Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2001, 02:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default West Coast Cruises

Hello everyone,
Got an idea. Florida has an abundance of cruises, but on the West Coast not much at all, Mexican Riv and Baja. Once in awhile Hawaii.
So let us put our heads together and come up with an itinerary for the West Coastal cruises. More than a reposition.

How about we start with this?
San Diego, Los Angelus, San Francisco, Columbia River, Portland, Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver, of course with sea time inbetween.

Anyone else to add ... subtract? Extend for more days what ever you like. It is your itinerary.

Y2C
Tuesday West Coast Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2001, 09:00 AM
First Mate

Default Re: West Coast Cruises

I like your idea!!!. We live in western CO. and can drive to Calif. We have been to the Mexican Riviera 3 times would like to sail somewhere else. Airfare to Florida is almost as much as a cruise. We should get up a petition and send it to the cruise lines. I think we could full the ships if the offered something other than Mexico.
Old August 7th, 2001, 09:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

Boy, do I agree! Every time I see one of these bargain cruise fares I get all excited, until I add in the airfare from Arizona. I love your idea for an itinerary, Y2C, although airfare isn't cheap between here and Victoria or Vancouver, either.
Jennifer
Old August 7th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Audrey Belcher

I have not done the Mexican cruise as yet but am thinking of it for next summer. A cruise without airfaire that would be great I still would not like to live on the East coast it gets too cold for me. They are coming out with the Princess Star next year so atleast we will be getting a new ship out here in Calif.
Old August 7th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Isnt there something about the Jones Act ?---- any cruise sounds good if I dont have to worry about the added airfare
April
Old August 7th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Jenny

Boy do I agree, Y2C. We live in Seattle and have done the Mexican Riviera a couple of times, and the Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria-Seattle a couple of times. The Seattle cruises are only available a couple of months of the year. It would be wonderful to do the entire West Coast!
Old August 7th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

i realize the east coast has it easy.............BUT i would suggest a cruise that leaves from either ft lauderdale or miami,and goes to nassau, bermuda and a private island with days at sea.....i would love to do a cruise from san diego that would include catalina..there may be one now..that island looks sooo pretty!
trip....friday chat host
Old August 7th, 2001, 09:33 PM
sailinglisa

Houw about r/t from San Francisco - stopping in Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver and a day of cruising the inside passage and then back on down the coast?
Old August 7th, 2001, 10:45 PM
cruisin'dj

i hate to be a bummer, but the jones act prohibits, or used to, any foriegn flagged and registered vessel from stopping in 2 us ports without a foriegn port in between.looking at the recent itinerarys of hawaii, i don't know if this still applies, but i would LOVE to cruise out of seattle...
Old August 8th, 2001, 12:31 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

I don't think it's that they can't stop in 2 consecutive US Ports. After all, there are ships that leave Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and stop in Key West, and the new Norwegian Star departs Honolulu and then docks in Kona before heading to Fanning Island, then Lahaina, Nawiliwili, and then back to Honolulu. I think it's just that they have to go to a foreign country somewhere in there.
Jennifer
Old August 8th, 2001, 12:33 AM
Passenger

cruisin'dj

Your close. The act prohibits any passengers on a foriegn flagged ship from embarking or disembarking in two different US ports with out a foriegn port in between. Some cruise lines ,Carnival for instance, stops in Key West and Miami or Tampa and New Orleans on the same cruise. But both itineries have foriegn ports of call. Most Hawaii cruise stop at all 5 islands, but either start\stop in Ensenada or Vancouver. The key is not being able to embark or disembark. Don't know if it's true, but I heard a story that a very sick passenger had to wait for the foriegn port to be let off the ship to go to the hospital (hard to believe).

LS5099
Old August 8th, 2001, 08:00 AM
hollyd

Being an East Coaster, I would also like to see a cruise that goes out of either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and do Nassau and Bermuda with some great sea days.
Old August 8th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Passenger

HAL is doing some neat itineraries into the Sea of Cortez -- nice alternative to the Riviera, which is all we have here, basically. Boooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggg.

Then there is the west coast as a jumping off point to Tahiti, the Orient, or just a 7-day cruise up the coast with Vancouver as the foreign port. Add a stop in San Francisco or Catalina, whatever the PSA allows. More Hawaii cruises would be nice -- only HAL does the roundtrip right now. And, the PSA must allow 2 consecutive stops in a U.S. port -- there are hundreds of those each year going to Catalina and then to the Riviera, not to mention the Key West example cited.

I saw a neat unusual itinerary that Princess offered last year -- only 1 cruise -- but it stopped at many islands that were critical battlefronts in WWII -- Guadalcanal, Midway, etc. It was a long one but boy would I have loved to have been able to take that. (I had one already booked, poor me....)

Yes, some of these were longer but we could afford them because half our trip cost and lots of time is not tied up in airfare. As it is now, we take 16 day cruises out of the east coast AND add airfare.

How many more cruises can one take if he/she doesn't have to pay air all the time? Would you rather cruise than fly? Gee, this is getting hard, .

And, you COULD say there are large population centers out west that consider the coast (especially southern California) just a hop -- like Las Vegas, fastest growing U.S. metro area; Phoenix, now 7th largest U.S. city. Denver and its nearby large cities aren't exactly chopped liver either! Salt Lake City? Not to mention all the populous cities on the west coast of California.

Yeah, we could fill a few ships. I think the cruise lines are waking up to this fact as there are more and bigger ships going out of the Gulf as well as the west coast (unfortunately basically just doing the Riviera....). There are ships to fill and more coming. To ignore this untapped market is just plain dumb and the major cruise lines are anything but dumb.

Sammy
Old August 10th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Jim Wehe

That cruise sounds great to me add in catalina a real fun place. keep me posted
Easy drive from phoenix to L.A. Jim
Old August 10th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Jim Wehe

There is a cruise that does L.A Sandeago Catalina And ensenada twice a week
Old August 14th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Lady Jag

There are cruises that do basically the same route you requested in your post. They are repositioning cruises though - nothing permanent. Wish they'd do a 7 day cruise from San Diego to San Francisco and back. That darn Jones Act has everything all a mess. Those of us on the West Coast need more than the usual Mex. Riv. and Baja cruises!