Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Mary Lou

Default It's the "little things".

I've been thinking...it is the the little things on a cruise that make it so special for me. The little things that make my week while on a cruise ship and the little things that I NEVER experiece back on dry land. Three of the little things that come to mind are:
1. I absolutely love the names the waiter calls me everyday....anything from
Miss Mary Lou to my most favorite "My Lady". I love the sound of that
and can't quite convince my hubby to call me that at home.
2. Second, I love having the napkin placed on my lap at dinner. Again, that
never happens at home.
3. And last but certainly not least, I love that little chocolate on my pillow
everynight.

I would love to hear your favorite "little things" about cruising.

Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: It's the "little things".

Hi ML,
Have to totally agree with you on the "little things". I really get a kick out of the things the cabin stewart does with my jamies, pillows, towels, etc. On our last cruise I could never find my PJ's during the day and I know they had to be there somewhere and then when we returned after dinner, show, etc., there they were neatly folded into some strange shapes, but still never found out where they were during the day?? On a cruise on Rhapsody the cabin stewart had fun with all the pillows and we found a new and different piece of art every nite, how cute! Of course I absolutely love the mint on the pillow, nice touch, something that never happens at home thats for sure.

Donnassei
Old April 18th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Mike Mastellar

On our cruise on the Norwegian Sky our cabin steward really enhanced our cruise. He created a special "towel creature" for my wife each night. Each one different and each one very creative.

I know this is the norm on Carnival, but it was an unexpected and pleasureable surprise that was memorable and greatly appreciated.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host 7:00 PM Pacific Time
Old April 18th, 2001, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Mary Lou. My husband and I had fun watching the way the waiters moved around the silver ware as it was used, between the courses. We are NOT formal people and the first night I accidently walked around the waiter to the next chair as he was holding out a chair for me!!!! My husband later cued me in and after that I was careful to watch to see which chair the waiter would hold out for me to sit in! And yes, there was the ever present way they place the napkin in your lap. One night as the "coffee girl" was pouring coffee for my husband who was to my left, she said, "Will there be anything else for you, Miss?" I said, "No thank you," to which she replied in horror in her native Romanian accent, "Oh Madame! I would never call you Miss!!!! I was speaking to the young lady next to your husband!" I thought to myself--- Oops! My bad, again! Will I ever learn????? I'll have to go to Etiquette school before our next cruise!!!!
Old April 18th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also agree it's the staff that makes your cruise special. I always book a less expensive room on my cruises. With my savings I like to reward the people who made my cruise so great. A great room isn't what makes a cruise. It's the people that pamper you all week!
Old April 19th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Texas

I'll have to agree with everyone else. My first cruise was in March 2001 and I can't wait to book another one. I enjoyed how everyone was there to help/pamper you. Boy, what I would do for a cabin stewart, right about now. I'm still trying to convince my husband to get a maid. I've slacked on my house chores and it still hasn't worked. Just this morning he asked me if I liked to clean. He's caught the hint but still no maid in the picture.
Old April 20th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also agree that it's the "little things" that make a cruise extra special. Here are a list of some of MY favorite "little things":

1. I am always amazed and delighted that the waiters remember what I drink, what salad dressing I like and how I like my steak cooked.

2. I enjoy learning about where the waiters and busboys are native to. We like to hang around after most people are done eating just to hear about their lives and cultures.

3. The cabin stewards are amazing. They make those neat little animals each night and even find my sunglasses to put on them. I love the chocolate on my pillow. And how do they know each time we go to our cabin to change or use the restroom??? They tidy up EVERY time!

4. The Cruise Director and staff are always busy making sure that we don't get bored. I haven't been on a cruise yet that the Cruise Director didn't make you feel like you really knew them by the time your cruise was done.(like an old friend)

There are many more but I guess I better not take up this entire board! Happy cruising to everyone!
Old April 20th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Mary Lou

Darlene:
I totally agree....how do the waiters remember all that stuff? They amaze me. I even had one tell me how pretty I looked early in the day on shore and he told me what I had worn......I didn't even see him on shore. That is just so cool. They really do take the time to make your cruise worthwhile. I like to think that it isn't just for the tips at the end of the cruise....I hope they enjoy their job and much as I enjoy the cruise!!
Old April 21st, 2001, 07:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Marylou,
We even had a waiter that knew who we hung around with on board!! Talk about being observant!! They never stop amazing me. And they are quick with the compliments.......I just love it!! (especially on the formal nights) The busboys sometimes work the Lido restaurants at lunch time and we had one on our last cruise that went out of his way to greet us no matter where he saw us on board. I wish people in "everyday life" were so friendly.
Old April 23rd, 2001, 07:33 PM
First Mate

On our last cruise on the Infinity, we dined in the S.S. United States Specialty restaurant, we made a game of trying to get our water glasses half full, as soon as we would drink, there was someone who came immediately to fill them. Silly things like that make me smile when I think back on that cruise.
Cher