Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2001, 01:15 AM
Traci

Default geez, you are all hard to find!

Hello, everyone that I was getting to know since I booked my cruise earlier this year. I was not able to post for awhile to any of the boards because of all the stuff that was going on in my life. Then when I did start posting again, I was so surprised that, for the most part, NO ONE responded to my posts. Especially because I was saying that I hadn't posted for awhile because my father has been very ill and almost died. Now a few people did respond so I want to thank them for posting and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings who did post to me or express nice thoughts for my dad. I was just so surprised and couldn't understand. I kept wondering if I annoyed someone but knew that couldn't be true since I hadn't even been posting. I don't mean to sound insecure, but honestly, there was such a drop in responses to me that I couldn't help but notice. And I didn't see a lot of familiar names either (saw them here tonight).

Anyway, I did a little searching and discovered what had happened. I'm sorry that all of this happened, but I am glad to find everyone that had been so helpful to me in the past and so nice to me. I should have known when I suddenly found two more people going on my cruise on Cruisemates today that something must have happened over here and people were coming over and cruising here!

Well, I will try to keep this short. My dad (he's 79) had a heart attack on May 26 and high-risk open heart surgery on June 6. He has had a lot of complications, including breathing problems that required him to go back on the ventilator for a time, going into ventricular fibrillation and having to be defibrillated, and not being able to eat or drink for almost a month, and is still in the hospital. He may be leaving for a rehab facility tomorrow, which is great news (means he's getting better). Hopefully (and God willing), he is on his way to recovery. I was really worried about leaving on the cruise but it seems like he is going to get better and I will take international calling cards with me (my parents don't have a computer or e-mail) since my cell phone doesn't have long distance service (expensive roaming charges; may not have time to buy a new one with long distance service by Saturday).

As for the cruise, we leave this Saturday for our week on the Explorer! I can't believe it's here. We can hardly wait. We booked in January and have been waiting patiently for this day. Now I wish I had another week to prepare! I have two big deadlines for clients and mountains of stuff to do. I'm going to be a crazy fool by Saturday! I have to get some shopping in too for some clothes and a new bathing suit. Actually, everyone in our family needs clothes for this cruise. That's about my only question right now: How do I decide what to take? What clothes do we need? For those who don't know me (or forgot since I didn't post for too long), it is me, my husband, our 13-year-old daughter (who can't wait for the teen program), and our 4-year-old son. If anyone can help shed some light on this for me, it would help.

Well, again, I am so glad I found everyone and it wasn't just me. Look forward to posting more here. I hadn't as much in the past but will now. Also sorry I missed the phrolic. It sounds like it was great and I don't live that far from where it was (I don't think so anyway). I must be hooked on cruising again already (1st cruise was in September 1985 and this is only my second cruise - yes, it's been a lot of years) because I'm already searching sites and thinking about the next cruise and I haven't even had this one yet! Thanks to all!

Take care and happy cruising!
Traci
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: geez, you are all hard to find!

Traci, to help with clothing/shopping, we'll need to know where you're cruising. Caribbean? Alaska? Europe? ....and here's hoping your dad continues to improve.
Old July 10th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Mary Lou

Default Re: geez, you are all hard to find!

Traci:
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's health problems....sure sounds like you need this cruise. Try to relax and really enjoy your week.
Don't over pack.......that is something I am SO quilty of. Always end up bringing clothes home that I did not wear.
Have a great trip.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old July 10th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Traci

Default Where I am going

Good morning! Sorry about that, Divetex. I am going to the Eastern Caribbean. Ports are Nassau, San Juan, and St. Thomas. I have a lot of business casual clothes for when I go to client's offices. Would they work for smart casual or do I need to be less officelike? How much of each type of outfit do I bring? Like you said, Mary Lou, I don't want to overpack and oh, I am also so guilty of that. And every outfit seems to take a different pair of shoes! What should my 13-year-old daughter wear to the teen programs? I need to get her a few things. What should I get her for the formal nights? She's too young for proms and homecoming dances yet so we don't have any dresses like that. I can buy her something but I didn't really want to buy an expensive formal gown for a 13-year-old (unless I have to). Does my 4-year-old son have to wear a suit? Anyway, you guys get the idea, I'm sure. I need to make a list and figure out what I need to buy and honestly I don't know where to start. Any help you can offer would be great.

Thanks again (5 days and counting)!
Traci
Old July 10th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Where I am going

Have a great time and relax and enjoy....we'll be looking for you back here with a full report!
Old July 10th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

I understand what you are felling about your Dad. I know My Dad's
very special to me. He has always been someone I can look up to.
I sorry he has been Ill, The healing Is slow and hard, but you hang In there.
Enjoy that much needing vacation. I will try hard to think of how beautiful
the ocean looks and the white sandy beach, the feel or the sun on your..............
Never mind If I help you shop and pack your bags can I go???????????

Have a great trip.
Old July 10th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Traci...glad to hear that your Dad has improved. He has really had an awful time of it.

You will find most of us here and there...but things are very different. Glad you caught up!

Mgram
Old July 10th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Traci - a nice "church dress" for your daughter will be fine. For the teen activities? Shorts, shorts, shorts. No suit for your son. Absolutely unnecessary. For yourself? Your business casual will be fine, although you might want to relax a bit. You can get by with a sundress and sandals, if you want. Remember, you're on vacation. Try to coordinate your outfits so you can mix and match instead of having to wear different things every day. It'll cut down on your packing. Like they say, "try to 'pre-pack,' and then take half the clothes out and hang them back in your closet. Fill that empty space with money." Don't go out and spend a lot of unnecessary $$$ on clothes just for this cruise....unless you want to, of course.
Old July 10th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Bensley's

Sorry to hear about your dad. Those can be very trying times. Hang in there. We share in your pain and will keep him in our prayers.
That cruise will do all of you good.
Enjoy and relax!
Old July 10th, 2001, 10:20 AM
sue/seamom

I can help with the four year old son. Went to Sears and found a cute shirt/pant/tie/vest outfit in the post Christmas sales and he looked like a million! See him in the photo gallery under Sea(mom's) Princess. He never looked out of place and a jacket wouldn't have stayed on for more than five minutes anyway. He actually got compliments. If there is anything I can help out with in the boy department, let me know. Be pleased to answer any kid stuff. I have some notes ready to send (keep intending to make a kid review!) from others I've sent info to.

Sorry you felt so bad about lack of replies....it is a nice place to get support but we're all still around!
Old July 10th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Hi, Traci ...

Here's an idea. Don't pack ANYTHING and view the trip as a "shopportunity" ??

Put the 4 YO in what he'd wear to a birthday party and let Miss 13 pick out a cute sundress or skirt and top. Of course, 13 is past the age when MOM can decided upon clothes !!! My daughter was so wretched that she went shopping with a friend and the friend's mom. I think the mom took a lot of Valium.

I'm happy to hear that your dad is on the mend. Enjoy your vacation!

pamda
Old July 10th, 2001, 11:24 AM
First Mate

glad you're Dad is on the mend ... and have a wonderful trip!!

there's a great topic in cruisecritic.com, under Cruise Discussion Topics in Cruise Fashions that will help a lot with your shopping/fashions!!

enjoy!

joanne
Old July 10th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Maverick

Hi Traci
Sorry to hear about you dad and I'm happy to see he's on the mend. Hope you have a great cruise., we will all be waiting for your report
Have a good one
Maverick
Old July 10th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Traci--please dont rush you dad out of the hospital-- I hope your getting a second opinion-- dont want to spoil your cruise-- I lost my dad that way-- but it was his time to go and he went out with great dignity. Sorry I dont mean to upset anyone--
I dont think you'd go if you didnt feel that he was doing better-
You have probabley earn a well deserved cruise and then some. Please let us know how everything is when you get back
Thought and prayers all around
Apri;
Old July 10th, 2001, 09:55 PM
susancruzs

Thinking of you and can relate to your situation. Do enjoy your cruise and try not to overpack, easier said than done. Take some flowery print blouses, a few pairs of slacks, maybe a flowery gauzy type lightweight dress, a formal outfit and then your casual stuff! Most people don't realize a lot of the clothes they already have is just fine but then, of course, you don't get the shopping in! Enjoy, you deserve this trip!