var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-219634-17']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })(); "Parking" Fees For Cruise Ships - CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2001, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Default "Parking" Fees For Cruise Ships

The curiosity bug has bitten me and I have a question about "parking" fees for cruise ships. If a ship that holds 2,000 passengers charges $150 for port charges it adds up to $300,000.00. If the ship docks in Miami and sails to 3 other ports during the week, a total of 4 ports, that means it costs the ship $75,000 to dock in any given port for 8 to 12 hours which seems unreasonable to me. I would be inclined to think that some other fingers may be dipping into the $300,000 pie.
So here is my question. Does any one know how much it actually costs the cruise line to dock my imaginary 2,000 passenger ship in a foreign port for a few hours?
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: "Parking" Fees For Cruise Ships

I do not know exactly how much it costs, but I do know that a lot of people have asked the same question. Carnival just settled a class action lawsuit for this exact thing - over-charging customers for port charges.

I have also heard travel agents question why one cruise lines port charges are different from anothers when they go the same ports. --- hhmmmm, food for thought.
Old June 26th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Robocop

Default Re: "Parking" Fees For Cruise Ships

Well lets see if we can cipher this one out. <G> 2,000 times say $15 pp for entry and exit fees charged by the country equals $30,000. Figure $2,000 for the pilot for both coming and going, maybe $5,000 for trash disposal, and lets go big here and say $10,000 for dock fees.....comes to what $47,000? Seems like $28,000 is unaccounted for? Like Paul said, Hummmmmm <G>
Jim