Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2001, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Default How many cruises

I have read many times on this site and in other publications about people who have gone on many cruises, some 20-40 times or more, in a realatively short period of time. This amazes me (and makes me very jealous). I find it very interesting. It often leads me to think about how one can afford both the time and money to go on that many cruises. Please tell me your secret. Thanks for responding and happy sailing.
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2001, 03:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: How many cruises

We began cruising in 1988, and have been on almost 50 cruises since. The secret? We live in Miami, 35 minutes from the Port of Miami and less than an hour from Port Everglades. Many cruise lines advertise in the local paper and have a lot of last-minute and/or Florida resident specials, in order to fill up underbooked cruise space. Without having to worry about air connections, we can take advantage of these deals. We can usually go on 2, 3 or more cruises for the price many people pay for one! Of course, our choices are often limited, as to ship, line and itineraries, but we've never been on a bad cruise and have always had a great time! The "worst" experience we've ever had was when we relly wanted to go on a 7-day cruise and waited too late and had to take a 5! Big deal: we went on a Saturday to Thursday, got back Thursday am, got into the car (where we had a second set of bags packed...) and drove to Orlando for the week-end.... Therefore, to answer you best: MOVE TO SOUTH FLORIDA!
Old March 3rd, 2001, 04:29 PM
Mary Lou

I, too, am very jealous. But it sure sounds like moving to FL is the answer.
Old March 3rd, 2001, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

ML,
Can I move to Florida with ya?? Sure is something to think about at some point in our lives :-)

Donnassei
Old March 3rd, 2001, 05:29 PM
Carole Dunham

Oh, I don't know. I live 5 minutes from the port of Miami and in the winter I'm in heaven. Then come the summer months with temps in the 90's with humidity to match. Swimming doesn't cool you down because pools and the ocean feel like swimming in chicken soup. and then there are hurricanes and tropical storms. I grew up in the midwest and miss seasons too. Much too subtle down here.

Carole (who yearns for the cool)
Old March 3rd, 2001, 05:58 PM
Mary Lou

Donna, you sure can! Start packing.
Old March 3rd, 2001, 06:07 PM
Robocop

Well, from one who lives in North East Florida I can attest that we do have some pretty cold days in the winter but being near the ocean and all the lakes and rivers keeps us pretty nice in the summer. We started cruising in late 1996 and now have 14 cruises under our belt. Reason being is just as others have said, no airfare equals another cruise. Also, look for sales and bargains that are hard to refuse, many right here in this site! I don't need a balcony even though they are wonderful, I just enjoy the cruise and the people most and if that means skimping on the cabin every now and then, so be it. Also, when you really sit down and figure out the coast of a land vacation verses a cruise, a cruise wins hands down all the time.
Jim
Old March 3rd, 2001, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

ML,

Getting the bags down now :-)

Donnassei
Old March 3rd, 2001, 09:00 PM
Admiral

We've been on 17 or 18 cruises since moving to Florida. Going on another one in a month. We love the weather here all year round - even in the summer when it is really humid. Guess we got used to it, and we don't miss the ice, snow and cold weather we experienced in Ohio & Pennsylvania. But - because it is so nice in Southern Florida, everyone seems to be moving here - and its much too crowded. Traffic is horrible!
Old March 3rd, 2001, 09:32 PM
Aaron

12 cruises here, basically 1 a year. The last 2 years we were able to jump a ship out of Philly or NY during the summer. Retirement sounds like south FLA to me too for the cruise aspect. Many years to go first.
Old March 4th, 2001, 12:30 AM
Ceddie

Well I cheat I used to work on the ships so did about 230 cruises but Robo says I can't count those.
apart from that we have taken 3 or 4 cruises in the past but have taken 1 a year for the past 5 years and are booked on the radiance next year (only 369 days to go)

Ceddie
Old March 4th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Kellie

I've been on 6 so far, first time was in 1988. Next one in May to the Med on Millie!
Old March 4th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We took our first cruise just over 7 years ago, Dec. 94. The FEVER enveloped me pretty quickly, and by 96 I was doing more than one a year.
My Amsterdam cruise at the end of this month will be #21.
Thank the lord the CruiseMates Publisher and Editor-in-Chief figured a guy in a thong wearing antlers might be able to pass as a travel writer. Otherwise my kids would be going barefoot.

Kuki
Features Editor <<< struck by cruise lightening
Old March 4th, 2001, 07:12 PM
David Starkey

I have been crusing for 25 years and have seen a lot of ships come and go. With my wife and two boys we have done 25 cruises and are currently booked on the 26th voyage. Infinity for June in Alaska #27 Carnival Spirit from Hawaii to Vancouver next spring. We also have a transatlatic 16 day booked for April 2002.#28
We have been lucky to get great rates and research cruises that offer what we like at an affordable price.
We dont smoke or drink, but set aside money each month to finance our vacations.
I will confess that my wife accumulates lots of frequent flyer miles in her work, so we never have to pay for air flights(boy that does help)
I can prove that setting aside a few hundred amonth pays a big dividend for us.
Old March 4th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think all of the above have the right idea! Mostly the last poster - if you want to do it badly enough, you can. The secret is to plan and save for it. I went on my first cruise in 1983 with my sister. Husband went with me on the second in 1985 and from that time on it was at least one a year, more if we could fit it into his teaching schedule and I have gone on some cruises without him. Will be heading for #45 next month and don't plan to slow down anytime soon.

Just set your priorities, save, plan and go do it now! Please don't "wait til someday". I have heard way too many sad "someday stories".

Some people collect "things". I prefer collecting "memories". I don't have to move them, they don't gather dust, and the kids can't fight over them when I am gone! In the meantime I am enjoying the collecting process VERY much.
Old March 4th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Carole Dunham

I don't even remember how many cruises I've been on. Lots I think. My first was in 1959 and that just got me started. Now I do one or two a year. I'm guessing I've done about 35, a little more a little less, coouldn't tell you.

Carole
Old March 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Teach

We took our first cruise on the then brand new Song of America RCCL and got hooked. Before retiring in 89 we made four more. Since we have made two or more a year mostly on new ships as they come out trying visit new ports if we can. We hold down costs by booking inside cabins early at the lowest price we can get and try to use frequent flier miles where possible. Fortunately my wife wants it dark and I don't care as long as we go. Hate to pay the air but must from the west coast if we want to see new things and places. Our next cruise is in Aug. on the Legend of the Seas to St.Petersberg will be the 28th.
Old March 6th, 2001, 03:09 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

me and my husband are addictedto cruising We are from Holland and in Jan we come over to the Carabean for cruising last year we did south Amerika and this year netherlands Antillen
We did cruise the Mediterainen 2
and the most beautiful place to see
are the Norwegian Fjords
one year we went to Indonesien we saw a lot of nice places
but the staff was German don,t ever go on a german ship
In my opinium the H.A.L. is the best there is (not for verry young peaple)
We work both verry hard so wecan go on a cruise every yea
there is a special trave agent for interliners ,peaplewho have connections with airlines and also there parents We pay 80 dollars a day on a HAL ship send an e- mail to
vas@vacationatsea .dl and you cat more information
Old March 6th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Admiral

We started cruising less than 7 years ago and will be on our 9th cruise in less than 11 days. We like the newer ships for the variety of options that are offered and the great ports of call. How else can you see 6 countries, 9 ports in 12 days and still have time to lay out in the sun and never have to worry about driving, packing and unpacking only once, your food is variable and water safe. Like others have said, save wisely, and don't put it off until tomorrow.
Bon Voyage
Old March 7th, 2001, 12:51 AM
Mike Mastellar

I have the addiction. Took my first cruise just over one year ago, 2/7/00 on Mercury. I will be taking number five on 5/11 again on the Mercury. Give me a nice ship, good food and a nice cabin and I'm happy.

Take Care;
Mike
Old March 14th, 2001, 08:38 PM
NanciniD

I, like Mike, am addicted, I started in 1/90, 6/93, 6/94, 5/00, 6/00, 11/00, 2/01, 5/01, 6/01 and am thinking about Nov or Dec/01!

Ruth is so right about "do it now" - if you want it, plan, save and enjoy! Life is very short; thank God my parents taught me to enjoy and travel when health is good, finances are secure, etc.

As to how I can do it (original question in the post string): I save a lot (take lunches to work, don't buy what I don't need, etc.), have generous vacation time in my career, and search out specials (last minute, etc.). I almost always have to pay air though because of last minute bookings and I am in IL.

Thinking about a separate residence in FL...
Nancy