Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Braves Fans

Default port charges

Just wondering if anyone can give us any insight as to how port charges are configured. Is this a set price by the cruise line? We just found it odd that we cruised the caribbean last year and I think our port charges were around $150.00. This year on a cruise we're taking in September, they are around $183. Just wondered if port charges are different based on the TA or cruise line you use.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Jenny

Default Re: port charges

I believe they're actually based on the port. You could do 2 cruises with the same cruise line, same # of days, etc., but if you went to 2 different ports, chances are the port charges would be different.
Old June 28th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

The port charges also went up in the past few months
Old June 28th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Somebody else asked this a few days ago - and there is controversy surrounding port charges. Carnival just settled a big class-action lawsuit about alledged over-charging of customers for several years.

Many agents have asked why two ships form different cruise lines going to the same ports charge different amounts.

But basically, it is related to where the ship docks, but it is up to the cruise lines to calculate how much each customer will be charged. It isn't as straightforward as if the cruise line collected it for the respective port authority.

Some regions are much more expensive than others - Alaska and the Panama canal are relatively expensive while parts of the Caribbean (more competitive) are not.

They say a day in NYC costs a cruise line several $1000 per hour.
Old June 28th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Lady Jag

It is WAY too ambiguous and there needs to be some clear-cut regulation concerning port charges. The cruise lines have way too much freedom in deciding what their port charges will be for each cruise. It makes cruise passengers very confused when there are two ships going to the same ports and docking at the same places and yet, the cruise lines charge two totally different port charges. We need legislation to regulate this in some way.
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:56 PM
First Mate

Although Carnival is settling law suits, it just raised the 3 day port charges (out of L.A.) from $93.75 to $104.00.
Travel Agents have nothing to do with these costs. It comes strictly from the cruise lines.
Cher
Thurs. West Coast Chat Host
Old June 29th, 2001, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

From what I understand ( as we know, that's not much) port chges include more items than just the cost of the ship docking at port of call. I dont know exactly what items, but I'd guess costs of longshoreman loading the ship.. that sort of thing.
Think that's where the cruise lines can fudge a bit on adding to port chges.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor... who wish his cruise fare was included in everyone's port charges
Old June 29th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Captain

I think the port charges for 2 ships going to the same ports could vary by the length or tonage of both ships. I think I heard that they pay for (among many other things) the length of dock space they require as well as how long they are tied up.