Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2001, 11:33 PM
Sue & Bill

Default Full Suite Lurkers!!!

I knew all along that there were many, many of you out there lovin' those full suites the same as I do and finally you have come forward. Too bad the post about the 'suite preference' got moved to the second page. We cruise in full suites for the roomy area and large balcony. We love the 'extras'. The last thing I want to have is someone always 'standing by' to assist me. The less we see of the room steward, the better. The best steward is the one you see when you want to see them. Otherwise they do their job and remain ready via pager to answer our smallest needs. Here we are, back full circle, talking about our individual preferences on cruising. I guess that is what is so darn nice about having so many choices. What is right for the individual. I wouldn't do a Carnival, but I think it is perfect for someone who wants the 'glitz'. I wouldn't do Crystal, or other so-called luxury cruises, because I am just a plain person and am very sure I would not fit in with the Crystal Clientel. Princess is my 'cruise line of choice'. I sail on Regal whenever possible. I like the smaller ship and I personally think that Regal Princess has an ambiance like no other ship in the fleet. And, as another poster so nicely said, they do not tell people in which room they are sailing. I thought it was just us that felt that way. But it seems that when you mention what room you are sailing in, people just seem to look at you like you are 'snooty'. We have found that it is best to just keep our room number to ourselves. We have had a party or two in our suite, but most of the time we just relish in the elegance for which we have paid. After reading many, many posts I find that it is OK to say you are sailing in a full suite. Not on board the ship, but at least on the message boards. Maybe it is time for the full suite passengers to finally 'come forward' and be heard. I have had my fill of bargain hunting posts.....Sail Long, Laugh Often and Love Much........
Bon Voyage....
Sue.......
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Full Suite Lurkers!!!

Sue...

This is an interesting post. You are blessed in that you are able to enjoy the suite life. I would be interested in hearing your comparisons of suites on different cruise lines - who has the best service and the best value for money.

I know the suites Holland America are beautiful and not outrageously expensive. Crystal, I agree with you. The service is outstanding, but the ships are kind of boring, and they are very expensive.

I have seen the mini-suites on the "Grand-class" Princess ships and they are nice but not overwhelming. I haven't seen Regal. Have you tried Celebrity?
Old July 10th, 2001, 01:19 PM
2B@sea

Sue,

I agree with one point you made. I've had my fill of bargain hunting posts. I've had my fill of bargain hunting period. I used to be like that, always looking for the "best" deal. It was more like a game to see just how low I could go & it was fun for awhile. I paid my dues in college with Carnival. Now I want something different. And, a suite is just fine for my needs. Not that I want to pay more for something than its worth. But, a vacation should be relaxing & we all need to enjoy ourselves sometime.

There are some lines I won't sail because I don't like them, glitz has its place, but not in my sight line. While I haven't sailed the luxury lines, I'm not opposed to it, my check book is. When that changes, I'll probably run straight to the line many have been discussing on this board. And, I won't feel out of place one bit in my DKNY next to someone else's Channel. Though I wouldn't mind someone peeling a grape for me just once! . For now, I'll stick with my preminum line of choice.

People have different tastes & needs. Personally, I spend more time in my cabin than anywhere else while on a cruise. That means it must be comfortable & it must have a roomy balcony. I worked my from an inside upper/lower next to the anchor to the larger balcony cabins. Now, I'm ready to join the suite life and have booked one for my next cruise. Geez, who wants to vacation in a closet if they don't have to? It costs a little more, but you get what you pay for. Hope I enjoy it.

I laugh at the posts where people tell first timers that they only sleep in their cabin so it doesn't matter where it is or how small it is. That's just not true. So far, no one has ever asked me what cabin I was in or the deck. And, I can't recall any of my tablemates ever bringing it up. Though I have seen some over the top showing off in the dining room with men ordering expensive wine and women wearing a bit too much CZ. Who cares, if it makes them feel better so they enjoy their cruise more, I say go for it.
Old July 10th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Lady Jag

I couldn't agree with you more, Sue & Bill. We never mention that we stay in suites on the ship, but I will mention it on the board if it pertains to a particular question. We also feel very comfortable with Princess, but are willing to try RCI just to see their beautiful ships.

We prefer the bigger ships because we have two sons (9 & 11 yrs.) that we have to consider. They like the video games and activities that are offered on the big ships.

There is a certain element of "suite envy" - you see it in some people's faces when they ask what category cabin you have and you tell them. That's okay, but I don't like the guilt trips some of them try to place on us. They don't realize how hard my husband works or how many hours, week after week, year after year. Yes, we cruise more than some, but not as much as others. I guess for these people, I am saying: "Don't judge a passenger by its cabin." :o)
Old July 10th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, no one should ever judge anyone period especially because of the type of cabin they are staying in. You just never know.....on my last cruise, I met a couple who were staying in the highest category suite (I was in the lowest cat) They were some of the most personable, sincere and down to earth people I met on that cruise. I'm not at the point (yet) that I can afford a suite. I'm still working my way up (balcony is next!) and for me, hearing about all of your wonderful experiences staying in a suite gives me a goal to work towards! So no, no one will get suite envy from me, I will probably be the one bombarding you with questions about your cabin!
Old July 10th, 2001, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Hi,

It is possible that some people are actually envious of you (in a good way) verses thinking that you are "snooty"?

I would love to sail in a suite some day but I am really far off from that moment. I just graduated to the "balcony cabin" from several inside cabins.

I have to admit I am envious/jealous of people who are able to have suites but I would not hold it against them. For as far as I know they may have saved for 10 years for that cabin while I have been able to cruise once a year in less expensive cabins.

Maybe one day you will see me in a suite .. . . If anyone from RCCL or Princess sees this - feel free to upgrade me .

THeresa
Old July 11th, 2001, 12:46 AM
Lady Jag

Theresa - OL :o)
Old July 12th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Candy

Hello Im Candy... and Im a suite-a-holic.. Not afraid to admit it.. **
Old July 12th, 2001, 08:56 AM
First Mate

"I laugh at the posts where people tell first timers that they only sleep in their cabin so it doesn't matter where it is or how small it is. That's just not true. "

I have to respectfully disagree. I've only been on two cruises, one inside cabin and one with a window, but I spent very little time in my cabin. And when I was in there, it was for mainly sleeping/napping, showering, etc. and I found the cabins to be adequate. Maybe when you've cruised a lot more, the novelty wears off and you spend more time in your room relaxing? I think if everybody had the choice, they would choose a suite, but if people are on a tighter budger, I don't think a smaller cabin diminishes the cruise experience.