Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2001, 01:41 AM
Dale

Default The Off Switch

Long ago I discovered what I call the "off switch". When my golf obsessed husband starts giving his swing by swing, hole by hole description, I go into switch off mode. I really hear very little of what he says, but ocassionally check his facial expressions. If he looks happy I say "gee, that's great", if he looks sad I say "oh, bad luck". This has saved me hours of boredom, kept him happy and generally ensured our 27 years together will continue.

The other day he said "you are going to Alaska aren't you?" I was dumbfounded because I've talked of little else for the past few months. He told me he had been talking to someone who had just returned from an alaskan cruise on the "dam".
Which dam? I asked. Oh, I don't know, the "somethingdam" was his reply.
Did they enjoy it? I waited for all the details. Yes, he said, they said it was "good".
I told them you were going on a cruise on the "Vision", he said. He then smiled proudly in his "see, I do listen to you" way.

I have now added to my "things to do before you cruise" list. I will be leaving a large note on the fridge. Dear Ray, if you discover I am not here, I am on the MERCURY cruising the inside passage Alaska.

Seems he has discovered the off switch.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2001, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: The Off Switch

Anne uses the off switch with me whenever I talk about computers. In one ear and out the other. I wouldn't mind so much except that whenever she has a problem she asks me to fix it, but its often the same problem I have fixed for her a dozen times before -- but because the switch was off she doesn't remember hearing the answer.
Old July 3rd, 2001, 08:57 AM
Admiral

...I loved your posting. "Something 'dam'" is very understandable since ALL HAL ships end like that. I've used this technique with people who go on ... and on ... and on.

Unfortunately I also use it when my partner discusses computers. I'm simply unable to retain any detail about a computer. This, of course, is a handicap when a problem arises.

Anne Campbell
Old July 3rd, 2001, 09:42 AM
Reefshark

Yeah, I know about the off switch. We simply call it "tuning out." CruiseCam accuses me of it all the time [falsely, of course - ;o)].
Old July 3rd, 2001, 11:01 AM
Admiral

We call it "glaze mode."
Old July 3rd, 2001, 11:02 AM
Bensley's

Yes, one day I would like to go on one of those "dam" ships!
Women call it the OFF switch. Men call it selective hearing. They select what they want to hear and ignore the rest.
Divetex, I know better!
Old July 3rd, 2001, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mrs Kuki complains that I don't listen to her too.. at least I think that's what she said <G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 3rd, 2001, 01:01 PM
Admiral

It's the earplug thing, Kuki !!!

Remember, you dished about that.

pamda