Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2001, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Default Poll: Personal Choice

Getting ready to make my final payment on the Grand for Thanksgiving. We were waitlisted #200 for first seating and did get it within a few weeks of booking.

Now my question to you:

Those who have gone Personal Choice on Carribean sailings - are you glad you did?

Those who have gone traditional since Personal Choice has been implemented - are you glad you did? Also - did you ever "switch" over to Personal Choice dining for a couple of nights. If so - did it matter? Did anyone say anything?

Trying to decide if we want to keep personal choice.

Thanks!
Theresa
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2001, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Poll: Personal Choice

We genuinely enjoyed Personal Choice dining on the Grand. Not having to be in a certain place at a specific time added so much to our overall experience. We opted for dinner for two on two nights, and it was a wonderful change of pace. Once you get past the tipping policy (I always added a few bucks anyway, as I tip more than the recommended amounts), it's a piece of cake. We met so many more people (including waitstaff, who were absolutely delightful!), and really relaxed for every minute of the cruise. We didn't feel a need to flip-flop, nor did we patronize the "designer cafes." There was plenty of good food at all venues. Of course, you know that you can tip-as-you-go by just letting the purser know that you don't want your account charged the $6.50 pp daily. We're booked on the Golden 12/15, and look forward to PC dining again. Now that I've posted my opinion, it's time to wait for those people who hated it to come forth!! I guess that's what Personal Choice is all about, huh??
Old September 3rd, 2001, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Question for Al - I am one of those that generally tips more than what is recommended. How did you handle this with Personal Choice - did you just give the wait staff an envelop at the end of dinner?
Old September 3rd, 2001, 09:17 PM
First Mate

I signed up for PC on the Sea in October. I'll let you know how I like it when i return.

Doug
Old September 3rd, 2001, 10:19 PM
Palm Trees

DougH, do you have to make a decision about PC before the cruise? Can you just go to first seating the first few nights and then "check it out?" I agree about the tipping policy being confusing--and I read every post about Golden or Grand.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 11:00 PM
sailinglisa

Palm Trees - it is my understanding that if you want to do traditional you must sign up for it when you book. If you just want to try personal choice a couple of nights, then book traditional and try it. You cannot switch from personal choice to traditional during the cruise.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Theresa,
I would think that for you, Bunny and Island Dog the 'traditional' dinning choice would be better. Personal choice would put you at a different table every night, with different people, unless you opted for a small "table for two" and I can't see you ladies doing that!
And I think the others have given you good info on making your choice pre-cruise. As you found there was a wait list for first seating, so there is still demand for the 'traditional' dinning form.
As for the tipping, if you are going to do personal choice then I'd go with the auto payment form that Princess has instituted, and hand out envelope's with the additional gratuity on the last night, as usual.

Have fun planning this trip (and all the others you three have on the books!)

Dall & Pat
Old September 4th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Admiral

When you book - you tell your TA if you want traditional (first or late) or personal choice. Ofcourse you can change it along the booking process but from what I can see - Traditional books up very quickly.
Old September 4th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Need to clarify - trying to decide if I want to keep traditional!

Thanks!
Old September 4th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Lady Jag

Theresa - We're SO glad we did it and we'll NEVER go back to traditional dining!!!

The flexibility is wonderful. Who wants to be rushed or have to keep a schedule when they're on vacation? That's what being on vacation means - do "what you want, when you want" to paraphrase Princess' motto!