Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Palm Trees

Default Where should ships cut costs??

We've had a thread of all the things that the cruise lines are taking away, or charging us extra for, i.e. Captain's Cocktail Party. If YOU were in charge, where would you cut costs and what would you include instead?

I say, eliminate the baby shampoos, lotions, shower caps, even soaps. Thank you, I'll bring my own. Then give me, instead, fresh-brewed coffee with half-and-half. Even exchange? I think so.

Olga
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Where should ships cut costs??

I wouldn't cut costs, I'd just charge more !!!

Humour aside, it's a good question, Olga.

You know what my hair looks like, so I could do without the shower cap, for sure.

I'd also blow off the free drinks at the Captain's cocktail party. Just let the guy stand in a public area for handshakes and photos and not call it a cocktail party. We are all adults and can find a drink in any one of a number of places.

I would also eliminate those nasty hairdryers in the heads. I know what YOUR hair looks like, and neither of us could get the results we want with them.

I like my own shampoo, lotions, etc. but I do kind of like not having to carry soap around.

Change the sheets every two days, the pillowcases every day. (Some cruise lines already do this.)

This may require more thinking.

What I DO NOT like is charging extra for things, unless it's a specialty restaurant.

pamda
Old June 28th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Carnival is smartest - they give each cabin a bagful of trial size brand-name soaps, shampoos, razors, sunscreen, lozenges and the coupons to go with them if you want to buy more. Free for Carnival - good marketing, I liked the shampoo enough to buy it.

There must be a tremendous waste of food. Maybe more "cook to order" would cut back on the waste.

Air-conditioning is another. Does it need to be 60 degrees over the entire ship?

They could cut back on all the paper they shove under your door.
Old June 28th, 2001, 06:04 PM
bostongal

how about the disgusting chocolate on the pillows (NCL's are pretty awful)? I can live without the shower cap (it wouldn't fit over my head of long hair anyways). I agree with Olga - would love to have real brewed coffee with half & half instead....
Old June 28th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Lady Jag

The only logical place - in the Home Office Administrators salaries!!!!!! Their salaries go up while the cruise lines cut back.

If they won't part with their big, cushy salaries, then don't cut back at all and let us pay for what we are receiving! I'd rather pay a little more and have the cruise be all-inclusive than be nickle and dimed to death.
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Captain

On Ocean Princess last fall, we got so sick of all day long having them peddle one thing or another.

Sure, we knew we didn't have to buy anything we didn't want but IMO it got so irritating that there was constant pressure to go shop the flea market tables in front of the stores; if we wanted an after dinner drink in the dining room, they had the poor steward giving sales pitches for tacky bright colored souvenir glasses; at Horizon breakafast, the stewards passed the dinner menus so we could order our wine for dinner----we hadn't even had our coffee or juice---who knows what wine we'll want for dinner???!! What, were they afraid they'd run out of wine? Can't forget 15 bingo announcements!! Opportunities for dozens of photos... and on and on..

It bothered me to the point that I most likely would not sail Princess again unless I hear things have changed for the better.
Old June 29th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Admiral

-All we need is ONE really good midnight buffet.
-Lose the Captain's Cocktail Party altogether.
-Who needs cheap champagne from the atrium "waterfall" party. Lose it.
-Have prompt drink service on deck and in the dining room. I WANT to buy those drinks! Sell more, make more. The only time waiters seem to be around is when I don't want to buy a whole tray full of Bahama Mamas.
-Charge a fee to have deck chairs "held" for you. Not much profit in it, but will solve a big problem....
-Have essential stuff (like Bonine, toothpaste, sewing kit, etc) actually available in the gift shop. I'll pay whatever it costs not to have to pack it.
-Only take photos when ASKED to. They throw away thousands of dollars in wasted prints every cruise.
-Quit it with the cabin junk mail. Every day more crap to throw out. Art Auction this, spa special that... every one takes a full page of paper, and the same thing is listed in the activities sheet anyways, and announced over the PA.
Old June 29th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Palm Trees

Cruise Cynic, that is a great list. Wow, they could save so much money, we could almost go for free! lol, I'd give up any and all of those items on your list to have a great cup of coffee with cream or half and half.
Old June 29th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I know they make loads of money on the art auctions, but really, get them out of there.

But the REAL big thing that they could do to cut costs is get rid of all the liquor except JackD!!!!
Old June 29th, 2001, 07:27 PM
sailinglisa

Well CA, if they want to make money, they should keep everything EXCEPT the JD! lol