Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Canadians can WHINE here

I'm noticing more and more posts by fellow Canucks. No one seems to understand there would be even MORE of us if the value of our dollar wasn't so UGLY.
YEARS ago, when I went to college in the US our Canadian dollar was actually worth more than US.
For Canadians now, booking a cruise is like buying a new home. Our dollar is so bad now Mexicans come to Canada for vacations <G>
I've had friends from the US come to visit, pay for all their purchases with a credit card, and when they get home, because of the exchange rate, they have credits on their Visa card. <G>

So, let's hear it from the Canucks. I'll give you all the sympathy you need, but I do charge for my advice in US funds! :o)

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2001, 11:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Canadians can WHINE here

Want some cheese with that whine? But I do agree! Maybe we need to start a Canadian cruise line that takes all fares in Canuck bucks?
Old February 19th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Mo,

Just wait a bit. With what's happening to the US economy, everything will probably be evening out a bit very soon. Of course, that means only the rich and infamous will be able to afford to cruise, . That's why I will be on the Horizon very soon. VERY cheap and right out of my backyard so no air fare.

Carole

PS Do I count? My father was Canadian (St. John, NB)
Old February 20th, 2001, 08:24 AM
kayla

10 years ago, the exchange rate was 17% (not much more than our dreaded GST and Ontario PST). You could go and buy pretty much anything without worrying about the cost. At 50% now, it makes taking US vacations much more difficult. But hey, it's only money and you only live once. Cruising is still the best value for the money.
Old February 20th, 2001, 02:41 PM
chris&debs

you want to try living in the UK, then you would have something to whine about, see what cost we have to pay for a cruise !!!
Old February 21st, 2001, 01:30 AM
Admiral

I don't mind paying the money... just quit waking me up on the last morning before everyone else so some American official can look at me officiously and stamp my passport. My goal in life is to become a Customs inspector in Vancouver, and get to wake up all those Americans sailing in from Alaska!!! Sweet.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 01:29 AM
Admiral

I applied for Canadian citizenship and was turned down! You silly folks rejected me because of one wrong answer on the immigration quiz: When is Thanksgiving?
I wrote, "what do you have to be thankful for here?" Geeze, nobody is perfect, not even you guys.

BTW, no Canadian has yet to answer my question. It costs a lot of money to leave the place, you kneel before that old lady wearing a crown, no sex scandals I've ever heard of and you can't spell English. But hey, I live in New York and therefore nobody to question anyone's taste.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 08:13 AM
kayla

We no longer kneel before the old lady. Haven't for a number of years now. Thanksgiving is in October. Why? Becase we don't have a long weekend any other time in that month so we needed something.Canadians love their long weekends. (Actually it has something to do with harvest being done etc...but why get technical).
Old February 22nd, 2001, 05:23 PM
Admiral

" ' " sob ' " ' That says it all...done our cruise Jan 2Oth, first holiday in three years. My husband and son now have the addiction too and I don't think we'll be able to feed it for quite a while.

As for deals on cruises, I think if you are lucky with regional promotions, we got a Canadian rate below what I saw the internets yell "special" in US dollars!! It's just when you get on board, pay about $3 a pop and then with the tips, you start to wonder whether the waiters are earning more than you are!!! You certainly feel the poor man on board!
Old February 23rd, 2001, 08:48 AM
Admiral

At least we have the good sense to have our Thanksgiving on a long weekend (and in October, before it snows)... What genius picked Thursday, anyways? Also, at least we kneel before a Lady, and a real person. You guys pledge allegiance to a large bird and some fictional guy who looks like Col. Sanders in a red and white striped suit And I need not even mention Florida (oops, guess I just did). And Anne, you are in good company... George W. Bush does not meet our eligibility requirements either. Something about being convicted of a crime... Feel better?
Old February 23rd, 2001, 12:04 PM
Admiral

OH YEAAAA!! Since when did you guys have a President who looses the majority vote but can become the most powerful man in the world, just by suing his way into office? At least in this country, if you're an imprisoned felon convicted of selling cocaine, you can buy a Presidential pardon. Our legal system is obviously superior: you can kill two people, have DNA results that show you are 99.99% guilty and still get off. It's just a coincidence that OJ spent $10 million for his legal team.
Old February 23rd, 2001, 05:56 PM
First Mate

Annette: That all just proves that we Americans have the best country that money can buy! Quit your whining and move south. After all, we welcome everyone, even Canadians....
Old February 24th, 2001, 03:30 AM
Admiral

Anne, are the cruise missiles on their way yet??? (we'll tell you in advance, our strategy is to spread out).... remember to send a lot, 50% accuracy in warm climates like Iraq... who knows how they'll work in the cold. Wanna borrow my booster cables? Your subs have 100% accuracy with fishing boats though. Too bad we don't have a navy.
Old February 24th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jeff wrote:
>
> Annette: That all just proves that we Americans have the
> best country that money can buy! Quit your whining and move
> south. After all, we welcome everyone, even Canadians....

I was actually considering a move south, but I have to wait a bit. I have to save just awhile longer to be able to afford new baggy white shorts, and black socks. Though, I do already own a pair of nice dress shoes that will be good for the beach.

Kuki
Features Editor