Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default the tablemates from hell !! <shiver>

Ok kids...think about this for a minute....have you ever had tablemates that made you run to the maitre'd to beg ,plead and sob for a new table? Perhaps Mr & Mrs new moneybags plunked their newly liposuctioned bodies next to you...How about Mrs Highfalootin and her single son who still lives at home who can chatter up a storm...Or MAYBE the honeymoon couple that really should get a room? Any of these sound familiar? Let loose with all the dish about YOUR worst tablemates.Me i get along with everyone mao

Trip
Friday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2001, 11:50 PM
bostongal

Default Re: the tablemates from hell !! <shiver>

Our first night on the cruise we went to have dinner and sat at a table with 2 other couples, along with a couple we were travelling with. One of the couples was a mid-40's year old man and his 20-something wife. We tried to start a conversation but she wouldn't say two words without his approval. He even picked her dinner off of the menu for her. About midway through the dinner my husband asked the man what he did for a living and he responded that he worked for some "International" hotels but failed to clarify what exactly he did. That effectively ended the conversation for the dinner and throughout the rest of the cruise we never saw the couple again. To this day, we refer to him as the "Secret Agent".
Old June 15th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Captain

I personally have had all good tablemates but on our recent cruise on the Dawn Princess there was a table for 10 and to start the first night off there were 6 seniors at the table than along came a family of four to the table. One teen in the family had this huge blue spike mohawk and we never saw the seniors show up again. The kid may have been a nice kid but besides the blue mohawk he was quite a slob the way he was eating. He did however dress in appropriate clothes even on formal night.
Old June 15th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

My first cruise ever...as a solo. I chose Carnival hoping to meet other singles or at least others my age (late 20's). Requested - and got - late seating and a table for eight. Unfortunately, the others at my assigned table were a mom, dad and their five children, ranging in age from 3 to 13. The youngest thought the dinner rolls made great projectiles, two of the middle kids squabbled constantly and mom and dad were oblivious. Good thing...they wouldn't notice that I had switched tables. Next they put me with three senior citizen couples. Not what I had envisioned, but compared to the "Brat Pack" they were great tablemates.
Old June 15th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I must say we've been truely lucky with tablemates on all our cruises so far. I did feel bad though when we were cruising with our 2 kids and they put us at a table with 3 other couples, no other kids. I just wondered if they would of rather not had to deal with kids while cruising, but no one ever made any suggestion of that kind and we all got along great. I will say that the kids behaved themselves, so they really couldn't complain about that and of course my kids would of enjoyed others at the dinner table, but all worked out OK. For those 3 couples, thanks for for not minding eating dinner with our kids :-)

I'm sure on our next cruise my tablemates will be awesome!!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 15th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Donnamay

My husband & my first cruise was on Carnival Tropicale. The first night, at our table of 8, we had two sisters and one man who seemed in poor health. The second night the two sisters didn't show up, but a couple did and the "sick man" (don't mean to seem unsympathetic). The couple proceeded to fight for 10 minutes (he was drunk) and she left, followed (thankfully) shortly by her boyfriend - they were never seen again. The rest of the trip it was just us and "sick man". Not very much fun, but we made the best of it!
Old June 15th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It was our first trip to Alaska a couple of years back. We had the Kuki Jrs. with us (before we realized we could cruise twice as often leaving them at home..lol).
We had requested to be seated with another family with kids. They did grant the request, except the "kids" in the other family were around mid 30s.
To begin with I was feeling sorry for them getting stuck at a dinner table with "two pre age of majority kids", but by the second day it became obvious my "kids" were the more mature "kids".
There were arguments at the table between spouses... one stomping out at a time, then returning even angrier that no one had followed them out pleading for their return. It was quite a scene, and repeated the next night as well.
I think alcohol was a contibuting factor... my clue should have been the second night when all 4 showed for dinner wearing foam Budweiser frog cut outs on their head. <G>
The Maitre D did ask us if we'd like to change dining tables, but I thought if we insulted them by moving, they'd find us floating in the harbor the next morning tied to the Budweiser Frogs.
Actually, we would have changed tables, but that night all 4 had left the dining room by the time the entree was served, and we never saw them again.
We did continue to order meals for them, just so we wouldn't look like pigs ordering extras. We'd just tell the waiter.. oh yes, they just went to the washroom.. oh they just stepped out for a cigarette, .... oh yes, they want dessert, they'll be right back ..

We always request a large table for dinner, and of all our cruises, that is the ONLY time we've encountered tablemates anything less than awesome!!
A VERY good percentage, I'd say !

Regards,
Kuki
<Join us on a CruiseMates Group Cruise... here's how:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old June 16th, 2001, 11:03 AM
SuzieQ

On our last cruise we were in the balcony and could observe the diners below.

One large table was filled with tan, trim, pretty, perfectly attired young women who were then joined by two heavy, unkempt young women whose bathing suits were sticking out of their tshirts.

We could see the chairs creep further and further apart! But, noone changed tables! Looks like the Beverly Hills and Beverly Hillbillies found common ground.
Old June 16th, 2001, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Years ago, when teens could cruise with just a chaperone, there was a group from Salt Lake City (10 of them). The first 3 days, they were the talk of the ship.
The third night was formal, the guys all showed up in tux with tails (and bermuda shorts) and tennis shoes. One young man was extremely drunk, and proceeded to pass out directly into his dinner plate. His friends, nonchalantly picked up his head and turned it to the side so he wouldn't suffocate, and proceeded to eat their meal. By the time dessert rolled around, they carried him back to his room.
After that night, they were very quiet, we got talking to them and they were really nice kids, just their first time away from mom and pop, and went berserk.
We kidded them about the fact that it was a 7 day cruise, too bad they would only remember 4 or them.
Actually, they were quite entertaining, and when sober, very funny.
Still haven't ever had the mates from hell, we make it an adventure.
Cher
Old June 18th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Gina

I wouldn't exactly call it a table from hell but on our first cruise we asked for a table of 8 or 10 hoping that we would find some nice people . Well they put us at a table for four with a very nice young couple but we had nothing in common and it was very awkward. We lucked out when they switched us to a table for 6 with three really fun guys from New Jersey.

This is my biggest fear in cruising. Why can't they do some kind of 'matchmaking' at least with the families and seniors?
Old June 22nd, 2001, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The time on Windstar when Anne and I were seated with a funeral director and his wife who was also in the business. They had met at a funeral director's convention. All he wanted to do all night was talk shop, which consisted of complaining about the over-regulation of the industry by the government.

"Why should I have to keep up surgical standards in my lab? They're DEAD!!??!!"

You get the picture.
Old June 26th, 2001, 11:07 AM
SuzieQ

Okay Paul...you win hands down! lol

I will never again judge...unless they eat with their feet!