a young man I found the ship to be boring and quiet. I did however enjoy some of the ports we hit along the way. and may in a few years want that type of cruise myself but not at the moment.

Ceddie
Old February 17th, 2001, 11:56 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Pat,
At age 21 as a college graduation present my wonderful Godmother took me on Cunard's Caronia (not this one, the one before it) on a 108 day world cruise. I was not bored, not for one minute. There were 4 of us in our 20's, all girls. We had the entire crew of over 600 to play with and play we did. Besides, the ports and shore excursions were glorious. Our shore excursions were long. Sometimes we wouldn't see the ship for 3 weeks. I will never do another one, even if I won the lottery. The memory is so wonderful nothing will ever be allowed to challenge it. It gave me my love of cruising however, which has lasted over 40 years.

Carole
Old February 22nd, 2001, 01:35 AM
Admiral

Here is some odd trivia for you: For each of the past 25 years, QE 2 has made an circumnavigation of 90 days each winter. There are around 1,200 passengers aboard, most aged 70+. The ship always carries 27 caskets.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Carole Dunham

Anne,
We had 4 people die of old age on our cruise. Plus one guy disappeared in the Indian Ocean mid cruise. He was an alcoholic and the more booze he had in him the neastier he got. He was very rich and his family shipped him off on long cruises all the time. We think what probably happened is that he couldn't sleep one night, got liquored up and went out on deck. Since he never had anything nice to say about anyone when he was drunk, he probably had something nasty to say to a crewman who dumped him overboard. Or that's what we though. He could have fallen or jumped too, but the first story is not only the most probable it's the most interesting. We also had the widow of the founder of one of the big US auto firms onboard. She brought TWO gigolos with her. Considering her age, she was in her 80's, we all thought two would kill her before the cruise was over, .

Carole
Old February 23rd, 2001, 09:14 PM
First Mate

Anne,
That is very odd. I wonder why they chose 27? Do they get buried at sea?
Well, I can't think of a better way to go. I think a topic of little known cruise ship facts on this message board would be very good reading. Thanks for reply.
Old February 23rd, 2001, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Carole,
That is hilarious! What are the odds that 4 people would die on the same cruise?
I wounder what really happened to that guy. I think that widow thought she was on the LOVE boat.
Pat
Old February 24th, 2001, 01:58 AM
Carole Dunham

I'm 62 and she was in her 80's. One gigolo was in his 40's, the other his 50's. I coouldn't handle either one of them at MY age let alone 20 years from now. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Carole