Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Captain

Default How much information?

We are leaving soon for our eagerly awaited cruise on Maasdam and have received e-mails from several people who will be on this cruise with us...they didn't know which exact date we would be on but I had posted (on another bb) that we had an "upcoming cruise").

My question is: Given the "perils" of the internet world, when you correspond with future fellow cruisers, do you feel uneasy giving too much personal information? Do you tell them your "real names" and cabin number?

Are you cautious about your identity?
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:01 AM
SuzieQ

Default Re: How much information?

I'm willing to use my real first name, but I never give out my cabin number.

Pick a day, time and public area...Java Cafe, Piano Bar, Ocean Bar are smaller and make it easy to spot BB friends.

This way, everyone feels safe. It's also a safety net in case you might not be able to find common ground with cruise aquaintences. They won't be knocking on your cabin door every day.

I'm probably very nieve, but I really feel that the people on the cruise boards are who they say they are. Who but a genuine cruiser could possibly have the same passion and excitement about cruising?
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Bensley's

If you are not sure what to do, then arrange to meet them in one of the lounges at a certain time and date. If things don't click, you haven't given out your cabin number. I would also stick to first names till you are comfortable.
Once you feel good about the people, then you will instinctively know how much info you should give out. If the first meeting is so-so, then arrange another on another night.
:o)
Have a great cruise. Wish I was going. It will be a while before we have anything booked again. Got things to take care of first.
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There's not a whole lot of place on the Internet I'd trust meeting people, and exchanging real life info. However, the cruise boards truly seem different! I think it's because cruiser's are a special breed. Aside from the vacation/relaxation everyone looks forward to, I think a sizeable majority of cruisers LOVE meeting their fellow cruisers. Social life has always been one of the important aspects of cruising. Now the Internet simply allows us to meet each other ahead of time.
For the 6 1/2 years I've been using the net to meet people on my cruises, I've made nothing but great friends! Yet to meet and axe murderer... I think one butcher maybe, and a produce manager <G>
On cruises where we're found a sizable # of folks, I've arranged pre cruise live chats, and e-mail exchanges. Then, for those who feel comfortable enough to do supply info, I produce an onboard ph. directory. First names and cabin #s.
Works GREAT.. especially on holiday cruises where people are cruising with kids.

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Hi, 7 ...

I'd err on the side of caution. You're going to be calling yourselves by your board names anyway !!!

Meeting in a "neutral" spot is a good idea. You might not want to give EVERYONE your cabin number, just those with whom you really hit it off and might want to go adventuring or share a special dinner.

Most all, have fun !!!

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess
Old July 4th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Admiral

This advice coming from the person that invited TOTAL STRANGERS to HER HOUSE????? ! Pamda...I counted...remember....we had only personally met 13-15 of the 37 ahead of time! Good thing that cruisers (and Phalmingos) are a special breed. Mgram
Old July 4th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Audrey Belcher

I have posted a few times about our cruise to Alaska July 7 on Dawn and even with the ship being sold out noone on the BB are going to that cruise. We met some very nice people last year on ourJune cruise on the Century. One of the women thought one of the men was going to be a women. This year we will have to meet people on our own.
Old July 4th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Captain

Thanks so much for your comments. In the past, we have met "bb buddies" on board the ships and have totally enjoyed almost all of them. In the instances before those cruises when I knew fellow posters would be aboard, I was very scant in sharing personal info prior to the cruise and when we finally met the people I had been so cautious with, I felt a little foolish. Definitely no ax murderers! lol

And now, here I go again....still hesitant to give my cabin number and "real name"! Guess there's just no hope for me!
Old July 4th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am known for being non-suspicious. I enojoy meeting new people and I believe 99% of the people I meet I can trust. Of course I am pretty tolerant, and also not afraid to tell people NOT to call before 8:00 or after 10:00 (I go to sleep early).

Just take a look at Kuki's pics and you will see dozens of people who met before and aboard the ships. It just makes cruising more fun and more memorable to meet new people. That's why we do it.
Old July 4th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Being a solo traveler and female, I'm probably even more wary..I don't have a problem giving out my first name, but not my cabin number. On my last cruise, there were quite a few cruisers from another chat board that we all arranged via the board to meet at a certain time and place on the ship. It turned out great and it was fun to meet everyone and put faces to the screennames.
Old July 4th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Captain

Thanks Paul. I'm very social and, like you, really enjoy meeting new people and making new friends.
Throughout our years of cruising, we've met and become friends with many folks from around the world, literally....still in contact with many and have had the opportunity to see some again. Just got an e-mail from Holland today and from Indonesia yesterday.

That isn't what I'm referring to. What I'm trying to express is my reluctance to tell folks I e-mail with prior to a cruise too much about us. When I actually meet people "live and in person", I'm usually a pretty good judge of people and can tell fairly fast if this is a person I wish to see more of.

On the internet, it's alot harder to know "with whom you are speaking"!

I was just wondering how others feel so comfortable about sharing alot of information without knowing who is on the other end of the keyboard..
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Admiral

7 ...

I wrote a lot about this in the past when Internet security was my writing focus. The ASSUMPTION that the person on the other side of the screen is "just like us" is comfortable.

Most of us are uncomfortable with being suspicious of "one of us".

Not a pretty thought, but if I were a really bad guy, I'd be very interested in cruise boards. Here are people who have the money to go on expensive vacations .. I'd sure like to know when they are going to be away so I could sift through their belongings at my leisure.

We've always been told never to tell anyone but the post office and the next-door neighbors when we're going to be away. Now we can -- and do -- tell the entire world on the Internet. With software like "Sneeker" anybody can track down your home address from your public postings.

Then, with the dandy GPS software currently available, the bad guys can get an almost perfect set of directions to your home.

Something to think about.

pamda
Old July 5th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Captain

Pamda....That does seem to be the issue !!!

That's why we always have a much trusted HOUSESITTER....and an alarm system that includes everything short of claymore (sp) mines on the front lawn.
Old July 5th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Bensley's

Also, lights on timers and the police department will do security checks on your home while you are gone. They have timers now that will switch on and off, randomly so no pattern is apparant.
If you don't have a yard/driveway fenced in like we do, and your vehicle is not going to be there, have a neighbor use your driveway while you are gone, so at least a car is seen coming and going.
Having two Great Danes in the yard really helps too! They are intimidating just to SEE much less when they bark.
Zeus, our puppy (just turned a year old) weighs over 175 lbs now. (no typo)
Oreo is about 150 lbs. She is 5 years old.
Zeus will grow for another year. He is jet black except his toes and a white pattern on his chest. We have a four foot fence that surrounds the house, yard, driveway, etc. ... so this is rather intimidating for someone to come up to a fence that the dog can practically look over without getting up on his hind legs!
No, they have never jumped over. Yes, it keeps ALL salesmen away!

Also setting your answering machine to two or three rings. Have your mail stopped and newspapers too! Cut your grass the day before you leave so it is fresh and not too grown out before your return.