Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Judy Rainey

Default Cruising

Good morning cruisers. I am new to this site, and I think it's great. I am a cruise travel agent, with over 17 cruises under my belt, and I believe this is the best way to travel. I am in the Maryland area, and would welcome any comments on cruises from any of you.
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruising

Since you are a travel agent with alot of experience, maybe you could answer a question for me. I have heard conflicting accounts of bottled water being provided in the cabins. We are sailing on the Aug.4 Celebrity Century. We have an outside cabin guarantee. No cabin # yet obviously. I don't want to carry water on board if it is going to be provided. Thanks for any info on this as well as any other insights about the Century or western caribbean shore excursions. Thank you again.
Old July 18th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Hi, Lorraine ...

I'm not Judy but I've sailed on Celebrity a number of times. Memory tells me that there is bottled water in the cabin and it's not inexpensive. The waitstaff also offers you bottled water in the dining room.

It is not inexpensive.

That said, the potable water on ships is probably cleaner and safer than whatever comes out of your tap at home.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Editor
Old July 18th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Welcome aboard!

Now, just where in Maryland are you from? We may be neighbors?
Old July 18th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Mary Lou

Lorraine:
I totally agree with Pamda regarding the water. The ship's water is fine to drink. They have a great filtering/cleaning system. I'm a stickler for NEVER drinking the water when I travel. I do drink the water on the Celebrity ships and have never experienced any type of problem.....and it is free.
Have a great trip.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old July 18th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Mary Lou

Judy:
Welcome to CruiseMates. I'm glad you are enjoying this site, I know I do.
Hopefully you will become a "regular". And we also have a great chatroom weeknights beginning at 9 p.m. eastern time. We would love to have you join
us there......
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old July 18th, 2001, 01:41 PM
HySeas

The bottled water is Evian at $2.95 for 1.5 Litres on Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Of course you can bring your own and save a little. I take my own sodas to save some money at $1.75 a can or $2.25 a 600 ml. bottle.
Old July 18th, 2001, 01:43 PM
NJmatt

The water that comes out of the tap in your stateroom is not bad,its desalinized seawater anyway. Another possible thing would be to bring your own small bottles from home in your carryon when boarding the ship...thats what I intend to do in September when I cruise.
Old July 18th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Capt'n Queeg

Let's see...

$2.95 for a 1.5 liter bottle works out to about $7.44 per gallon.

Now don't you feel silly complaining about paying $1.70 a gallon for gasoline. You think the OIL companies are gouging? I want stock in Evian.
Old July 18th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Actually, the drinking water on the new ships is distilled and is probably higher quality than the bottled water on the vanity. In fact, I have heard that once of the big bottled water suppliers (don't know which) gets it's water from the Houston municipal supply. Anyway, we have been on 14 cruises and have drunk the tap water on all of them.

Paul B
Old July 19th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Robie

I always bring one sports bottle from home for the plane ride and then I keep refilling it from the water in the cabin. Lots of people fill water bottles at the Oasis Cafe. If I cruise to a beach island I usually bring a small insulated jug. Costs about $3. Packs easily in a suitcase. . At the end of the vacation, you will have saved lots $$ And, if you need the space on the way home for souvenirs, throw it away. Buy a few now. It's hard to get them after summer.