Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Texas

Default Do you purchase Cruise Insurance? - To Buy or NOT

I've been on one cruise, RCI's Voyager. I purchased the insurance for my husband and I, $200. I thought it was the biggest waste of money. I do not want to purchase it for our next cruise. I didn't read the fine print until after the cruise. This insurance is really only good if you miss the ship and have to fly to one of the ports to catch the ship. I thought, it would be for if anything happens, for instance, last minute change of plans, you have to cancel 10 days before departure. At least, I think they should receive a partial refund.

What do you think? Is insurance a deal or a steal? How many of you out there purchase cruise insurance?
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2001, 06:03 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Do you purchase Cruise Insurance? - To Buy or

There are different insurance companies and different types of coverages out there. I always buy the insurance - if I have to cancel a cruise due to a death or serious illness or injury, I am covered. If you buy certain types of coverages within 7 days of booking the cruise you get coverage for pre-existing conditions. You also will be covered for any medical expenses incurred too - your insurance is usually no good outside the USA. And, if you need to be evacuated from the ship - well that can run into the thousands of dollars. I can't afford that kind of money - that's why I buy the insurance. I have used both Access America and TravelGuard.
Old July 27th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Texas,
I too will not cruise without the travel insurance, we spend just too much money and after final payment if something happens, you could loose it all or a big part of it. Also the health aspect is another reason to have it. Our regular health insurance doesn't always cover us when traveling out of the US and like Texas mentioned, if you have to be air lifted, thats extremely expensive and I sure don't have that kind of money. I heard that someone needed to be airlifted to a hospital and the cost for that was $12,000. So, I would think twice about getting it, also covers lost luggage and we all hear those horror stories, so I'd rather spend the extra for the insurance and be covered for any of those unexpected mishaps.

We've been taking out the cruise insurance with CSA and have had no problem, but haven't had to make a claim either, but I did hear from someone that did have a problem with a late flight, missed the ship. They had to fly into Nassau and spend the night in a hotel and everything was covered, they even got their check fromt he insurance company in just a few weeks, no hassles.

Here is a link to the CSA insurance, you may want to shop around and compare, they too have a policy that will cover existing conditions if you need that as well:

<http://www.csatravelprotection.com/>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host

Good luck and happy cruising!
Old July 27th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Terese

Consumer Reports recommends buying insurance for cruises- although I don't remember which company they advised using. I would never travel again on a cruise without it. If you subscribe to Consumer Reports online, you can access the article.
Old July 27th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Will always buy insurance!

I think it is a good idea to buy insurance that is not the cruiselines. I have used Travelex, Access America and CSA.

What if your parents get sick, your children have an accident and you have to fly home, you break your leg in a small Caribbean country and your health insurance won't cover you, etc ......How would you like to pay for air evacuation on your own?

It is worth it!

Theresa
Old July 27th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Admiral

We buy insurance for every cruise, to the tune of anywhere from $125 to $250 for the two of us for a cruise. We used to buy insurance through the cruise lines, but changed to Travel Guard because they waive pre-existing conditions if you buy the policy within 14 days of booking. One or two others do the same, but the cruise lines' insurance doesn't. This is important, too. Health, death, lost luggage, missed ship, bankrupt cruise line, etc.....all covered. When we had to cancel a cruise when my wife's father died, they didn't want to pay off because HE died of a pre-existing condition. When I reminded the claims guy of their waiver policy, he said that he'd never heard of it (With Travel Guard, only their Super Saver policy has the waiver). He checked into it and called me back to tell me I was right, and that they would pay off. They did. As a scuba diver, I also have a DAN (Divers Alert Network) policy that covers me in the event of a diving accident or death. We would never book without insurance. Your choice, of course, and it does add up if you cruise much...but to us, it's an intelligent investment.
Old July 28th, 2001, 01:53 AM
Seabis

We have always found it cheaper to take out yearly travel insurance. It only costs about 10% more than a policy that only is specified for one trip.As we have been lucky enough to normally get two vacations overseas a year it saves money in the long run.
Old July 28th, 2001, 09:48 AM
First Mate

Seabis - This sounds worthwhile. We travel several times a year but I had never thought about a whole year policy. Did you get this through your regular agent or through one of the travel insurance sellers like Travel Guard or CSA? It would be nice to have this and not have to hassle with it every time.
Old July 28th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We purchase an annual travel insurance as well, but ours covers ONLY medical insurance. No trip cancellation, etc.
Don't know if things are different for u south of the border... but we always purchase seperate travel insurance from Travelguard or CSA.

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 28th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Pooh Bear

Seabis:

Can you give me some info on yearly travel insurance? We've purchased cruise insurance 2X through CSA. Fortunately, we've never had to use it to find out if there are any pitfalls. Getting my husband to purchase additional insurance for ANYTHING is like trying to get blood out of turnips. He absolutely refused to let me purchase for our last 2 cruises.

Since all of our cruises are out of the country - and we do a good deal of traveling around the US - I'd like to hear what you know about yearly travel insurance.

Thanks in advance.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old July 28th, 2001, 11:11 PM
Lady Jag

Our answer: Not to buy. No way, no how would I buy cruise insurance. I'm going, no matter what and nothing's stopping me!! I don't care if I'm sick (where else would you be better taken care of) or someone in my family is sick (I know they'd rather have me on the cruise). I cannot think of one reason that would stop me from going on the cruise.

IF, by chance, some catastrophe did happen, I would consider it "luck of the draw". I'd rather have that extra insurance money to put a deposit on my next cruise than on something I MIGHT use like insurance. Call me reckless or a gambler, but that's what works for me. I only book with big reputable companies, well-known cruise lines and we are all young, healthy and our immediate family is too. It all depends on your risks - if they are too great, then buy insurance. If not, use the money to put down a deposit on your next cruise!
Old July 29th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Seabis

Regarding Yearly travel isurance. Things could be different here in the UK but we just used our normal T.A. He knew we were intending to travel more than once during 2000/2001 so he suggested we bought a yearly policy. In the uk we used to have to buy travel insurance as part of the vacation package but the govenment realised that this was anti competative and the travel companies were making large profits on the insurance policies. So now people who offer package vacations can not make the insurance a mandatory part of the deal. This has led to much cheaper travel insurance.
Old July 29th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Passenger

Lady Jag:

Are you saying that you would still go if a Parent or close relative, brother - sister, were to pass away? What if you're children became seriously ill?

I felt the same way as you a few years ago, believing we were in excellent health. Did not buy the insurance and my wife, lynn, came down with kidney stones three days before the cruise. Fortunantly, Carnival understood. With some paperwork from the doctor and hospital, they only charged us $40 and placed the rest of the full deposit on credit for a future cruise within one year, which we did.

All others:

Besides all the health issues already covered, I have learned over the years about the risks in air travel delays. I have found that CSA is the only insurance carrier to cover travel delays due to weather. Most other policies only cover for Airline related delays (read the fine print). I assume some of you sometimes have to depart or fly through those unpredictable summer and winter airports, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Denver.

I also assume you can not control hurricanes, so you either don't crusie during hurricane season (and miss out on the bargain prices) or you take your chances. What about that lost luggage. 7 days at sea with the clothes on your back (if you don't plan ahead with your carry-on luggage).What if you book your own excursion or take a taxi and miss the ship? It's pretty expensive to spend the night and then buy airfare to the next port to pickup the ship again.

I for one, will buy the insurance.

LS5099
Old July 29th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Lady Jag

Terry - What good would it do for me to be at a funeral? The person is already dead. Funerals are for the living, not the dead. I have a very large family and one less person for a few days wouldn't make a difference.

If our children became seriously ill, we wouldn't go on the cruise, but would give it to someone else. We'd consider it a gamble, just like life.

Lost luggage - Good excuse to buy new clothes and toiletries.

Air travel delays - We always get to our embarkation port 1 day (at least) and usually, 2 days, ahead of time to avoid these problems as much as possible.

Hurricane season - Great opportunity to visit unexpected ports.

Part of being on vacation is 'going with the flow' - enjoying getting there and being there. It's all a matter of attitude. "Attitude is everything."
Old July 29th, 2001, 06:09 PM
cruisebound

We had to cancel a trip at the last minute due to the serious illness and hospitalization of my father. We got our money back -- we suffered no monetary loss. Why risk losing hundreds or thousands? I would not be without insurance -- ever!
Old July 30th, 2001, 12:19 AM
BOATSIE

>>Besides all the health issues already covered, I have learned over the years about the risks in air travel delays. I have found that CSA is the only insurance carrier to cover travel delays due to weather<<

Just read the fine print on my Travel Guard International Policy and under the area "Trip Cancellation and Interruption" it states "We will pay up to the maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits (which is the complete trip cost on my policy) if a trip is delayed, cancelled or interruped due to any of the following:... (g) carrier caused delays due to adverse weather or as a result of Strikes that affect public transportation."
Old July 31st, 2001, 01:25 PM
Admiral

To me, the trip cancellation is not a big deal. As Lady Jag says, it's a gamble. As is the rest of life.

I can live with that.

Flying in a day early and paying for a hotel is, possibly, cheaper and certainly more relaxing and fun.

We travel a lot and I have an elderly mom. Her pragmatic attitude is, if we're on the other side of the world, ,just have her cremated and we'll deal with the ceremonies when we get back. If something happened to one of my kids, though, I'd SWIM home if I had to.

HOWEVER, it's the medical part that's important. As an "insider" on some of these issues, I know how expensive it can be to medevac someone. Or, to be in a foreign hospital for a while then make your way home with a late-purchase airline ticket. Worse, as happened to a friend, to have your spouse die in a foreign country.

Read Anne Campbell's article on the home page.

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor and BIG believer in off-shore medical insurance.
Old July 31st, 2001, 07:17 PM
2B@sea

Independent cruise insurance really depends on the personal circumstances. I'm young, single, childless, and book my air with plenty of time to make my embarkation port. Pre existing coverage means nothing to me, my most serious health issue to date was a hang nail. The only thing that these insurance policies don't cover is the one thing I truly need. A full refund for simply changing my mind at the last minute & deciding not to go. For that, I have to be held hostage by the cruise lines' outrageous plan. (over $1200 for this cruise--I won't pay that) My next cruise is the first one I will buy insurance for & that's only because its so special to me & I want to go so much that with my luck it will be the one time something goes totally wrong. I understand Lady Jag's position though it may seem cold to some people. However, I do have older parents so I really couldn't justify sailing away to paradise if something happened to one of them. As far as emergency evac is concerned, I can't see the Captain stepping over my semi lifeless corpse as I gasp for my last few breaths and order the crew to leave me there to rot over the next few days after assertaining that I don't have insurance. Of course I could be wrong.
Old July 31st, 2001, 11:23 PM
sailinglisa

2B2sea - they don't leave you gasping on the deck of the ship, but just like at home you will get the bills, or maybe even worse, not allowed to leave the country you were med evac'd to without paying a portion or the entire bill (including hospital stay.) I can't afford that, so I buy the insurance. It is a gamble, but it is one I glady make to have the peace of mind.
Old August 1st, 2001, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Lady Jag - Are you an attorney?
Old August 1st, 2001, 10:42 AM
Texas

Wow, what a response!?!?!?!

I didn't know there was travel insurance outside of the Cruiselines insurance. That's something I'll research.

Lady Jag is definitely thinking like me. Except I would cancel or return home if my parents/child was ill or dead.

Is insurance through Travelex, Access America and CSA cheaper than buying through the cruiselines? My TA didn't offer insurance outside of the cruiselines. Is this something I should be concerned about and start looking for a new TA?

I still think $100 for insurance for a 7 night cruise is a lot. My car insurance for a month on a 2001 Honda Accord is only $97...and that's full coverage for my husband and I.

I still think the price of cruise insurance is a big reap off.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Will I buy insurance? Probably not. But my husband insist on us purchasing insurance on everything so we probably will purchase insurance on our next cruise.
Old August 2nd, 2001, 12:25 PM
hollyd

Just from my own personal experience, Access America had the best rates that I could find and they are definitely better prices than through the cruise line.

I have bought the insurance for every cruise that I have been on except a short 4 day one. I figured that I was definitely going since I was taking my parents with us and my two (very competent) sisters would be taking care of my son. Other than that, as you start to get a little older (40 and up) you start to realize that there are any number of things that could happen to cause a delay or cancellation of your wonderful trip and I just want to be covered in any case.

I will be checking into the yearly policy thought, that sounds great.
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

i think it's better to be safe than sorry. Sure there are some insurance that are overpriced and you could definitely do better without. But it gives a form of security somehow, especially in a foreign country. If something happens, it's definitely better than nothing.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jag View Post
Terry - What good would it do for me to be at a funeral? The person is already dead. Funerals are for the living, not the dead. I have a very large family and one less person for a few days wouldn't make a difference.
That says it all right there...WOW....
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Captain

buttons... do you spend all day running down others on the BBs whose sensibilities dont run parallel to yours? Honestly.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellekane View Post
i think it's better to be safe than sorry. Sure there are some insurance that are overpriced and you could definitely do better without. But it gives a form of security somehow, especially in a foreign country. If something happens, it's definitely better than nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
That says it all right there...WOW....
You do realize this thread is from 2001? Anyway, we always buy travel insurance, but not from the cruise line.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
buttons... do you spend all day running down others on the BBs whose sensibilities dont run parallel to yours? Honestly.
In this case, I agree with Buttons. I did cancel a cruise to attend a funeral and my insurance came through.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jag View Post
Our answer: Not to buy. No way, no how would I buy cruise insurance. I'm going, no matter what and nothing's stopping me!! I don't care if I'm sick (where else would you be better taken care of) or someone in my family is sick (I know they'd rather have me on the cruise). I cannot think of one reason that would stop me from going on the cruise.

Call me reckless or a gambler, but that's what works for me.
You're reckless AND a gambler. You're inconsiderate too, in saying that you'd happily board a ship when you or a member of your family is sick. You must know how fast infections can tear through a ship, and how your selfishness could easily ruin the vacations of many others.

And, where else would you be better taken care of than on a ship? Almost anyplace. The doctors on ships are perfectly OK by and large, but their facilities are limited, and they're not specialists. If they had the kind of resources that are available on land, nobody would ever have to be medevaced, yet that happens all the time.
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Never buy the insurance offered by the cruise line. Ask your agent to give you quotes. The agents usually have several other sources for this usually better coverage and lots less money. Insurance is important. You never know what can happen. Better safe than sorry.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 21st, 2012, 04:37 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
You're reckless AND a gambler. You're inconsiderate too, in saying that you'd happily board a ship when you or a member of your family is sick. You must know how fast infections can tear through a ship, and how your selfishness could easily ruin the vacations of many others.

And, where else would you be better taken care of than on a ship? Almost anyplace. The doctors on ships are perfectly OK by and large, but their facilities are limited, and they're not specialists. If they had the kind of resources that are available on land, nobody would ever have to be medevaced, yet that happens all the time.
One small reminder, if you are sick and lie on the precruise statement and you cause financial loss to the cruise line by requiring that the ship be cleaned or delay departure, you could be sued and lose a lot of money. The cruise lines have good lawyers.