Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2001, 08:12 PM
WillaT

Default When do ships sell out?

My husband and I are sailing the Sensation Nov 11th. While checking prices we were told the ship was sold out. This is the sailing before the Thanksgiving cruise. Is it normal for ships to sell out during the fall? Should we expect many kids on the cruise since school will still be in session? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2001, 10:09 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: When do ships sell out?

Willa - there might be some group space that opens up soon - keep checking the web site and checking with your TA a little more than 60 days prior to the sailing.
Old September 1st, 2001, 10:25 PM
WillaT

We already have our cabin. We were just checking the prices to see if they had gone down. We were just wondering how crowded the ship might be and how many kids to expect on this cruise.
Old September 2nd, 2001, 04:05 AM
Tjukka

The ship sell's out when it has sail Unless passengers have missed the ship and are arriving in the next port. Cabin' usually open up about 30 days before the cruise when it is time to turn them back over to the cruise line.
Tj
Old September 2nd, 2001, 10:40 AM
Admiral

What is interesting is that 3 years ago I booked the Sea Princess in February and it was sold out by July.

This year I booked the Grand Princess (for similiar itiniary) for Thanksgiving and it still has cabins available. For the most part - I think the Grand class ships have been more popular than Sun class ships.

My only guess is that there have been tons of new ships in the last couple of years and ships are not filling up as quickly as they used to.
Old September 2nd, 2001, 12:20 PM
Admiral

That Sea Princess booking was for the same week - Thanksgiving. Sorry -- didn't clarify.
Old September 2nd, 2001, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Theresa wrote:
>
>
> This year I booked the Grand Princess (for similiar itiniary)
> for Thanksgiving and it still has cabins available. For the
> most part - I think the Grand class ships have been more
> popular than Sun class ships.
>
I'm not sure if I am part of the majority, but I much prefer the Sun class of ships to the Grand class. Though it didn't stop me from choosing the Golden P for New Years <G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 2nd, 2001, 01:38 PM
sailinglisa

Kuki - count me among those who prefer the Sun class ships. The Grand is very nice, but I much preferred the Sea!
Old September 2nd, 2001, 04:16 PM
Admiral

I agree - I probably prefer the Sun class ships - but I do think the Grand class ships are bigger sellers (thus they are in markets that are more popular. I have seen so many sailings for Dawn, Sea Ocean (when doing a 7 day) go for $499 - you never see the Grand going for that price.

I have looked at several other ships sailing at Thanksgiving - and none of them are completely sold out like they were a couple of years ago.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 04:35 PM
Lady Jag

I would expect a lot of kids, but at least with Princess, they limit the number they will allow on board. What a relief! If only ALL the cruise lines would do this! Don't get me wrong - we have kids and they always cruise with us, but even THEY don't like tons of kids on board!

All the kids in our area get the week before Thanksgiving week off. It won't be as crowded as it will be on Thanksgiving week with kids, but there will still be a lot.

What I usually do is called Princess (1-800-PRINCESS) and ask them how many kids are on my sailing. They happily give this information out and will also tell you if the number of young kids Under 3 has been met. For our cruise in May, the Under 3 Group was filled about 6 months ahead of sailing. They would not allow anymore Under 3's on the ship. (Thank God!)