Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Great Vacation Books

As an avid reader, I like to take a few books with me on a cruise..I may not read them all,but I NEED to have them..On my last cruise i read 3! I would like to share some of my recent favorites,and hope you will add yours to the list...
1..A Trip To The Beach/ Melanie & Bob Blanchard
from page one you are swept away to the island of Anguilla,with 2 former Vermont food entrepeneurs,who start a new life and a new restaurant in the laid back Caribbean...This is a*I want the book to grow 400 more pages kind of book*
2..1st to Die/James Patterson
this novelist starts a new series with this book about a group of women who decide to find a murderer who is killing newlyweds..A fast and well paced read..

3..Cold Season/Stuart Woods
et in Palm Beach,this is a continuation of the Stone Barrington series,perfect for a sea day by the pool....

lastly i have just ordered from half.com,2 cruise orientated books i have seen ona newsgroup posting....i have recieved one and already i cannot wait to get at at.
Murder on Deck/Rosemary Herbert
Cruising for Death/Susan Sussman
OK i am waiting for your summer cruise picks..Trip..Friday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2001, 11:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Great Vacation Books

Well, here are a few of my current or recent books, with 2 being stories related to the ocean and one on traveling.

"Blue Highways - a journey into America" by William Least Heat-Moon basically a travelogue as he sees america from the backroad highways

"Passage to Juneau - a sea and its meanings" by Jonathan Raban haven't read this one yet. Looks good though!

"Lost at Sea - an american tragedy" by Patrick Dillon deals with the loss of a crab ship off of Alaska. Provides a real glimpse into the lives and conditions of those who live and work in one of the most high risk jobs in the USA.

Thanks for your list, Trip! I always like to have a few books lined up for future reading too. I'm like you on a cruise myself - always must have enough books with for the whole cruise...lol. When I get a chance I might dig back into the archives and give up a few more titles that you may or may not have seen.
Old June 25th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My favorite is "Ship of Gold - in the deep blue sea" a true story of the sinking and recovery of a side-paddle steamer of the coast of North Carolina carrying enough California gold that the loss of the ship caused a national economic recession that lasted for several years.

"Lost at Sea" sounds pretty good, I will have to look for that.
Old June 25th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

oops..my mistake...the Stuart Woods book is Cold Paradise..sorry!
Old June 26th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Mary Lou

Hi Trip:
My summer reading/listening (books on tape) has consisted of the following so far:
In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton. A very interesting, but depressing, book about the USS Indianapolis. It is such a sad part of our history. I really didn't know much about this incident until I read the book. I would definately recommend it, but keep in mind that it isn't a "lite" book.
I'm also trying to finish Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy. The book is excellent but it is 662 pages of very, very small print. I'm too old for this small print. My next book will have LARGE print, ha ha. I also enjoyed Tara Road but Binchy.
Also did "The Street Lawyer" by John Grisham....it is pretty typical Grisham....I enjoyed it.
I, too, read A Trip to the Beach and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host