Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Packing Booze and Sodas onboard

How many of us carry along our favorite liquor, wine, and sodas when we go cruising?
I think there are good arguements to be made for both sides in whether we should be allowed to or not.
Anyone agree with the cruise lines position on bringing your own?

While it's a bit different.. I own a small hotel, with a big bar on the premises. Our guests are certainly welcome to take any form of libation they choose to their rooms. However, I'd certainly have an objection if they came wandering into the tavern with a cooler cup that was mixed in their room.

By the way, I have to admit I'm a guilty party. I almost always bring along a BUNCH of my favorite caffeine free Diet Coke. My theory is, I buy enough BBCs and Creamscicles during the cruise to make up for it .. lol

Regards,
Kuki
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Packing Booze and Sodas onboard

I usually carry a flask in my carry-on and pack miniatures in the suitcase for in-room consumption.
Old July 15th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Hi,

We carry caffene free diet Pepsi on board with us, since you can't get it on any ship or probably in any port. If we are cruising on RCI, we don't bother, since they serve free diet coke in the dining room.

Paul B
Old July 15th, 2001, 02:24 PM
JimG

We always blatently carry on a 12 pack of diet Pepsi and have never been questioned. On the Lines that allow it, we carry on a 750ml bottle (hooray for HAL), on those that don't there's a VERY carefully packed bottle in the checked luggage. Not many lines even allow a ship store bottle in your cabin prior to the last night anymore. What about personal choice/ prepaid tipping schemes. Could this end up with your room steward turning you in because he's no longer waiting until the end of the cruise for your decision on a tip?
Old July 15th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Admiral

I'm working a cruisin' and boozin' story right now. Someday it may get finished. (A lot of research is required.)

Carnival seems to have the toughest policies (immediate confiscation of personal spirits) but I burned an entire roll of film while watching Carnival passengers carry on duty-free in Cozumel without apparent incident.

A picture IS worth a thousand words.

The funniest response I had was from Disney. They suggest that you put your personal stock in your carryon so it doesn't get broken. DISNEY?

My take is that the more important liquor revenues are to a cruise line, the more likely they are to tell passengers NO !!!

Yes, we carry stuff on. For international sailings, it's often from the DFS at the airport in a cardboard carton that clearly indicates what's in it. Never had a problem. Carrying cigarettes into Singapore was a MUCH bigger problem.

On the Millie cruise I was wandering around taking photos in the DFS and asked about buy now, drink soon. Previously, several of our co-sailors on Millie walked on board in Ft. Lauderdale with booty from the pier-side DFS and were not challenged in any way. We've had the same experience both on Celebrity and HAL in FLL.

The clerk on Millie said we could just buy it and take it to our cabin because it was such a pain to get staff to deliver all the stuff on the last night out.

The last time we had a DFS shop on board hold spirits until the night before was about five or six years ago. It seems that the policies don't comport with the practices.

We have purchased without problem for immediate consumption on HAL, Celebrity, Radisson, and RCI over the last few years. Some of the smaller ships don't have DFS outlets.

I wouldn't walk into Kuki's tavern with a room-done drink. It's just bad taste. And I agree with Kuki on the issue.

So long as you don't show up at the gangway with 11 cases of Coors Light on a hand truck, discretion rules the day.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruises Editor
Old July 15th, 2001, 03:50 PM
2B@sea

I don't know about this one. If there are certain types of beverages that one knows (s)he can't get on board, I see nothing wrong with packing them for consumption. (Someone mentioned the caffiene free diet pepsi) Or a particularly special vintage of wine for the dining room that isn't carried in the cellar. But, I have seen people whip out a bottle of Kendall Jackson, pay the corkage fee, and drink up. That seems a bit tasteless to me. I guess the question is, "would you do it at a fancy restaurant in your home town where everyone knows you"? If the answer is no, then think twice before doing it on the ship. I only drink soy milk & for awhile none of the mass lines carried it. I always checked with Ship's Services and was told that I'd need to bring the amount I needed on board for the cruise and either store it in the frig in my cabin or take it to the designated person so the kitchen could take care of it for me. They also suggested that I bring single serving cartons for breakfast cereal to take to the dining room or lido & that if I wanted it in my lattes etc, to take it to the bar. Since then, my line carries it for passenger consumption & I have no need to bring it with me. (Whew) For parents traveling with many children, sodas can be expensive if they don't monitor the amount their kids drink. So, I don't object to a six pack or case decretly packed and stored in the room. Other than that, I think people should pay the price for drinks served on board or not expect to drink them. But, Pamda has shown, people will do as they please.
Old July 15th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Lady Jag

I can definitely understand why the cruise lines don't appreciate personal booze brought onboard. It's similar to a policy at many movie theatres: "No outside food or drinks allowed.". They own the business, so they have the right to make the rules. Do I like it? No, but they are there to make money.

My husband used to have customers all the time that would buy tires for their cars elsewhere and then ask his store to mount them for free. I will never forget his clever response: "You don't bring your own steak into a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you, do you?"
Old July 15th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Where is your hotel Kuki?
If the price is right, I always use the Minibar.
I find it not fair if the rates from the minibar are higher than the bar or restaurant.
Gitte
Old July 15th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Admiral

When I boarded the Carnival Spirit I had in San Francisco I had brought a couple of bottles of wine as a gift for Heaher BC- my offical tour guide for Victioria -- it was wrapped up with a couple of other gifts-- it was checked slightly-- you can bring wine and champagne aboard but no other liquor-- as stated in the brochure. I think they checked because I carried it on-- and it showed up when it went through the scanner. On Celebrity-- no scanner and I carried a bottle of rum on -no problem--
Good luck--
Cheers
April
Old July 15th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

It suprises me that so many folks put booze and sodas in the same category. Yes you must make some effort to smuggle your own booze on board. How much effort depends on the cruise line and maybe who the bosses and/or customs people standing duty. But sodas are OK to bring on any line. I'm fortunate to have been on 36 cruises and have carried on caff free diet coke for as long as its been on the market. I used the hard plastic coolers before softsides came out and have never been questioned by anyone on any cruise line. Even with my soda supply, my bar tab has exceeded tha GNP of 88 third world countries. So maybe thats why they let me bring on all the Cokes I want?
Old July 15th, 2001, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Interestinger and Interestinger.

While our favorite local restaurants would probably think it quite strange if we showed up with our own bottle of wine (never mind that they would get busted because of local liquor laws), why would they object to us having a cocktail at home before?

On the other hand, cruise ships don't think it strange at all if you bring your own wine ... whether you tucked it in at home before leaving or it's a gift from friends or your generous travel agent. That's why there is a corkage fee.

The thing I have never been able to figure out is just WHY there is an ice bucket in every cabin if there is not some expectation that people willl self-supply?

pamda, Curiouser and Curiouser
Old July 16th, 2001, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think there's all kind of oddities in this subject. For instance..as stated, I take along my caff. free Diet Coke. I certainly drink it in the cabin, and would even take it my thermo cup to the pool, yet for some reason would never consider taking it to the dining room or one of the lounges. Why is that??? Beats me
I suspect people are the same with their liquor. Consume it in the cabin, maybe by the pool. But, I'd bet there aren't many that would take their own drink to the piano bar, or even the dining room. Why is that? Beats me.

All the cruise lines allow you take soda onboard.. no questions asked. You don't have to be discreet with it. You don't have to try and hide it. We all know how much profit there is in selling us soda at $1.75 or more, so ... Why is that? Beats me!

BTW..For wine corkage fees, I've always found if the we tip the wine steward, or who's ever serving it, with the first bottle served, the corkage fee for the remainder of the week seems to get forgotten.

Regards,
Kuki