Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2001, 11:42 AM
CruzinTeen

Default False advertisment

My grandparents had the Grand Suite on the Golden Princess when we sailed last week. In the Princess brochure it advertises that the suite has a full Jacuzzi on the balcony and a fireplace inside. The lack of these things in the room didn't make or break the cruise for them ... they were just a little disappointed. My mother is planning on calling Princess and complaining, but will she really accomplish anything?
-CT
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: False advertisment

If It were me -at least I would feel better knowing that someone knew I was unhappy-- maybe your mom should have said something on the ship--I'm sure they would have a copy of the brochure and and she could have pointed out the description-- I'd really be mad if that was one of the reason I book the cabin- to use the jacuzzi and fireplace-- I wonder what responce the cruise lines will give--keep us posted.
Old July 12th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Admiral

I'd also write a letter about it, nothing else, you may get a credit on your next cruise.

Did you take pictures of the Grand Suite, be sure to post them in the photo galleries, would love to see them!
Old July 12th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Definitely WRITE A LETTER so there is a paper trail.

I can't imagine a fireplace on a cruise ship, for safety reasons. Maybe it's a fake one?

AS CA says, maybe there might be a nice credit for the next cruise ???

pamda
Old July 12th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to abbymac Send a message via MSN to abbymac Send a message via Yahoo to abbymac

My Princess brochure describes the Grand Suite as : " Queen-size bed. Separate sitting room with sofa bed and fireplace. Private balcony. Hot tub accessed from bedroom and balcony. Three televisions. Refrigerator and wet bar. Walk-in closet. Bath with tub and shower."

Are you saying that there is NO fireplace and NO hot tub? If so, why hasn't this discrepancy come out before? Obviously others have stayed in this suite - and presumably they also read the brochure.

This would be amazingly false advertisement if those features don't actually exist. I am amazed, given Princess' reputation.

This just doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps your grandparents were in the Owners Suite instead (no hot tub or fireplace)?

I am not questioning your veracity....I just find this very difficult to believe....

abby
Old July 12th, 2001, 12:56 PM
First Mate

I always go over these things with my clients. Although I know there is a difference between the Golden Grand Suite and Grand, Grand Suite. They are not the same and in the Caribbean Brochure they have the same Information. As if they were alike. Not True. This is what is misleading. To bad the Agent did not make them aware of this fact.
Michael
Old July 12th, 2001, 01:00 PM
CruzinTeen

No ... this was the "Grand suite" It had double doors, said "Grand suite" on the door and had everything else that was listed about Grand suite in the brochure. We did ask a few people on the ship, but got the "we will look into it"response. Could someone give me the best E-mail address to E-mail Princess about this? Like I said, it didn't ruin the vacation, but we were very disappointed.

-CT
Old July 12th, 2001, 02:31 PM
First Mate

CT,
Work with your Travel Agent to send a letter to Princess. Email can be deleted by anyone. A letter on the other hand is different.

Michael
Old July 12th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hi Cruzin..

Mike Sinn is an great agent who specializes in Princess, or I suggest you contact the CruiseMates consumer affairs editor Tim Rubacky at:

timrubacky@cruisemates.com

I also cannot imagine a real fireplace anywhere on a cruiseship - it isn't allowed at all, even in the public rooms. But I have seen fake ones. What a shame the brochure appears to be incorrect, it isn't like Princess to be wrong like that.
Old July 12th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Hi, Michael ...

Nope, e-mail can't be deleted by anyone. It's still there. Ollie North found it out the hard way.

"Say it with flowers, say it with mink, but never, never, say it in ink." That goes for the Internet, too.

pamda
Old July 12th, 2001, 07:51 PM
First Mate

Pamda,
thanks for your post!!

Michael
Old July 12th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Michael ...

I think the credit line goes to Dorothy Parker. Not me.

pamda
Old July 12th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Lady Jag

Tell them good luck with it, CT. We wrote to Nina Kass, Senior VP of Customer Service at Princess about the lack of butlers when they had 2 full color pages advertising this in the brochure that we booked from. Princess cancelled the butlers the week before our second cruise on the Grand. The letter didn't do any good. We didn't get a shipboard credit or even an "I'm sorry". We did receive a personal phone call from Ms. Kass's secretary though. All she did was explain that they had the right to make these changes and there wasn't anything they could do for us.

Like you said, it definitely didn't make or break our cruise. We had a butler before and he was terrible. We were just hoping to receive an ammenity we paid for and that was clearly advertised. I understand your grandparents frustration and disappointment.

Princess really needs to be better about their cabin explanations. I like the way Celebrity explains their cabin ammenities and square footage plainly in their brochures.

p.s. - Nice to see you over here on this board!
Old July 13th, 2001, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Bobbie ...

I think the industry is in a state of flux (yes, I checked that spelling four times) right now and all the lines are scrambling and making mistakes along the way.

All of us as cruisers need to raise our awareness and our interaction about what we expect, rather than just counting on "how it used to be." TAs don't cruise as frequently as they would probably like to do and should count on the cruising population to help them out a bit. I like to think that the cruiselines, as proven by the T-pool thing on Celebrity's Millie class ships, listen.

But you have to get the attention of the Big Dogs before anything will happen.

pamda
Old July 13th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to abbymac Send a message via MSN to abbymac Send a message via Yahoo to abbymac

This case isn't about a cruise line altering the "amenities" available to passengers, e.g., cancelling butler service. They do retain the right to do that in their brochures (even though it could be argued that they owe passengers some sort of compensation/discount for eliminating something they have heavily marketed in the past as a way of inducing passengers...).

This case involves physical properties of the ship that allegedly don't even exist. All of the Princess brochures, their own website, and the descriptions of their large cruise ships given to all TAs say the same thing....The Grand, The Golden and the Star (to be launched next year) ALL have a fireplace and hottub in the Grand Suite. If they don't then this is clearly false advertising. This isn't something they 'reserve the right to change' since they never existed. These are blatantly false statements.

I am really surprised if this has happened. The truth or falsity of the descriptions of the suites are so easily verified or proven. It just doesn't comport with my understanding of the Princess organization.....and I am shocked that this matter hasn't come out before this......

abby