Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Default Avoid Ship Terminals!!!

Hey Gang...

I live in New York, a ten minute ride from the ship passenger terminal. Made a big mistake this Sunday by visiting the teminal. Four ships were parked there with excited passengers boarding for Bermuda, New England/Canada cruises.

Boy, is it depressing to stand in front of a ship when you're not leaving on it!! I wanted to run to the gangway and plead to be taken. But ages ago, when I worked at Cunard, we never stuck around to watch the ship depart. Too depressing. I should have remembered.
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2001, 12:29 PM
HySeas

Default Re: Avoid Ship Terminals!!!

I hear you. Every Saturday I go down to Canada Place and watch the gloating paxs on their way to Alaska and do my best to hold back the tears. I always strike up a conversation with other watchers who are her eto catch a cruise in a day or two and marvel at the number of ships that leave on a Saturday, 3 to 4 at least next year it'll be 5. If only.
Old July 20th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Lady Jag

I like going to the airport too. It's fun to watch the people and their excitement to get somewhere. I love speculating as to where they're going, who they are seeing, what they'll be doing. Also, it's fun to watch the reunions of people there. You'll always find someone waiting for another person that is so happy to see them. The airport is a neat place to be and a little less 'dangerous' than a cruise terminal!
Old July 20th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

one of my most depressing moments was when i turned and walked down the gangplank of the Qe2 after touring her in Boston..but...ya know what....i'd do it again in a heartbeat to tour another ship call me a glutton for punishment
Old July 20th, 2001, 10:21 PM
bow2stern

Jacki and I often wind up crossing the MacArthur Causeway, on a Saturday or Sunday. It's the road that crosses Watson Island, and runs parallel to the port. As you're leaving, it's the roadway on the port side....
We've gotten past the point where we get depressed, and often stop, in the park, to look at the ships, especially if they're leaving.
Old July 22nd, 2001, 12:54 PM
susancruzs

In March, I went a day early to Ft. L for my Sunday sailing. Carole took me around Miami/Ft. L., I wanted to see the Norway (one last time). I was surprised at the people parking and watching the ships leave the port. We went to the top of a hotel for a drink and watched them pull out of Ft. L., on Sat. I would not want to do that if I wasn't leaving on one myself real soon! Susan will be cruisin'