Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Mgram shouldn't appolgize

Just read a post where Mgram stated she had a bad cruise especially the meals. Then a few post down she said she shouldn't have made the comments because it might ruin another persons cruise. She stated she was informed in an e-mail that complaining was wrong. Or at least that is how I understand it.

Well for my two cents. Mgram I appreciate your honesty. I make my cruise decisions on the respopnses of other cruisers. If you had a bad meal then I might have a bad meal. I rely upon the honesty of the posters to help me make decisions. So I am taken back by anyone e-mailing someone else and telling them not to post the truth.

Everyone who reads a post has the posters e-mail address and if someone disagrees with a post OK write and state your disagreement. But you should never try to take away a persons basic freedom and that is freedom of speech. Now we do have the obligation to report the truth but wei can report the truth as we experience it.
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Mgram shouldn't appolgize

Good for you, Don.

I am an extremely picky cruiser/eater and know Mgram very well. She is a very lovely lady and I hold her opinions in high regard.

I tend NOT to comment on cruise food unless I like it because I am a serious foodie. (You don't want to know my opinions on cruise ship veal.)

That said, NONE OF US should ever have to apologize for making our opinions known. Opinions are not complaining. Big difference.

If I say, "Stay away from the veal," that is my opinion, not a complaint. If I say, "The veal would be better used as soles for sandals," that is my opinion, not a complaint.

The secret to the whole thing is getting to know other cruisers and whether or not they have the same value set as you do.

Have you ever gotten a restaurant recommendation from someone who thinks that ketchup is one of the major food groups?

Nobody should apologize for their own opinions. Ever.

Now, I'm getting nervous because Mgram will be having dinner at my house on Friday night. I think veal will NOT be on the menu.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Editor and serious "Foodie"
Old July 25th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Admiral

Don, I agree with you and Pamda wholeheartedly. No apology, ever, for expressing an honest opinion....and I can't imagine mgram ever giving any other kind. Aren't people funny? The wide divergence of opinion on any issue simply tells us just how different we all are, especially when it comes to food.\, and that's perfectly OK. One simple example comes to mind. Based upon our Millennium experience (our only Celebrity cruise so far), I didn't care very much for their fare. A good friend of mine, though, thinks the sun probably wouldn't come up at all if it didn't have Michael Roux to shine upon. See what I mean? The old "different strokes for different folks" thing again, but what's wrong with that.\? I think that whoever sent mgram that email must believe in the ostrich philosophy: "Keep your head in the sand, and you'll never see anything bad," etc. Pamda's right about one other thing, too: "Don't eat the veal." :o)
Old July 25th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Admiral

I surf the bulletin boards seeking opinions. Good or bad. Thanks Mgram and other posters for your opinions!
Old July 25th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Yikes guys and gals! I was not attacked in any way by the person that e-mailed...thank you for the defense, but it's not necessary! The e-mailer very nicely asked for clarification of my concerns to aid her in her decision making. She in no way chastised me for my opinions.....she just wanted specifics...which I provided in a reply via email. She had been 'on the verge' of booking Majesty. We do walk a fine line here between freedom of speech and and honesty in reporting our opinions...but that is just it...it's 'our opinions'...and they can vary differently on the same subject from person to person. Case in point....Hubby Don didn't think the aforementioned Turkey Day dinner we 'all that bad'...(but keep in mind he will eat anything that is not faster than he is..let's don't go there). Well...I don't want to waist (not a typo) calories on food that is not 'all that bad'. If you have seen the Phrolic pics....you know I can't afford that....remember, I have a "fat lens" on my camera!

Like pamda (remember pholks...yikes will vestiges of the Phrolic ever leave me...folks, it's a small 'p'....I continually have to backspace to change it...want to do caps...no DT that wasn't aimed at you....I just did it myself!)...let me start that long mess over....Like pamda, I am a lover of great food and can be a little over critical of mediocre food when I have been expecting (by reputation), just that, greatness.

So...quake in your boots girl....see you Friday night!....stay tuned, review of meal to be posted shortly after dinner!!!!!! Mgram
Old July 25th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I line up firmly on the side of free speech!! As long as no one is getting nasty and personal with another poster. SAY WHAT U THINK!
Gosh if I were to get in trouble every time I joked around someone didnt think the joke was funny, I'd be serving a life sentence in a dingy Turkish jail.

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 25th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Audrey Belcher

We just got back from a cruise on the Dawn Princess and we did not like the food in the buffet court at all. But that is how we felt and we ate somewhere else. We should be able to say how we feel about something like food and be able to take it as just how that person felt. Nobody feels the same about everything.
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Robocop

Definately NOT apologize! That is one of the great things here at Cruisemates. ALL opinions are welcome, the good, bad, and ugly. So long as someone states their reasons for their opinions it is a great way to interact and provide ideas. Now if someone made a post that such and such cruise ship was horrible and you shouldn't sail on it and that was the extent of the post, then I may well remove the post as it has no meaning nor purpose except for trolling and that isn't productive. Personal attacks also aren't allowed but lets get real, all of us will have a differant opinion once in awhile and no problem. I think your average Cruisemate is adult enough to conduct themself in that manner and we trust you to do so.
Jim
Old July 25th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Lady Jag

If we don't make judgements, how can we decide what is good or bad?

Whomever e-mailed Mgram to say such a thing must be a very insecure and easily influenced person. I've never heard such a ridiculous statement.
Old July 26th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Passenger

If I made my sole decision on the opinions of others on these boards, I would not have cruised 11 times with two booked and be a fanatic cruiser. "Everyone has something to say about something"

LS5099