Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Default Small Tables Versus Large

Which do you prefer? We like a table for eight so that we can talk to new friends every night at dinner. In 14 cruises, we have had one table for four, one for six and the rest for eight. Without exception, we enjoyed tham all.

Paul B
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Small Tables Versus Large

give me a large table every time..i like an eclectic mix of people..on my 1st cruise my husband daughter and i ate in a booth....it was like eating supper at home!
Old July 30th, 2001, 10:18 PM
rsawick

On our last 2 cruises, my wife and I ate alone at a table for 2. It is like eating at home, except the food is more varied than what I usually make at home. As far as eating at home with my wife... almost every night since 1968 and as much as I would like to duplicate the 30+ years, I don't think I'll live that long.
Old July 30th, 2001, 10:19 PM
sailinglisa

I like a large table, 8 or 10. I may be shy, but I love meeting new people, and where else better than over good food on a cruise ship?
Old July 30th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Admiral

I am confused - Lisa shy?

Lisa - watch out - someone is inpersonating you!

Theresa
Old July 31st, 2001, 12:01 AM
sailinglisa

! Theresa, you should have met me a few years ago.........I was really shy!!
Old July 31st, 2001, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If U hadn't guessed.. Kuki is a BIG table kind of guy! Always meet great folks... and have Xtra fun!! Mrs Kuki has heard all of my bad jokes 1000 times, so...

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 31st, 2001, 02:18 AM
Teach

We love table for 10 because there are new people to meet and you don't have to amuse some one all the time with so many you can sit back and just join in as the subject keeps changing. I hate it when you have a largr table and no one showes up with the new alternet dining as can happen on the mega ships.
Old July 31st, 2001, 06:40 AM
Admiral

3-day cruise, table for 2; longer cruise, table for 8 (Takes me a while to overcome my innate shyness)
Old July 31st, 2001, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, give me the large table as well! One of the nicest things about cruising is meeting new and interesting people. Have always had great tablemates, only way to dine.

DOnna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old July 31st, 2001, 10:56 AM
Admiral

A Large table is what works best for us but no more than 10. I like to move around the table each night in order to get to know other people better. Sometimes people look at me a little strange, but sitting next to someone new helps me hear and get to know them. I would never break up a family or traveling companions, but just sit to their left or right. Its lots of fun. Some cruisers think that once you sit down that is your chair for the Week! Not me.
Bon Voyage
Old July 31st, 2001, 11:01 AM
Bensley's

Lisa, I know what you mean. You are shy around people you are not familiar with. Those you know, you are ALL YOU!
Same here. I am not good at meeting new people. Sometimes being called a snob, simply because I didn't know what to say or what to talk about.
I still think a large table is the best way to meet people, however, the tables for ten are so large, you can't hardly hear someone at the opposite end. The table for 8 is great. Circular in shape, it is easier to hear everyone.

I have my shy side too, but some would say, NO WAY!
Like maybe Pamda may think I am not so shy. :o)
Old August 1st, 2001, 12:16 AM
sailinglisa

Carole - you so eloquently stated what I am like!

Theresa - if I hadn't gotten to know a lot of people via the internet before the Millie in Feb, I would have been having panic attacks before the cruise. As it was, I had enough things going through my mind to cause me some grief, but it all turned out OK. My friends thought I was nuts to go on a cruise with people I had never met face to face, but my family (especially my Dad) thought it was really neat (I didn't tell him I was rooming with a guy until after I got back! lol)
Old August 1st, 2001, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

I like the table large tables 8-10 and prefer a round table for conversation.

DeniseZ
Old August 2nd, 2001, 03:39 PM
hollyd

If your sailing by yourself or as a couple, a larger table is great because you get to meet new people from different places with different cruise experiences to tell and about cruise lines that maybe you haven't sailed on yet. If you go with a group, probably a table for just your group so that you can converse and catch-up with the people that you are traveling with.

My husband and I had a table for two on our one and last Costa cruise and it was nice to be alone because we spent our mealtimes "dissing" the cruise line or the ship or the staff and service. But otherwise enjoy talking to lots of different people.