Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2001, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Default I found you all!! Out of breath from running....

here you all are!!!

Since I don't have a computer at home (procrastinator that I am), I "travel" the web at work.

Jeepers -- you go away a couple of days and things change a lot!!

OK -- i got questions (yes, again)

I've got 53 days (August 19) before Inner Passage on the Vision. And I'm obsessing (yet again!) about packing/clothes to wear.

I'm all set on formal (on a 7 niter, 1 formal & 1 semiformal?); but I keep vacillating between sweat pants, jeans, or slacks (capris?)for at sea days. I plan on wearing my "farmer" jeans on the glacier tour; then change into casual or what's necessary for evening.

I have to stop -- now I'm thinking about changing to leggings instead, which would definitely require another shopping trip for long shirts!!

Ladies, help!!!!!

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2001, 12:11 PM
DisneyBlonde

Default Re: I found you all!! Out of breath from running..

Hi Joanne:

I can't help you on what to pack...just wanted to say 'hi'. Glad you found us!
Old June 27th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Admiral

The best bet -- clothing that "layers" in case it's chilly. A cotton sweater or sweat shirt to take along. I don't go anywhere without my waterproof rain slicker; has a hood so you don't need an umbrella, and lots of great pockets.

You'll love this part of the world! So beautiful.

Anne
Old June 27th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Admiral

And we are very glad that you found us!!!!

You'll love Alaska!
Old June 27th, 2001, 01:01 PM
First Mate

thanks everyone!!

Yes, we have a cabin (all I know is it's a Cat D guarantee); yes, I have binoculars; i'm prepared with the sweatshirt (only bringing one, my excuse for shopping!!); windbreaker/rain slicker-type; waterproof ponchos; gloves; weatherproof hikers for excursions; shoes for formal.

but what has been your experience during the day? cotton slacks? 1 pair of shorts just in case? sweatpants or jeans?

and my Tweety-bird slippers are ready to go!!
Old June 27th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Been to Alaska 3 times, worn anything from shirt to coats during the day.

Be prepared for everything....sigh...I'm not going to get to Alaska this year by the looks of it!
Old June 27th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Carole Dunham

Welcome and enjoy cruisemates. the only thing I would advise is not to wear jeans on the glacier. Jeans get wet and soggy and take a long time to dry. Nylon pants, preferably baggy so you can stick some long undies on underneath are ideal. They stay dry and you stay warm.

Carole
Old June 27th, 2001, 02:38 PM
First Mate

ok -- time to change the clothing plan i guess. Carole, by nylon pants, is that like a jogging suit outfit, where the pants are usually lined & I get very noisy when I walk in them (like, what sounds to my ears like very loud swooshing!!)? Ooohhh -- that means more shopping (think I like that idea!)
Old June 27th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Welcome Joschmo!

Here's a link to an article I wrote.. oddly titled Packing for Alaska <G>
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/cruiseguide/portsofcall/alaska/packing.cfm>

Hope it's of some help!
Regards,
Kuki
Join us on a CruiseMates Group Cruise... here's how:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old June 27th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Hi, Joanne ...

I have this really strange Alaska get-up. I put a polo shirt OVER a turtleneck. It looks kind of slick with a cardigan sweater and if the day gets warm I can take off the T-neck and go with the polo.

Don't wear jeans that are too tight. Absolutely no insulation value. Khakis are the best. And you can put a wind suit (the crinkly things with a lining) over if it's really nippy. Rip-Stop jackets that fold up into their own pockets are A Good Thing, too.

If you are travelling with a male companion? Buy HIM some pantyhose. Skiiers know that pantyhose are the most excellent under-layer going.

Also, hit your local ski store for what they call "glitter gloves". Light-weight and very manipulatable. (Did I just make up a word?) Over them, put plain old cotton work gloves with the fingers cut off so you can use your camera or binocs and still have toasty hands. Doesn't look too great, but it works !!!

Count on two formal nights for a seven-day cruise, but Alaska cruises are less formal than the Caribbean. A pair of black silk pants with two tops will do it.

pamda -- CruiseMates Utility Infielder