Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2001, 09:17 AM
sue/seamom

Default Great White Pets, anyone??

Many enjoy the dolphin encounters but how about the news item I read in the paper yesterday where people are petting Great White Sharks?

During shark feeding frenzies on beached whales on the coast of Australia, people have been seen climbing along the backs of the whales to pet the snouts of the feeding great whites while they thrashed and ripped chunks of meat from the whales....DUH!

Laws are being now being passed to protect people from their own stupidity.

Reminds me of a story a ranger told me once in Algonquin Park in Northern Ontario. ....

Black bears, not usually harmful unless provoked, tend to feed at the dumps. He often caught people placing their toddlers onto the backs of the bears to take photographs. After lecturing them on these wild, untrained bears he would turn around on departure only to see the people putting the child back on and getting that picture before that pesky ranger came to bother them again!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Great White Pets, anyone??

Unfortunately, it's impossible to legislate effectively against stupidity.
Old July 26th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Sure it is, Divetex ... it's called state lotteries. Or is that FOR stupidity?
Old July 27th, 2001, 03:32 AM
Dale

It is very true, tapes of idiots reaching down to touch the sharks noses while they are in a feeding frenzy on TV here.

We've had whales coming past during the past several weeks and people going right up to them in boats. Unfortunately is was a whale that was injured by one of the boat props. There are laws to keep boats at a safe distance but people just ignore them.

Also they are talking of culling dingoes on Fraser Island because of attacks on people, but can't stop the idiots feeding them and so the dogs lose their fear of humans.

Can't put brains where there ain't none. Unfortunately it is the wildlife or inocent people who suffer. Makes my blood boil.
Old July 27th, 2001, 08:52 AM
sue/seamom

Your dingo problem sounds much like our coyote problem here in urban Toronto. I have had two sitting on my front yard last winter and we are 9 houses from the major street Bloor where the subway system goes.

There is no enforcable law about feeding them on your property and some of the seniors are making chicken dinners for them. They have become so fearless of humans, it is scary to see them wander through the schoolyard and the public park even at the height of noise of a hockey game or recess.

There was a school council meeting where an eccentric wiley trapper who looks like he walked off a backwoods movie set, lectured us on the coyote's lifestyle. In the country maybe but here in almost downtown Toronto!?!!??!
Old July 27th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Capt'n Queeg

Governments should stop trying to legislate against stupidity. I believe Darwin's Law covers it nicely, and it can't be revoked. Maybe these people won't be around long enough to breed even more stupid people (who all tend to stand on the buffet line on the Lido Deck.)

"There should be no lifeguards in the gene pool."

queeg
Old July 27th, 2001, 01:25 PM
selligirl

My Personal Favorite -

STUPIDITY SHOULD HURT!!

Just my two cents worth!