Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Lady Jag

Default Airplane Ear Pain Solution

While reading my Conde Nast Traveller Magazine, I came across a product for people that experience ear pain while flying. My son had quite a bit of pain a couple months ago and couldn't chew the gum we had brought because of his palate expander (like braces). He yawned, drank water, and nothing helped. He didn't have a cold or sinusitis.

I was so relieved to find "Earplanes" that I thought other people might be interested in them. Haven't tried them yet, but it seems logical that they would work. They even come in kids' sizes! You can order them at: www.earplanes.com or 1-800-327-6151. Has anyone had any experience with these little things?
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Bensley's

Default Re: Airplane Ear Pain Solution

Yes, they work great and you can find them at Walmart, Eckerd Drugs, Walgreens etc. No need to pay shipping and handled, just check your local drug store.
They are soft, and don't hurt and you can still hear people talking to you.
Old July 20th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Captain

Bobbie: My husband used to really suffer each time we flew because of chronic sinus condition. His face would go numb and he would lose all sense of taste...and suffer awful pain.

He has used earplanes for about 3 years and they have saved him so much agony. Follow the directions on the package EXACTLY and they will work. If his sinuses are acting up when we fly, he wil still experience a little discomfort but nothing like in the past.

From years of experience, we have also learned that taking two sudafed one hour before take off, and again about 3 hours later if it is a long flight provides relief. Also, he uses a Vick's inhaler if he is feeling any discomfort. The trick with the inhaler is to use it repeatedly. You think it isn't doing anything, but keep using it over and over again. Either the sufferer will feel a release of air pressure or it'll be a gradual release that you hardly notice until suddenly it occurs to you....WOW, my ears feel better! These are tried and true remedies and they work!

If his ears are REALLY BAD, ask the flight attendant for a cup and a warmed washcloth (like they distribute in first class) and have him hold the cup containing the warmed, moist cloth against his ear. That usually gives rapid relief.

I'm sure this is far more info than anyone really needed or wanted on the subject, but having watched people really suffer, I hope it will help someone.
Old July 20th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Lady Jag

Thanks so much for the info. Carole & Judy! The more the better, as far as I'm concerned! Nothing is worse than to see someone suffering from ear pain on a plane! I'll definitely get some Earplanes and also try some of Judy's other remedies too. Do they make Sudafed in a liquid? My son can't swallow pills yet. I've thought about giving him that because I know it's a decongestant, but haven't seen it in the liquid form.
Old July 20th, 2001, 09:20 PM
Captain

Yes, Bobbie, I believe sudafed does come in liquid form. The sudafed tablets are VERY small....he may be able to handle the pill form if you cannot get liquid. They are no larger than the diameter of an average drinking straw...or even smaller.
Old July 20th, 2001, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Former flight attendant here ....

The Vicks inhalers really DO work but not as well as some other approaches.

Saline solution (up your nose variety) is excellent.

Even better, NeoSenephrine (sp?) taken as nose drops. Icky, but GOOD.

I once fell asleep on a 727, deadheading back to base, and I woke up to two broken eardrums and a serious hearing loss.

If you can't do the "click" thing to clear your ears, hold your nose and "blow" until your ears are "full", then swallow. After that, push in on the little ear flaps and your ears will clear.

I have, truly, seen grown men cry from the pain of ears. The absolutely worst aircraft is a 727 because of the hinky pressurization.

pamda
Old July 20th, 2001, 10:35 PM
sue/seamom

My 8 year old has suffered in the past and was happy to try out the earplanes. I give him liquid children's Motrim just before he flies now too and he hasn't complained since.
Old July 20th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Familiar Face

Earplanes have really made such a difference! I tend to suffer TERRIBLY from so much pain, I could swear my ears were going to explode, but the difference using earplanes is dramatic. Great product!
Old July 20th, 2001, 11:18 PM
bow2stern

I have the real cure.... I live in Miami and can drive to The Port of Miami in about 1/2 hour and Port Everglades in about an hour-and-a-quarter...
Have my "Sunpass" for the turnpike, so it's no stops....
Old July 21st, 2001, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Those Earplanes have solved the ear pain problem for me. I always got the most excruciating pain in my ears before plane landings. Always thought my ears would burst, and I couldn't hear for a long time afterward. Thank goodness for this wonderful invention. I would never fly without using Earplanes. And like bow2stern - for most cruises I take - I can just DRIVE to the Florida ports, since I live in Ft. Lauderdale. That is the best solution of all.
Old July 21st, 2001, 08:49 PM
Lady Jag

So much wonderful advice and endorsements! Thanks everyone! I'm so glad to hear these Earplanes work! I will definitely get some.

Judy - Yes, I know those Sudafed pills are small, but it is the 'idea' of swallowing that is holding back my 9 yr. old from swallowing. (mind over matter) There's no convincing him. He'll do it when he's ready and in the meantime, I'll look for Liquid Sudafed! Thanks and have a great time on your cruise!