Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2001, 09:08 AM
barb (aka martinimomma)

Default What Types of Small Gifts to Take on Med Cruise

we want to take small souvenirs from Washington, DC to give to our tour guides in Istanbul, Rome and Cairo...they could also be candy, chocolate, coffee, coffee mugs, what do you folks recommend? something that packs well is a must...any thoughts?
One in our group thought taking the new US dollar coins would be novel -- Thanks in advance for your great ideas!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2001, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)
Default Re: What Types of Small Gifts to Take on Med Cruis

You know how some of the street vendors sell tee shirts 4 for $10...they would make great gifts that aren't too expensive.

DeniseZ
Old August 1st, 2001, 09:47 AM
Admiral

If you have time, how about sticking some pretty commemorative stamps onto flex magnets and making refrigerator magnets for them? Inexpensive, small, easy to pack, and very certainly "made in the USA."
Old August 1st, 2001, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Barb,
If u've booked female guides u could take them a congressman... or maybe an ex President <G>

We always take along T shirts for our dining room staff.. I have quite a collection of pics of me with our various staff from different shirts. Up here there's a brewery who's advertising campaign is .. I am Canadian. The staff all seem to get a kick out of these, and saves me tipping (just kidding.. REALLY, )

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 1st, 2001, 02:12 PM
hollyd

The idea about the new american dollars sounds really good. The Sacagewia (sp) Golden Dollar coins would be great.

One day I hope to be going on a med cruise, but for now I have to stay at home and work towards my next cruise.
Old August 1st, 2001, 03:03 PM
JimG

Believe it or not, I had an Antiguan port vendor just last December, refuse to accept a Sacagawa dollar. Two years ago, A Trinidadian refused a 2 dollar bill, saying his bank wouldn't accept them. These folks aren't going to keep and treasure any form of money. They need the cash to live. I just hate to sound negative here, but I went down with the same cute ideas, was dumbfounded at first, but have learned my lesson. Do your tipping with a big wad of crisp new single dollar bills.
Old August 1st, 2001, 03:19 PM
martinimomma

Hey Jim, I am saying gifts, not tips...american dollars spend well anywhere just about. I have been told it is courteous to take gifts (just like you would take a gift of wine or flowers for your hostess at a dinner party or cookout)...I think we're at T-shirts for now...and I always carry ones, fives and tens for tips...and I am not reluctant to hand it out if the service is there and it's good. Martinimomma (aka big tipper by her cheap hubby BlueSteel)... Cruise On, friends!!!!
Old August 1st, 2001, 04:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, I always take Canadian key chains,pins and pens for gifts to give to anyone who askes where I'm from or admires the key chain and pin I always wear when I'm off ship.The locals love them!!!!!
Old August 2nd, 2001, 12:13 AM
Lady Jag

My parents always take novelty pens to give to kids when they travel. The kids seem to go crazy over them, but I cannot think of what the adults would like that you will meet. Something very American would be best. Maybe you could visit a local touristy type shop and get ideas?

I'm with Kuki - send the ex-president and the senators! Just make sure they can't get back home! <G>
Old August 2nd, 2001, 08:54 AM
barb (aka martinimomma)

Many thanks for all the ideas...I'm going with keychains, tote bags and I found a place that has some corny men's ties and baseball caps!!! that should work, huh!!! MM
Old August 2nd, 2001, 10:56 AM
JimG

I didn't mean to imply any non tipping! I just meant to say that 1 dollar coins and 2 dollar bills tend to be confusing to some foreign recipients.