Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Lady Jag

Default Booked our Seattle Pre-Cruise Hotel!

If anyone is looking for a very good AAA deal, the brand new Elliott Grand Hyatt Hotel in Seattle is having a great deal for AAA members. I'm not a member, but for this deal, I'm signing up! You can save over $100 per night with the AAA membership. It's a great deal if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2001, 08:54 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Booked our Seattle Pre-Cruise Hotel!

Bobbie - where is this hotel located? Downtown or where?
Old July 25th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Lady Jag

Hi Lisa - It's at the corner of Pine Street and 7th Avenue in downtown Seattle. It's brand new, 30 floors, and is a high-tech hotel. Every room has internet/ethernet access (too bad we don't have a laptop!), oversized bathrooms, in room safes, refrigerators, and a host of other ammenities. According to my husband, the best part is that they have a Starbuck's in the lobby and my son's happy because they have a Cheesecake Factory there too!
Old July 25th, 2001, 10:34 PM
sailinglisa

Sounds good!! Was in Seattle about 7 years ago (stayed with a friend but she lived in the downtown area) - I think you will have a blast! Make sure to take the monorail to the Space Needle and visit Pike's Place Market and there is an IMAX theatre down by the waterfront.
Old July 25th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Lady Jag

The Space Needle and Pike Street Marketplace are on our list of things to do there. Also, we'll be visiting the college my son (11 yr. old) wants to go to when he's older. I've heard the Underground Tour is pretty neat. Have you heard about it?
Old July 26th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey All,

I am a Seattle resident. I have lived Downtown for about 2 years now. If you have any questions about the area, please let me know.

As for the Starbucks in the new Hyatt...well there are about 5 Starbucks in that one block radius around the hotel...Two in Pacific Place, One in One Union Tower, etc. etc. I however prefer the coffee at Tully's

The Underground tour is okay, but I would recomend going to Capitol Hill and hitting the shops on Broadway instead, or if you prefer go to the art gallaries in Pioneer Square. You will get a better feel for the local charm of Seattle.

Kris

PS...I love this city and will brag about it constantly if you let me
Old July 26th, 2001, 10:02 PM
sailinglisa

Bobbie - had heard about the underground tour, but never did it. At that time it was a choice between whale watching in the San Juans or the underground tour - the whales won! lol
Old July 26th, 2001, 10:06 PM
Lady Jag

Kris - Why was the Underground Tour just okay? We're planning to do the Space Needle (who doesn't?), Pike Street Marketplace, and maybe one other thing. We're also driving over to Redmond to visit a college my son wants to attend, so most of Sunday will be taken up with that and visiting friends.

I had to laugh when I said that the Hyatt has a Starbuck's. That's kinds like saying Hawaii has palm trees. Dahhhh......

We'd like to do something that is unique to Seattle, and that's why I thought the Underground Tour would be good. Is there a lot of walking? Would our kids get tired from it? Or, would going to the Seattle Center be better?

Thanks so much for the help and advice!
Old July 27th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are a history buff or really interested in learning the history of Seattle the Underground Tour will be great for you. There is walking involved, but nothing that you or your kids will not be able to handle. If you're not into history, it will feel like you just toured the largest cellar you've every been in.

If you want to truely unique Seattle experiance...visit the EMP (Experiance Music Project). It is one of the strangest looking buildings you will ever see in your life. Basicly, it is a rock-n-roll musuem. It has great exhibits and does feature Pacific Northwest music in particular...Jimi Hendrix, grunge, etc. The exhibits have this great little portable computer that gives you a personalized tour...you can choose what exhibits and what order. Also there is an interactive section that will teach you how to play instruments, scratch like a DJ, and have your very own family jam session. I think your kids will really enjoy it.

Is your son interested in attending the Nintendo College? or is it a different school in Redmond?
Old July 27th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Lady Jag

Yes, exactly, Kris, the DigiPen Institute. It's a tech. college for video game designers. He loves the weather up there, too, which is another big reason for him wanting to live there. He has his whole life planned out and he's only 11!

Okay, so we'll ditch the Underground Tour. Everyone else can't stand history except me, so they'd be bored to death. Where is the Experience Music Project located? Do they have a website by any chance? It sounds like a fun and interesting place!

Thanks so much for the help! :o)
Old July 29th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well if your son is really interested in being a game developer, then Seattle is the place for him. My friends and I all work in the computer industry here in Seattle in some capacity or another.

Here is the address to the EMP web site:

http://www.emplive.com/

The EMP is located next to the Pacific Science Center. The building looks like leftover Play-Dough. It's pretty wild looking. We are still trying to figure out what the architect was going for.

I hope your family enjoys their visit.

Kris
Old July 29th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Lady Jag

Thanks so much for the link, Kris! I appreciate it. Yes, my son is very, very serious about being a game developer/designer. I know he would be very happy and at home in the Seattle area. I'll definitely check out the website and plan to go to the EMP and look forward to seeing the left-over play-dough building! :o)