Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Lady Jag

Default Where to find short coastal cruises?

Okay, we just got back from the Grand last month and we have the Radiance in 3 months, but then we have a HUGE span of 9 months without a cruise. I don't think I can last that long!!

I can't seem to find any of those short coastal 2-3 day cruises in the spring time listed on the cruise lines websites. Many ships reposition to Alaska in the spring and do short cruises, like from San Diego to San Francisco. One of those short ones would give us the chance to try out a new ship or different cruise line and would hold me over until our Adventure of the Seas cruise next July.

Does anyone know of any ships doing these short cruises or know where I can find info on them?

Thanks for the help. I'm addicted, I admit it.

Bobbie
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Where to find short coastal cruises?

Hey Bobbie...

We have an article about 3 to 5 day articles here:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/ship-features/quickgetaway.cfm>, but if you are thinking about re-positioning cruises keep in mind the Jones Act (actually called the Passenger Vessel Services Act) which prohibits any foreign flagged vessel from transporting passengers between 2 US ports.

This only applies to embarkation and disembarkation points, but it is the primary reason why cruise ships visiting Alaska leave from Vancouver. Most 3-4 day cruises go to either Ensenada Mexico, Nassau Bahamas, or Halifax Nova Scotia (by the way, the short 4 -5 day cruises from NY City on the big Carnival ships are a great way to slip in a quick break in the summer).

Basically, the only ships doing domestic coastal voyages are those of the American Classic Voyages company like the new small ship Cape May Light <http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/ship-features/CapeMay.cfm> or there is the Columbia Queen <http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/ship-features/col-queen.cfm> in the Pacific Northwest.
Old June 30th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Hi Lady Jag
I know what you mean and living in San Jose Ca those short cruise seem to only come up to San Francisico if it part of an inagual cruise- I was lucky to cruise on the Spirit this May-- when it was making its way to Vancouver for the Alaska sailing season- if not the 3 and 4 day sailing are regular routes. Guess we have to wait for the new ships to arrive to take advantage of those Pacific Coast sailings
Cheers
April
Old June 30th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Lady Jag

I think April and I are looking for the same thing. For those of us in Calfiornia, you can only do the LA and San Diego based cruises so many times before even an addict gets tired of them. I was hoping to find a small section of a repositioning cruise along the coast of California.

I forgot all about the Jones Act, Paul. Thanks for reminding me of that rule and thanks for the link to the article. It was very interesting. The cruises out of NY sound very enticing! If airfare wasn't such a killer for 4 people, we'd be there in a heartbeat.
Old June 30th, 2001, 08:10 PM
sailinglisa

I read somewhere once about a cruise going up the Columbia river in the Pacific Northwest - just wish I could remember where I read it!
Old June 30th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Passenger

Lady Jag:

Try these:

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE - NORWEGIAN SKY - April 22 to April 28, 2002
6 days Departs from Ensenada, Mexico with stops in San Francisco, Victoria, British Columbia,
Seattle, Washington
http://cruises.orbitz.com/cruises/sh...909&c=34&v=139

Short cruises 2 days to 4 days on various ships
http://cruises.orbitz.com/cruises/cr...=36&submit.y=5

Terry
Old July 1st, 2001, 02:14 PM
Lady Jag

Terry - Thanks, the Sea's itinerary is what I was thinking about, but we need something shorter. We can't take the kids out of school for that many days, unfortunately. Wish the school district would change it's policies!
Old July 1st, 2001, 02:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Since Im living here in Phoenix now, but I still have an apartment in NYC, I keep an eye out for cheap airfare to NYC all the time. Just yesterday I saw $188 round-trip from Phoenix. LA might be even cheaper since its a more travelled route.

A friend of mine is booked on Infinity coming down the west coast, but I think the entire cruise starts in Vancouver includes Alaska, ands ends in San Diego.

You can always fly to Hawaii and do the Independence, Patriot or soon the Norwegian Sun (I think its the Sun, isn't it?).

But otherwise I COMPLETELY agree with you west coast choices are TOO limited. I just had a thought, since United States Line is a US company they could start a cruiser that visited all the West Cost cities - round-trip LA visiting San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver.
Old July 1st, 2001, 06:33 PM
Carole Dunham

Lady Jag,

Here is a link to a wonderful small ship line. If you click on destinations you will find three and four night cruises in California.

ttpp://www.cruisewest.com.

Carole