Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Braves Fans

Default tipping at the dock

Does anyone know if there is a standard rate to tip the baggage handlers at the dock when boarding a cruise ship? We always tip (atleast $1.00 per bag), and I've heard rumors that if you don't tip, your baggage will be mysteriously lost and won't show up on the boat. Just wanted to know if anyone had any info on this to share...
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Rob H

Default Re: tipping at the dock

I can only talk to Vancouver per my TA
Porters are their to take your bags to the cruise ship and most folks do not think about tipping them though it is appreciated and recommended. A $1 a bag in local currency
Old July 18th, 2001, 11:33 PM
Admiral

A buck a bag and a big smile is my answer.

pamda - CruiseMates First Time Cruisers Hostess
Old July 19th, 2001, 01:32 AM
Lady Jag

We usually tip them. Don't know if it's really necessary though. We tip between $1-$2 per bag, depending on how much effort is involved in handling the bags.
Old July 19th, 2001, 07:35 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

Buck a bag in Boston at the airport, buck a bag in Florida or San Juan at the docks, buck a bag everywhere. Bring lots and lots of bucks!!!
Old July 19th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Passenger

If you don't want to tip them, they will certainly let you know. On last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale they wasted no time in saying that that a tip would be appreciated. I always wonder just how much these guys make a year TAX FREE, just like the rest of us...
Old July 19th, 2001, 10:08 AM
martinimomma

we usually have too much luggage, and it's all very heavy. grab one of the stevedors when you can, at least $10 for 3-4 bags, and if they help put them in the sedan, slide another $5 their way. it alleviates any confusion on getting your luggage safely into a vehicle and out of the millions of bags on the deck. better safe than sorry.
Old July 19th, 2001, 12:28 PM
HySeas

In the Port of Vancouver, there is no tipping required. The porters have signs up that say this, but if you're in a generous mood........
Old July 19th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Robocop

A dollar a bag is sufficient. Heck, all they do is toss it into a large bin.
Jim
Old July 19th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've told this story before, but here it is again.
The wife and I always rent a car to drive to the port (Miami) because we don't like the car sitting there for 7-10 days.One time, we drop the rental (Avis) and catch their shuttle to the ship. 2 spring breakers are in the van also. At the terminal the porters are there to grab the luggage and one of the college kids asks me if I tip the porters. I say at least $1 a bag. The kid says the hell with that but they let the porters take their bags and stiff them. About 11 that night we see these 2 guys in one of the bars and join them for a drink. They ask if we got our luggage and I tell them about 2 hours after we boarded, "Why"? After 11pm and they still had not received the first piece of luggage. So much for stiffing the help!