Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Mike Mastellar

Default Best Dessert

Greetings;
Kuki may be looking for the ultimate cruiseship pizza but I am on a quest to find and consume the best cruiseline desserts. I have been know to look at the dessert tray and tell the waiter, "Yes I'll take all of them."

What is your favorite dessert that you have had on a cruise? Mine was on Celebrity, Mercury. The Viennese chocolate pudding was to die for. We had it for lunch and later that day I went on a galley tour and saw them throwing about a dozen of them into the trash. I shed a tear at the sight of that.

Take Care;
Mike
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Best Dessert

Panna cotta as served on the Grand Princess. They always had it in the Bistro. So even on nights when we ate in the dining room or at Sabatini's, we'd go to the Bistro and get two panna cottas to go and take them back to our cabin and stash them in our refrigerator. We always asked for bananas as part of our daily fruit in the cabin. In the morning we'd slice the bananas into the panna cotta. The flavor was much like bananas foster. My daughter called the concoction panna banana foster.

Carole
Old March 26th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My best dessert for the chocolate lover in me is the "love boat" chocolate desserts they offer on Princess, they are absolutely to die for!

Donnassei
Old March 27th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Mary Lou Scanlon

Donna:
We will definately put that to the test on our New Year's cruise. .
Old March 27th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi ML,
Yep, we sure will! Can't wait!

Donnassei
Old March 27th, 2001, 10:31 AM
First Mate

The sampler plate at the Olympic room on the Millie.
Old March 27th, 2001, 01:42 PM
FrankM

Well, you've heard about the chocolate, you've heard about the panna cotta. but, one rather simple concoction just blew me away on the M S Veendam;the lunchtime "Bread Pudding". Bread pudding does not have the reputation of being a sophisticated dessert, but the Culinary Staff on the Veendam have raised it to an art form.

This simple dessert was infused with the riches cream, the freshest eggs, just the right balance of sugar, raisins and the aromatic flavoring of vanilla beans to make this humble dish a mouth-watering delight. This bread pudding was, truly a desert to die for. It is served every day at lunch as part of the Lido buffet.

I am not a dessert connoisseur by any means, but this delight just gave my taste buds a treat they have seldom experienced in the dessert arena. I am a meat, potatoes and casserole kind-of-a-guy. Desserts are way down on my list of things to steal for, but this dessert, would lead to a life of dessert crime.

If you ever treat yourself to the pleasures of a Holland American Line Cruise and find yourself on the lovely M S Veendam, do not miss the Bread Pudding. The memory of this desert is really an "Afternoon Delight".

Oh! Before I forget. No, I don't work for HAL. This was my first cruise on Holland American Lines (HAL) but, I have a strong feeling they will be seeing many more of my cruising dollars in the years to come ( "Just keep the Bread Pudding warm, I'm on my way"!)

And last-but-not-least, I almost forgot to mention that a terriffic, warm, vanilla sauce is served over the warm bread pudding that adds just the right amount of decadence to be, just a wee-bit sinful.

Bon Voyage, Bon Appetit

Frank M
Old March 27th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Frank,

Well said!!!

I have had the same delightful treat on Royal Caribbean ships and it is to die for!! I have the recipe that I downloaded from the web. Now to find the time to make it and fantasize about being back on board.

Judy
Old March 27th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Mary Lou Scanlon

The chocolate souffle in the Olympic Dining Room on Millennium is to die for.
Old March 27th, 2001, 10:17 PM
bow2stern

The whole "Chocaholic Buffet" on NCL......
Old March 28th, 2001, 10:53 PM
rsawick

I really cannot pinpoint any specific dessert other than to say that the Celbrity Galaxy always had terrific chocolate desserts available. Seems like there was some delicious chocolate concoction at the Lido, at high tea and at dinner. And I do not mean some easter-bunny super-sweet piece that diminishes the deep flavor of the chocolate, but a rich, sensuous chocolate that threatened to seduce one's self-control.
Old March 30th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Admiral

The best dessert....every dessert I had on Radisson's new Mariner. Sublime, incredible, so memorable.
Old April 24th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Palm Trees

The simple whipped cream swans are my favorite. They represent all of the desserts to come on Celebrity's ships, although I've had them on RCCL, also.