Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Victory Thoughts

Just back last night from the Victory, here are some of my thoughts. This was my 42nd cruise.

-the ship is kept in great shape, service in the dining rooms, bars, lido was good.

-food was very good to excellent.

-the cabins were 'noisy' and let me clarify - You could hear EVERYTHING in the halls, heard nothing between the rooms. Balcony doors slam (have no mechanism to help them close slowly)

-Carnival has given a new meaning to 'congestion', formal night every set of steps in the atrium were closed for picture taking (didn't stop me from using them), I counted 8 photogrphers in the atrium for photo ops. Strolling down Neptunes way each evening, figure at least 3 photographers.

-level 4 of the atrium is the photo display/sale and really jams up.

-shows were very good.

-lots of kids, disco was 'teen' until 11:30 and then they were told to leave and go to the Ionian bar and every evening but the last, this happened. at 1:00 am there were still loads of underage kids in disco and security just stood there. Saw them break glassware on the floor and even break one of the sofas.

-Mediterranean restaurant (buffet on lido) was good, but VERY and I mean VERY long lines.

-cool weather on sea days (I lazed on balcony), lovely sunny/windy day in St. John, around 65 degrees. Around 70 in Halifax with sun. Lovely days.

Just a few quick ones, enjoyed the trip very much, but with a full ship, it was very congested. Carnival has crammed almost 1000 more people (at full capacity) on this class ship than Princess has on the Grand class (about 6,000 tons larger, less max capacity).
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Victory Thoughts

Fourty how many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I have a lot of catching up to do.
Old July 6th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Admiral

CA...sounds identical to our Truimph experience....not awful, but I sure wouldn't want 2 weeks of it....good for a short getaway. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us....and welcome back....pamda and I missed you! Mgram
Old July 6th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Familiar Face

Having been on both the Triumph and the Destiny for Canadian itineraries, this sounded very much like deja vu all over again. Thanks for sharing!
Old July 6th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Passenger

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your trip to Halifax and Nova Scotia. Will email you with a few questions. - herb
Old July 6th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Salsa

That's what I don't like about the Carnival Destiny class ships... when they are booked full capacity, it is way too crowded.. tha's what I exprienced last February on a Eastern Caribbean cruise. My Canada cruise last June was much better. We also avoided the pool area choosing to spend time on the side decks - level 3 - we were by ourselves!
Elise
Old July 6th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Same experience here...

The breakfast buffet is especially bad because they make the omelettes right in the buffet line. I have seen it backed up by 20 people while one person waits for an omelette and the person behind her is TOO DUMB to go around her! Maybe this belongs in cruise gripes, but why wouldn't someone just walk around?

Also - I know about the noise thing, too. You can hear the slot machines binging banging and bonging three decks away.

But I did enjoy the short trip to Halifax, just the right length for a quick and easy (from NYC) getaway.
Old July 6th, 2001, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Welcome back CA. Glad to hear you had a good trip but I also would get frustrated with the large crowds. I still plan on giving Carnival a chance one day, it sounds like they do some things pretty good, and would be a more pleasant experience if they didn't pack the ships full.

Doug
Old July 6th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Admiral

And how were the mashed potatoes ?
April
Old July 7th, 2001, 01:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Welcome back CA.. one post saying I'm back, another saying u got your cabin assignment. Even I'm jealous.

I got my cabin assignment too. Unfortunately it's my bedroom <G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 7th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Lady Jag

Welcome back, CA. Boy, am I glad I read this post! We were thinking about a Victory cruise. Don't think we'd like the congestion or crowds. I'm so glad I read it!! Thanks for your frank and honest opinions everyone!