Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 10:25 AM
DisneyBlonde

Default What was your first cruise like?

Most of you are seasoned cruisers. I have only one sail-away under my belt, though I do travel by plane quite extensively.

What are the memories of your first cruise?

I remember being very excited to see the enormous ship at the dock (The Grand)...and I was anxious because our flight had been late and we got to the dock VERY late. We were scheduled to arrive at 3pm, which I felt was late to begin with, but with our flight delay we didn't get there till 7!!

One regret that I have is that I wasn't able to linger and soak in those first few moments, and my first impressions...we were rushed to get our documents processed and onto the ship. Would have liked to have had a few moments to just stand there and drink it all in before boarding.

Any thoughts of disappoinment were quickly forgotten when I started wandering through the ship. But I'll tell you, December - Voyager cruise - we're getting to the dock at 10 AM!!! !!!

How about you?
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What was your first cruise like?

My first cruise as an adult was on the Meridian, now sadly sleeping with the fishes off the Strait of Malacca.

I guess it's sort of like how you never forget your first kiss (if it was a good one). We loved Meridan so much we sailed her six times.

My best memory is coming out of New York harbor and passing the Statue of Liberty. I'd never seen her from the water before. I went all sniffly and waxed off on what it must have been like for our forbears to see the statue when they arrived and blah, blah, blah. Cap'n Andy (now to be known as Queeg) gave me his most patient look. "My love, our families were here QUITE a long time before that statue showed up."

Duh.

pamda
Old June 28th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Good question Diz. Boarding my first cruise ship is a bit of blur also. A short 3 nighter out of San Juan. Waiting in line, sitting on whatever I could find, barely alive and feeling like ^&*%$ after having contracted a bout of food poisoning. Don't even remember boarding the ship. Within several hours of boarding I was down at the infirmary getting a shot that fixed me right up. Had a dive scheduled for the next day, wondering how THAT was going to work. Being sick underwater. Ugh. Felt better the next day, good dive, and was hooked on cruising immediately!
Old June 28th, 2001, 11:16 AM
bostongal

Our first cruise was last year on the Majesty out of Boston to Bermuda. I remember not sleeping at all the night before, running around getting everyone packed and being so excited. I was incredibly stressed out when we first arrived at the pier (didn't even want that photo taken) and was absolutely convinced that there would be something wrong with our birth certificates and photo ids that we wouldn't be able to get on the boat! We waited in line for awhile watching the cruiseline confiscate everyone's liquor from their carryon bags and then we were on the boat!!!!!!!!! We found our cabin and unpacked - I went right up to the deck and had a nice fruity drink. The whole trip was so wonderful that we are doing it again.
Old June 28th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Kellie

My first Cruise was 13 years ago on the Sun Viking a RCI ship it was a small but well maintained ship. I loved all the wood on this ship. I was 6 months pregnant at the time so I was pampered totally by the staff. Had a wonderful time.
Old June 28th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Jenny

My first cruise was back in 1990 on the Viking Serenade for a 1 week Mexican Riviera trip. We had a wonderful time - the bar waiters around the pool really added to the festive feeling and would dance and sing to what ever music was playing, spinning their trays (when empty) on the tip of their fingers - quite a show! We were VERY thankful to have been wearing ear patches, because we got to deal with hurricane Trudy a couple of days into the trip. Even the ship's staff was getting sea sick! When you'd walk down the hall to get to the cabin, you'd bounce off one wall to another... made for a lot of fun trying to dance in the Viking Crown Lounge! Our ship was the only one that made it to all ports. We had a blast - and quite the adventure!
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:09 PM
MamaTene

Ours was in 1989 aboard the majestic and impress Grand Lady of the all...the Norway. At the time she was one of the biggest if not the biggest ship afloat. Was amazed at the sheer size of her.
We were in an inside inside room which was sorta like being in a closet in the smallest cabin across from an inside room!!!! Bunk beds, little tv, no space at all..room couldnt have been more that 10ft square!!
I remember sitting outside one of the stores on the International Deck each evening and having coffee and danish delivered . We would call the galley and have them deliver to the Muster Station number that was opposite the place we were sitting.
We were treated like royalty the whole week...to this day, the Norway remains my favorite ship!
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:24 PM
watergirl

My first (and only cruise so far) was this past November on the Galaxy. I was just in awe when we arrived at the port in San Juan. There was the Galaxy, the Dawn Princess, a Royal Carribean and a Carnival ship docked. I remember the parade of ships as they left the port that night. The Galaxy was the last ship to leave...it was a beautiful sight. Loved sitting out on the balcony each morning and enjoying our coffee and then at night just relaxing.

It only took one time...and we were hooked on cruising. We're booked for a Western Caribbean on the Mercury this November and I can't wait. Time and finances will only allow us one cruise a year, but I feel fortunate to be able to do that.
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:27 PM
MamaTene

Ours was in 1989 aboard the majestic and impress Grand Lady of the all...the Norway. At the time she was one of the biggest if not the biggest ship afloat. Was amazed at the sheer size of her.
We were in an inside inside room which was sorta like being in a closet in the smallest cabin across from an inside room!!!! Bunk beds, little tv, no space at all..room couldnt have been more that 10ft square!!
I remember sitting outside one of the stores on the International Deck each evening and having coffee and danish delivered . We would call the galley and have them deliver to the Muster Station number that was opposite the place we were sitting.
We were treated like royalty the whole week...to this day, the Norway remains my favorite ship!
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Captain

To get me on my first cruise my wife and friends had to do a lot of arm twisting. It was on the Independence in Hawaii to see a total eclipse. Fortunately we took the cruise because it was cloudy in Hawaii and the ship had to sail 250 miles out of its way to find clear skies. I fell in love with the ship the second I saw her and now I drive my wife and friends nuts talking about cruising. Can not book the next one fast enough.
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Our first was in Dec. 94, and I went kicking and screaming.. though I was obligated, as I'd foolishly promised Mrs Kuki a cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary (we were married in 1979.. never good at math .. lol).
The ship was the Nordic Prince.. her last sailing as a part of the Royal Caribbean fleet. And looked like RCI knew it was going and hadn't spend 30 cents on her last refurbishment.
We had a tiny inside cabin (my shoes have more floor space), and the beds were in an L shape, with walls on either ends of the beds, and they couldn't be moved. And it was located furthest aft, lowest deck.

My single bed was 5' 9" from wall to wall.. my body 6' 4". It was likely a good thing I couldn't sleep much in that small space because the noise from the engine room, right below us, likely would have kept waking me up anyway.

We had the BEST time of any vacation prior ( gosh we must have had some bad vacations before that.. lol) and I was hooked. Booked our next within weeks of getting back, and the rest is cruise industry folklore.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Our first cruise was on the S.S. Atlantic (a Big Red Boat) in 1994...4 days to The Bahamas....I haven't been the same since.....

DeniseZ
Old June 28th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My first cruise was completely different because I was going aboard as a crew member. If you read my bio here:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/pauley1.html> you will get the background of how I got a job on a cruise ship. But the experience of actually going on a ship was something more. I really got hooked on the idea of cruising by watching Love Boat (that is true), But before I actually had a job, I got truly hooked the day I went to the Los Angeles pier to watch the RV Sun sail away. When that beautiful shop pulled alongside and I watched people disembark with the smiles on their faces I was captivated. I walked aboard my first ship and was awed by the splendour.

By the time the ship left that afternoon I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life. She was heading for China and that sounded so exotic. Before she left the champagne and streamers came out (this was 1982, they still did that then) and I was nearly in tears as I watched her sail away.

So when I was actually offered a job, about 3 weeks later, with Royal Viking Line I was walking on air. My first cruise, as I said before, was round-trip from LA to Tahiti, Hawaii and back beginning wih 10 days at sea. I ended up spending 7 months on that ship and sailed all the way from Tahiti to the Norwegian fjords with stops in Mexico, Rio, Caribbean, and the British Isles along the way.

But when I first knew I had the job the funny part is this... and I have heard this from most people who work on ships. When you first get the job you don't know what to buy to wear. I had never been a cruise so I didn't know. I ended up buying these pseudo-nautical shirts with buttons on the shoulders and stripes. I thought I looked very dapper. Of course that was all wrong, I should have just gotten regular sports clothes (I was a stage manager, we didnt have official uniforms). When I got on board and saw the tall blonde Norwegian officers in their very dapper uniforms I felt like a complete fool! (I am somewhat short and not blonde).

Also, people who work on ships will also tell you this - you get a little training for your job, but you learn by doing, and it is such a shock to have to learn everything about the ship, your job, your co-workers, etc all at once. It is all new and unfamiliar. The electrical plugs were Euro so nothing I had worked. Someone suggested I go to the bridge to get an adaptor! You can imagine this newbie in stupid clothes going up to the captain and asking him if he had a 220-110 converter. I did that.

The food in the crew mess was all strange to me, fish, cheese and beans for breakfast. There was Mueslix before it had ever come to the US.

I was tossed right in to my duties with little orientation. But I learned fairly quickly. I don't even remember those 10 days at sea as being difficult though I remember other crew members saying they were so ready to get off. Now I understand that.
Old June 28th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was 10 years old, sailing on Sitmar's FairWind for 10 days. Our family's first cruise turned out to be a total addiction. We sailed that ship every year for the next 6 years, and actually had the same cabin almost every year. Europa deck, cabin 247, I still remember it and I'm 32 years old. We had the same waiter the first 3 years, then he started getting promoted. The last time we sailed her, he was the maitre 'd and I remember he came to our table one night and cooked us dinner at the table. Talk about feeling special. My parents have sailed obsessively ever since and are into 30+ cruises now. I'm only up to 18 but I sure would like to catch up to them.
I remember on that first cruise the children's program was so awesome, they gave prizes for everything. My mom had to buy another suitcase in St. Thomas just to bring home all the games and toys my sister and I had won. Those were the days.
Old June 28th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Mary Lou

It is so funny.....when someone asks about my first cruise.....those wonderful feelings come flooding back to me. As soon as I saw that HUGE ship sitting at the pier, I was in love. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. Everything about my first cruise was simply "The Best". We sailed on Galaxy in 12/97 for my 40th birthday. My husband, like Kuki, went kicking and screaming. But, now he is as hooked as I am.
Thanks for letting me experience that great feeling again.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old June 28th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Passenger

In 1958 I think my family sailed from Liverpool to Karachi. It took 6 weeks. We had the entire contents of our house with us including a Ford Anglia. My most memorable memory is of sailing through the Suez canal following the P @ O Canberra. She looked like a very tall building. Not realizing that today she would have been considered quite small. We were on a freighter though she had a very small swimming pool. My wife and I took our first vacation cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. The ship was just 6 months old.
Old June 28th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Braves Fans

Our first cruise was a high school graduation cruise aboard the Big Red Boat in the late 80's. We really thought our ship was huge...lol. Many years later, after taking another cruise, we laughed at ourselves thinking the Big Red Board was so big. We saw it in port next to some other ships and couldn't believe how small it was. We had a great time, though.
Old June 28th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

wanderlust wrote:
>
> In 1958 I think my family sailed from Liverpool to Karachi.
> It took 6 weeks. We had the entire contents of our house
> with us including a Ford Anglia.

Now that's a case of SERIOUS overpacking!!! Did the car fit under the bed with the suitcases?

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old June 28th, 2001, 07:08 PM
DisneyBlonde

There are so many great stories here.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing!
Old June 28th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'll be able to let you know in November! But all your stories have me sooo excited now!
denisep
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:32 PM
Passenger

.......yeah right......What do I mean "I think"...I know we did it...we used to spend the day sitting on the roof of the cargo hold. The ship was called the Caledonia and belonged to the Anchor Line. I recently went looking on the net for the ship and it was last used in Germany as a floating hostel, thought I would think by now she would be scrapped. In trying to get my memory to work I remember sailing on another ship called the Oxfordshire. We sailed from somewhere in England to Singapore. This would be in the mid 50's I really don't remember anything about that sailing as I was only 3 or 4. I think the sailing to Karachi was about 1962.
p.s. the car didn't fit under the bed...my toys did...
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For some reason that "first" cruise always stands out in my mind. It was such a different vacation expierence for us, (brought the 2 small kids), and just fell in love with the whole idea, it was wonderful. Now, that was back in the 80, did a Premier ship and I must say it was not bad at all, of course since then have had some really wonderful cruises, and hopefully many more to come :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Gaile

My first cruise was on Mercury when she was brand new (like the second cruise) and it must be a "Man Thing" this screaming and kicking to get them on the ship. My hubby actually thought he was gonna sleep in hammocks and crawl thru doors like on the Navy ships. Needless to say, he was pleasantly surprised and we are seldom without at least one cruise booked anymore. Spending my children's inheritance and having a blast doing it. The thing that I remember most clearly about that cruise however was the size of the ship. Thought I had it all figured out how big it was gonna be. WRONG. It was huge. Amazing how quickly it became small next to all the newbuilds.

Thanks all for sharing with us.

CM Wednesday Nite Host
Tweety
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Reefshark

Christmas cruise on the Dreamward, 1993, eastern Caribbean. I didn't want to go, because I didn't think we were "rich enough" for sailing on a passenger ship. I remember all of the differently themed Christmas trees, feeling lonely without our children (all grown by then), and an excellent waiter in the Terrace dining room. The main memory is snorkeling on Christmas day in Nassau after a cold front dropped the water temperature 10 degrees F overnight. When we disembarked the next day in Miami, it was only 31degrees, and all the Florida residents getting off the ship were freezing. We enjoyed the cruise, and were addicted by the time we got to our luggage in the customs shed.
Old June 29th, 2001, 02:28 AM
tannise

The NCL Seaward in '92. I had no clue (or internet)......loved everything from the tiny little cabin to the ingenious use of space, the room steward who not only turned down the covers, but folded my strewn about clothing (told you I had no clue), the cocktail waitress that had my Compari & soda waiting for me before dinner each night, the waiter that brought me extra brie for my cheese course. Six cruises under my belt and I love each and every one, but my "virgin" cruise will always be my favorite.
Old June 29th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Ours was on the Splendour in 1998. Our expectations were SO HIGH, we didn't even realize that we were on what would prove to be the best cruise to date. (Dawn Princess came a close second). Now we know what to expect, and how things are done, so we enjoy cruising much more now.
Old June 29th, 2001, 01:21 PM
MarieA

First cruise was in '93. My mom had just been released from her monthly doctor visits after a liver transplant and we were cruising to celebrate! The Sky Princess - my DH suggest that this was a once in a lifetime vacation and we should book a mini-suite and do it up right. I remember being totally in awe at the size of the ship! Mom and I had the best time ever, and now we do a cruise together at least once a year. We're still hooked on "bigger" rooms and we've now got my sister cruise crazed as well
Old June 29th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Chyna_C

My frist cruise was in May 1991 aboard the Oceanic (Big Red Boat). It was only a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas, but I was hooked. I tried in my mind to imagine how big the ship would be, where we would sleep (we had booked a guarentee of the cheapest cabin aboard the ship- $525 total for two - I can't forget that price! ) When we got to the pier and saw the ship I was overwhelmed with how "big" the ship was. The cabin we got was an outside cabin which would sleep 5 or 6, which made us feel sooooo lucky for such an upgrade. I do recall it was cabin R7. Everything about the cruise surpised me as I didn't know what to expect. I do recall once thinking how did the cabin steward know when we left and returned. One time I seriously openned the cabin door dashed in to mess up the bed with my hands (for fun) came back later and it was perfect. I felt it was all "magic" and was entranced by the whole experience. I do recall the first day getting back, taking a bath and felt like I was on board the ship "rocking."

The Oceanic is gone (sad thing), the X-hubby is gone (good thing) but my desire to cruise is still alive and growing every day.