Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Passenger

Default Incredible Costa Atlantica rescue operations!

Incredible but true!
It's a report from my uncles, they are on board Costa Atlantica for their one week cruise from Venice (July 22th-29th).
Costa Atlantica, after a change of its cruise route, at Tuesday arrived in Mikonos at 5pm up to 11pm instead of Katakolon where there was a general strike of archeological sites (Olimpia's site as others Greek sites).
In Mikonos there was also the new Costa Tropicale scheduled to arrive at 4pm.
At 11pm Costa Tropicale during its manoeuvres to exit from the little port ran aground near the harbour pier!!!
Two tugboats tried to refloat Tropicale but nothing to do, so after one hour Costa Atlantica (still in Mikonos to see what will be happened) hooked Costa Tropicale, bow against bow, with ropes to try to refloat it.
Costa Atlantica's master explained all operations by loudspeaker to all passangers.
Atlantica started to tow Tropicale with reverse gear but after some minutes ropes broke without any Costa Tropicale movements.
My uncle said me the ropes' break sound was like a bomb!
At the moment ropes broke Atlantica's sternway caused a little break of Atlantica's stern against the pier (demages for the pier, nothing for Atlantica).
Costa Atlantica turned around and hooked again Costa Tropicale, Atlantica's stern against Tropicale's bow, but this time not with ropes but with large chains.
Now it was able to refloat Costa Tropicale!
Atlantica left Mikonos at 2am!!!! Tropicale had serious problems with its propellers and didn't leave Mikonos, in fact the day after my uncles with Atlantica arrived in Kusadasi, as scheduled, but Tropicale, scheduled to arrive in Kusadasi at 8am and to spend all the day docked up to 6pm, never arrived.
It's possible it spent another day in Mikonos to solve propellers' problems.
The incredible thing is that two weeks ago, in Venice, during the Costa Tropicale inaugural one night cruise for TA it ran aground at the harbour exit, near Lido island, I know it because one
of my best friend works for Venice Port Authority, there was no problems because Tropicale ran aground in a sandbank and two tugboats were able to refloat it in little time but I can't believe it could be happens twice in only two weeks!!!!
I wil have more informations next Sunday when my uncles will finish their cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Incredible Costa Atlantica rescue operations!

Teo...
Thanks for the almost live report. Very interesting. Would have been cool to watch the Costa Atlantica being used as a tug boat.

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 26th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Lady Jag

Very interesting. Keep us posted, Teo!
Old July 26th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Too bad for the Tropicale, she had a bad rep the past several years with Carnival and isn't starting out too good for Costa.
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:54 PM
sailinglisa

CA - I was thinking the same thing!
Old July 27th, 2001, 06:22 AM
TBirdFrank

Costa have few friends in Britain after they reneged on a ship upgrade last autumn, eventually bankrupting the yard which had built the now abandoned mid section.

What the legality may be of using a vessel with a full complement of passengers as a means of assisting another fleet member is a matter for conjecture, but it does not inspire confidence.

and if that rope had peeled back towards passenger decks .............