Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Braves Fans

Default room category/cabin steward

Wondering if anyone knows if the room category and seniority level of a cabin steward are related. We have never had a bad cabin steward on any cruise, but I always wondered if the cabin stewards that serve the rooms like the grand suites are a higher seniority level, or if they are paid the same as those that serve the lowest cabin categories...
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: room category/cabin steward

The best cabin steward we had was on the Grand. We were in an inside cabin right across from the "Grand Suite" on the Lido deck. "Gemma" was the best and I have no doubt that her abilities are the reason why she was in charge of the Grand Suite and likely we benefited from her also.

My uneducated guess would be "yes".
Old July 16th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Sailed on Regal Princess in AA Antibes Suite. Our room steward was exceptional. I did ask him how he got to be a steward in the full suites and his reply was that he enjoyed serving the full suite passengers and had been doing so for about 9 years. He said that there were stewards with lots of years of experience that will not be assigned to the full suites because they request to not take a full suite assignment. WHY??? He said that some stewards feel that full suite passengers are just too demanding. He did indicate that stewards in the full suites have many years of experience and stewards have to 'work their way up' to be assigned to the full suites. Our steward said that the best part of working full suites was that normally the tips were better and even though the rooms were much larger, the full suites were easier to clean. And it was his opinion that full suite passengers were easier to deal with than any other rooms on board. This is, again, just that stewards opinion. Sailed on Sea Princess in AA on Dolphin. Our steward was just great but he indicated that he had a 'helper' and shared his tips with that person. The 'helper' did not seem to have a title but he was very nice also. Actually this was the first time I ever heard of the room steward having a 'helper'. Full Suites are the only way to sail.....IMHO...
Old July 17th, 2001, 08:04 AM
marye

I am not so sure that that is true in all cases. When we were on the Grand in March, we had a mini-suite and had the worst steward in 11 cruises. He was young, and inexperienced, and decided that week (after about 5 weeks as a steward) that he was going to quit and leave that Sunday. He was nice enough, but never had the room done before 2:30 each afternoon, onetime as late as 4:00. He went in order, and there was no amount of influence that could change the order that he did the rooms. He constantly forgot towels, and basic items, even after begin reminded, he didn't come through with stuff. He wasn't the best bathroom cleaner, and after asking him to wipe one of the very dirty chairs on the balacony, he would say yes, then do nothing, I stole a towel and did it myself. (Had no idea what a shower cap was, and we finally had the butler get them-after three days,thank god they still had them then). We are not demanding, and are pretty neat in our rooms, but he was frustrating. Any other steward I have had, as soon as they know you like something, or don't like something, they are right on it. The last two days of the cruise, he was even worse (He apparently made up his mind to leave, and gave up). It didn't ruin our cruise, but we sure were puzzled that he was so uninterested, especially around tip day. (It was also the first time that we ever just tipped our room steward only the recommended amount. It was after much discussion with my hubby.) A discussion with the Butler, revealed that she didn't think that he was assertive enough in getting the linens, and just was not adjusting to the job. Nice kid, but not in the right field.

marye